Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Removal of Steel Legion Lux.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ulevo

12-31-2012

The problem I have with many of the complaints against this skin is that almost all of the current skins for her, honestly, are not that great. They look outdated and unpolished. Sure, you guys are tired of the military theme, but many (including myself) think this is an AWESOME looking skin. And even if you disagree, I'm sure most of you aren't jumping to buy her current ones.

Whether or not Lux receives this skin isn't going to make your dreams of Lux jumping around in lane with pom poms, candy canes, and magical wands happen any sooner. It's going to give the players who LIKE the idea of a military theme Lux have something GOOD to use.

I don't disagree with your displeasure of not having a (good) magically themed Lux skin. That sucks, I hear you. But hating on this isn't going to fix it.

Riot, I hope you release the skin with its features largely in tact to its original concept. I feel the proportion of people who will buy it vs the portion of complaints perpetuated on the forums will be drastically favoured in the former, and I will probably play Lux support exclusively because of this skin.

Edit: I normally don't post on these forums by the way. But I thought this was worth the post.

RavenHusky

12-31-2012

Quote:
Ulevo:
The problem I have with many of the complaints against this skin is that almost all of the current skins for her, honestly, are not that great. They look outdated and unpolished. Sure, you guys are tired of the military theme, but many (including myself) think this is an AWESOME looking skin. And even if you disagree, I'm sure most of you aren't jumping to buy her current ones.

Whether or not Lux receives this skin isn't going to make your dreams of Lux jumping around in lane with pom poms, candy canes, and magical wands happen any sooner. It's going to give the players who LIKE the idea of a military theme Lux have something GOOD to use.

I don't disagree with your displeasure of not having a (good) magically themed Lux skin. That sucks, I hear you. But hating on this isn't going to fix it.

Riot, I hope you release the skin with its features largely in tact to its original concept. I feel the proportion of people who will buy it vs the portion of complaints perpetuated on the forums will be drastically favoured in the former, and I will probably play Lux support exclusively because of this skin.

Edit: I normally don't post on these forums by the way. But I thought this was worth the post.

Of the four skins Lux does have, many believe that Spellthief is the best of them, because it is the most colorful. Yeah, people wanted the commando skin to fit in with the Demacian Commandos, but it wasn't that well done. Then we have Imperial. That splash art is nice, but the model in game is ugly. The issue isn't necessarily that it is military, but it's the 3rd one in a row, regardless of quality.

Many people who don't like this skin said that they were willing to wait a while for a skin that they would buy should Riot either scrap or put this one on hold. The release of this skin would make 5 for her, and make it very unlikely for her to get another in the future.

Also, as with one of the other major complaints, as someone in one of the other threads put it, for a girl who has command of all the colors of the rainbow, why did Riot believe that grey was the most fitting for her?

Ulevo

12-31-2012

Quote:
RavenHusky:
Of the four skins Lux does have, many believe that Spellthief is the best of them, because it is the most colorful. Yeah, people wanted the commando skin to fit in with the Demacian Commandos, but it wasn't that well done. Then we have Imperial. That splash art is nice, but the model in game is ugly. The issue isn't necessarily that it is military, but it's the 3rd one in a row, regardless of quality.

Many people who don't like this skin said that they were willing to wait a while for a skin that they would buy should Riot either scrap or put this one on hold. The release of this skin would make 5 for her, and make it very unlikely for her to get another in the future.

Also, as with one of the other major complaints, as someone in one of the other threads put it, for a girl who has command of all the colors of the rainbow, why did Riot believe that grey was the most fitting for her?

The fact that she has no good skin IS an issue. That is what I am arguing. Spellthief might be considered the best by popular opinion (subjective statement, we don't have the data ourselves, but whatevs), but it still doesn't look like an impressive skin. Riot can do better, and provide more polished, up to date skins for her.

Again, why would putting this on hole or scrapping it help fix this problem? You haven't answered that. You've just suggested that people would be willing to do so, but what does that accomplish?

If you're implying that it means it will consume less resources and time for the development team, and thus it will take less time to make a new, "more desirable" skin for Lux, I hardly see this as her skin was nearly complete. Heck, her Steel Legion skin could have been sold as was with fixed particle effects and people would have STILL bought it, as has been repeatedly expressed.

If you mean to say it has to be done, otherwise Lux will have too many skins and thus will be less likely to receive a new one, I hardly see that as a problem. Riot has never claimed to have an official limit on skins for champions, and if they did want to impose one in this case, it would be better for them to retire some of her current skins to the vault to make open for new skins. Economically speaking, this is also the smarter decision for riot, as it will allow for sales and other business opportunity.

