Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cheostian

01-11-2013

Well,

Good work winners. Here was my entry, which didn't show in voting.

A Wild Magikarp

01-11-2013

I'm not the crying type... more the emo rage type. I don't think that's appropriate here because it shows disrespect to the hard work of others... still extra bummed because I just got up to the hotel we'll be staying at for the funeral of a dear family member and I was really hoping to bring at least a little cheer to the family with good news on the cooking front. (On the bright side, fresh apple turnovers are gooooooooooood!)

I want to add in too that I don't see Reikii's Dominion submission in the fan voting section and that deeply bothers me. That was one of the cleanest submissions that I've seen and deserves an opportunity to be voted on. While I wouldn't dare try and place my submission in front of someone else's in the fan voting section, I will most certainly say that Reikii's submission is 110% worthy of being in that gallery.

Not that it's any consolation to you, but just know from one bummed summoner to another, you absolutely deserve some form of a reward for what you made and I hope you don't feel let down. Hope to see another awesome submission from you the next time around! =)

Szotyoláné

01-11-2013

Well, Riot, I'm truly disappointed. We were making our submission for 3 days, and you pick a ward skin, which is just plain gingerbread with some lines on it? I can understand that we didn't win, but not even be in the voting section? I watched the pictures with impartiality, and I think this wasn't fair. I feel bad because all the hard work, hoping, everything, was for nothing. Its not about prize, just some honorable mention.
Is it because I could not make the picture exactly 1280 and whatever?
Sorry for my psyching out, but I was really hoped that we at least get in the voting section. I'm very very disappointed.

Quote:
I want to add in too that I don't see Reikii's Dominion submission in the fan voting section and that deeply bothers me. That was one of the cleanest submissions that I've seen and deserves an opportunity to be voted on.
A Wild Magikarp, I couldn't agree more with your comment.

Lilybet

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaann View Post
Same. lol
Me too. I really put a lot of work into making sure that mine was visibly make of cookies and fit the theme. Seeing so much fondant is making me not want to do another contest if they're going to judge like this.

Lucidia

01-11-2013

Mine didn't make any of the cuts :[ Very disappoint...

Szotyoláné

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybet View Post
Me too. I really put a lot of work into making sure that mine was visibly make of cookies and fit the theme. Seeing so much fondant is making me not want to do another contest if they're going to judge like this.
I won't either.

Shaann

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybet View Post
Meh. I used fondant on mine too. I don't think that using fondant should be an automatic dq. More than 90% of my submission was gingerbread alone. I'm not upset about that, though; I'm upset that I didn't even get an opportunity to place. It makes me feel pretty horrible that I didn't get to be a part of the voting. Like someone else said, I do think mine looks better than some of the ones that did make it.

Ombria

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Dear Riot,

I understand that it is impossible to please everyone, and contests will always have those who feel disappointed or slighted. However, I'd just like to note a few of the clarifications that were made in this thread that led some participants to believe judging would be handled in a different manner. Many of the entries posted as top selections are lovely, but do not seem to fit with the following:

Page 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikasaur View Post
What is the appeal of making festive holiday iconography into food?
...Your challenge: Make a League of Legends-themed gingerbread sculpture!...
Page 5, clarifications:
Quote:
The focus is on using gingerbread and cookies, so it'd be wise to use them as a primary ingredient... but I'm down for some creativity.
Quote:
You can use other materials, but it should primarily BE gingerbread or be in a gingerbread style.
You know, those gingerbread houses? Yeah them!

...Yes, you have to visibly have gingerbread, graham crackers or cookies in the creation, and bonus points if it's the focus of the submission.
If it is not visible, it is not eligible.
Official rules, part 6:

6. Judging. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, shall choose all prize winners except the Summoner’s Choice prize winner from all eligible entries.
Winners shall be chosen by Sponsor based upon the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) creativity; and (iii) visual appeal, with equal weight
being given to each criterion.
Applying the same criteria, Sponsor shall then select a small pool from the remaining Entrants that will be eligible
for Summoner’s Choice, and those entries will be displayed from approximately 1/3/2012 to 1/12/2012 for online voting, with voters asked to apply the
following criteria in making their selections: (i) originality; (ii) creativity; and (iii) visual appeal, with equal weight being given to each criterion.

In closing:
I know I took great care in planning out my entry to conform to the aforementioned. Some of the selected entries are simply individual cookies as opposed to anything that is standing and/or built up to fit the sculpture/display requirement. Some do not represent a holiday theme (though I see this was not listed as an official rule, but seemed synonymous with 'gingerbread' since it is typically a holiday treat). Some are lacking in creativity and originality, as there are multiple entries representing the same concepts.

This post is simply to ask that in future contests, please ensure that judging is based around rules and clarifications given. I realize that in many ways judging is subjective, but as you may see from other community members' replies, there may have been a lack of continuity between official guidelines and the judging process. I look forward to future contests as I did enjoy creating (and eating) my entry and, of course, love League. Thank you for your time, and best regards.

GoddessShallah

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wild Magikarp View Post
still extra bummed because I just got up to the hotel we'll be staying at for the funeral of a dear family member and I was really hoping to bring at least a little cheer to the family with good news on the cooking front. (On the bright side, fresh apple turnovers are gooooooooooood!)
I am so sorry to hear about that.

Lilybet

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaann View Post
Meh. I used fondant on mine too. I don't think that using fondant should be an automatic dq. More than 90% of my submission was gingerbread alone. I'm not upset about that, though; I'm upset that I didn't even get an opportunity to place. It makes me feel pretty horrible that I didn't get to be a part of the voting. Like someone else said, I do think mine looks better than some of the ones that did make it.
I don't mind that you used fondant at all. However, most of the winners they picked primarily used fondant as a base for what they were doing. it was the focus, not the gingerbread/cookie/graham crackers.