Yeah, you want a different themed skin. But this one is already pretty much made, and I think throwing it away is basically a horrible idea. There's nothing Lux currently has that looks any better, and there is nothing that's been said thus far that leads me to believe Lux can't see future skins that deviate from the militia theme. Heck, if it is any indication, the feedback we've been receiving from riot on this problem lately is proof that they're acknowledging the concerns, and it will probably be looked in too soon.

RavenHusky

12-31-2012

Quote:
Ulevo:
The fact that she has no good skin IS an issue. That is what I am arguing. Spellthief might be considered the best by popular opinion (subjective statement, we don't have the data ourselves, but whatevs), but it still doesn't look like an impressive skin. Riot can do better, and provide more polished, up to date skins for her.

Again, why would putting this on hole or scrapping it help fix this problem? You haven't answered that. You've just suggested that people would be willing to do so, but what does that accomplish?

If you're implying that it means it will consume less resources and time for the development team, and thus it will take less time to make a new, "more desirable" skin for Lux, I hardly see this as her skin was nearly complete. Heck, her Steel Legion skin could have been sold as was with fixed particle effects and people would have STILL bought it, as has been repeatedly expressed.

If you mean to say it has to be done, otherwise Lux will have too many skins and thus will be less likely to receive a new one, I hardly see that as a problem. Riot has never claimed to have an official limit on skins for champions, and if they did want to impose one in this case, it would be better for them to retire some of her current skins to the vault to make open for new skins. Economically speaking, this is also the smarter decision for riot, as it will allow for sales and other business opportunity.

Yeah, you want a different themed skin. But this one is already pretty much made, and I think throwing it away is basically a horrible idea. There's nothing Lux currently has that looks any better, and there is nothing that's been said thus far that leads me to believe Lux can't see future skins that deviate from the militia theme. Heck, if it is any indication, the feedback we've been receiving from riot on this problem lately is proof that they're acknowledging the concerns, and it will probably be looked in too soon.

Yeah, Lux's skins are outdated, and she is in need of a skin up to today's standards, and yeah, on it's own, Steel Legion Lux is nice, but you need to look at it from the point of view of Lux's established fanbase, beyond just the gameplay.

We see Lux as a lighthearted, bubbly, slightly crazy light mage who happens to be the kid sister of one of Demacia's best soldiers. We don't see her as that battle hardened soldier. Yeah, her lore says that she was in the military, but we already have the commando and imperial skins representing that. We see the Steel Legion skin as trying to fill a niche that commando and imperial are already filling, regardless of quality. It's also not fitting of a light mage to wear bulky dull colored armor.

Also, we have had a couple years worth of suggestions for Lux skins that don't involve the military side of her, and yet Riot creates 3 military skins in a row for her, while other champions receive community inspired skins like Battle Bunny Riven, Surprise Party Fiddlesticks, Mattcom skins Pool Party Ziggs and AstroNautilus, and I think Arcade Sona was also an obscure community idea. Why can't we get a skin for Lux that was community inspired? Especially since Ricklessabandon acknowledged the demand for a magical skin and said that he wanted one himself. Any changes to Lux that are not related to game balance are a sensitive issue ever since the Infinite Light fiasco because of how the fanbase was treated by Riot. Even the new default splash art was met with criticism.

As for whatever different skin that Riot should come up with, provided they do make a different skin, it would most likely be of similar quality to what Steel Legion Lux would have been. I never said it would take less resources to release a different skin. A lot of development is about iteration, and each time through the cycle only uses up more resources. Some concepts make it to the end of production without a hitch, some get sent back for further iteration like Pulsefire Ezreal, and some are seen as not feasible and get scrapped.

Also, when Riot makes a skin for a champion, unless it's Teemo or a select few other champions, it becomes less likely for that champion to receive a skin in the future, as there are several other champions that players are also requesting skins for, especially champions who only have one or two skins, like Soraka, Trundle, Rumble, or the more recently released champions from Varus onward. In 2013, Riot plans on adding another 14 characters to the game. That's another 14 characters that would need skins in addition to those released this year that only have one skin.

Many of us have said that we are willing to wait a few months for a skin that we are willing to buy. However, if Steel Legion Lux were to be released, that would make 5 skins for Lux, and would make our wait for a worthwhile skin that much longer, with Lux receiving another skin next December if we are lucky. There is no established quota, but each skin released makes it less likely for that champion to receive another one in the future.

Ricklessabandon said that when designing a skin, it should feel like the character first, and the theme second, and if it doesn't feel that way, they missed the mark, and boy did they miss the mark.

NovakNL

01-01-2013

Hate it when designers break down to the cries of a small percentage of the community.

MavJr

01-01-2013

Agree with Ullevo pretty much completely.

- Despite any and all complaints, Steel Legion Lux would've still been Lux's best skin up to date. Her current ones (including Spellthief) are depressingly under-par compared to the standard of most recent skins.

- Sure, it could use a bit of a colour-lift, maybe a bit more flourish/ radiance, but it isn't by any means an utter visual disappointment. It still looks entirely well done.

- Scrapping this skin is a terrible idea; despite the outcries of many - I still foresee great numbers of Lux enthusiasts jumping for the chance to purchase this skin. It's great for Lux to finally receive a half-decent skin, and to scrap something as well done, and as heavily worked on as this already would be a shame.

RavenHusky

01-01-2013

Quote:
NovakNL:
Hate it when designers break down to the cries of a small percentage of the community.

When the target audience for a skin doesn't like it, you have to admit that something is wrong.

You need to take everyone else out of the equation who doesn't care, which is the majority that you are talking about, focusing only on Riot's intended audience for the skin. If the intended audience doesn't like it and doesn't buy it, Riot doesn't make money. Yeah, there are some people that would buy it, but they are the minority.

Quote:
MavJr:
Agree with Ullevo pretty much completely.

- Despite any and all complaints, Steel Legion Lux would've still been Lux's best skin up to date. Her current ones (including Spellthief) are depressingly under-par compared to the standard of most recent skins.

- Sure, it could use a bit of a colour-lift, maybe a bit more flourish/ radiance, but it isn't by any means an utter visual disappointment. It still looks entirely well done.

- Scrapping this skin is a terrible idea; despite the outcries of many - I still foresee great numbers of Lux enthusiasts jumping for the chance to purchase this skin. It's great for Lux to finally receive a half-decent skin, and to scrap something as well done, and as heavily worked on as this already would be a shame.

Yeah, it's a nice skin, but it is not Lux's fanbase wanted, with the dull grey color and the REPITITION OF THE MILITARY THEME. People have already said that they would not buy it, and would continue to play the Spellthief skin. Those that wanted it scrapped/put on hold are trying to save Riot money that they could use to make a skin that the fanbase would buy.

You guys should go read the main threads on general discussion.

NovakNL

01-01-2013

Quote:
RavenHusky:
When the target audience for a skin doesn't like it, you have to admit that something is wrong.

You need to take everyone else out of the equation who doesn't care, which is the majority that you are talking about, focusing only on Riot's intended audience for the skin. If the intended audience doesn't like it and doesn't buy it, Riot doesn't make money. Yeah, there are some people that would buy it, but they are the minority.

Implying GD is the majority of Lux players. Okay.

RavenHusky

01-01-2013

Quote:
NovakNL:
Implying GD is the majority of Lux players. Okay.

Not even close. Of those who have an opinion on the skin that Riot is targeting with it, there are more people that don't like it than do.

MavJr

01-01-2013

Quote:
RavenHusky:
but it is not Lux's fanbase wanted

You have to stop saying this - because it's simply not true.

Since I myself main as Lux, and I did, and do still desire the skin since its release in the PBE, despite its apparent (and acknowledged) shortcomings, and regardless of its appropriateness to lore, or theme.

The game League of Legends in itself isn't strong on its ideas of lore anyway - given its lack of a unifying theme over its skins, and the multitude of eras/ cultural references from which its champions have been derived.

I mean, we've got champions and skins inspired by the Steampunk period, the medieval period, a futuristic/ sci-fi period, the ancient Greek and Egyptian periods, tribal culture, high-class British society, even ones based on modern subculture and contemporary references - let's face it - League of Legends is not one to pick a single unifying theme, and stick with it - despite the existence of its lore. And who cares if it doesn't! Riot's chosen to take this liberty with the League of Legends universe, and I see no reason to condemn it especially harshly for this. one. skin.

I'm sure that for a lot of Lux's fanbase, the fact that it would've been her best existing skin yet would've been a plenty sufficient enough reason to buy it. So regardless of lore, the only justifiable reason to revise this skin is to gain maximum profit; to please both the players already happy with the skin, as well as those having a whinge about its inappropriateness to lore or whatever.

It's good that Riot are taking in the feedback from the community & revising the skin (if that's still what they're doing) - I just hope all the angsty outbursts of outrage don't encourage them to scrap the skin altogether.