Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Removal of Steel Legion Lux.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheBuhdazzla

Senior Member

01-19-2013

inb4 steel legion lux becomes pulsefire lux and is released in late 2014.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arvalo

Junior Member

01-19-2013

Quote:
headhunter228:
Her creator no longer works for Riot. So, the people who came up with this skin idea don't know what's best for her, either.

And look at it from our perspective. You may like the skin, but what about the people who don't? The reason Riot pulled this skin is because one half of the community hated it, while the other liked it. No matter what Riot did with the old version of Steel Legion Lux, someone would've been excluded. Better to yank the skin and try to come up with something that everyone agrees is awesome.


I highly doubt Lux was designed and created in both lore and body by one single person. Teams of people generally work on this sort of stuff.

Anyways whats it matter if half the people dont like the skin? there is 4 other terrible lux skins for people to buy, let us have one that is actually cool, rather then some goofy sexy skin (she already kinda has one but its splash art and color scheme is horrible) and she has spell thief which fits the cute catagory (again with terrible splash art)

The things people are asking for already exist. Lux needs something that will make her a bad ass, not another of the many *** symbols of LoL.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlumlordThanatos

Senior Member

01-19-2013

Quote:
Eiryka:
Anyways whats it matter if half the people dont like the skin? there is 4 other terrible lux skins for people to buy, let us have one that is actually cool, rather then some goofy sexy skin (she already kinda has one but its splash art and color scheme is horrible) and she has spell thief which fits the cute catagory (again with terrible splash art)

You're right. They ARE terrible, and this skin was our chance to get something decent. She doesn't have a good skin, and this was Riot's chance to deliver, but so many people hated it, she STILL wouldn't have had a good skin that the majority of Lux players would want to buy.

Look at it from a business perspective. Wouldn't you rather release a skin that the majority of people would like, or release a skin that maybe half the community would like, and even less would purchase?

Just because YOU like the skin (and there is nothing wrong with this) doesn't mean that enough people share your opinion to make this skin worth Riot's time and effort to create. The evidence says otherwise.

Quote:
The things people are asking for already exist. Lux needs something that will make her a bad ass, not another of the many *** symbols of LoL.

Two things: One, you may be right about the "things we're asking for already exist" part, but as you stated earlier, our options are ****. Two, does Commando make her look like a badass? What about Imperial?

I don't want Lux to look like a badass, nor do I want to see her become the next Miss Fortune. Is that too much to ask?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mysnomer

Senior Member

01-20-2013

Quote:
ricklessabandon:
it's less about 'how vocal' an opinion is and more about how sound and broadly appealing it is. that is to say, 100 echoes of a particular opinion doesn't automatically trump 1 post of another opinion. the important thing is that every opinion is voiced so we can cross-reference them with other data we have, and fuel our discussions about direction and how to proceed.

so while it's probably much more likely that the more vocal posts will get a response, it's not the case that they have more weight based on the size of their voice. that's how i personally filter things, anyway.

tl;dr - voice your opinion if you want it heard—don't let the popularity of dissentient opinions dissuade you from posting.


Aether Wing Kayle covers her mouth and tries to stifle her laughter as she reads this post. Yes, Riot, you've made it quite clear how much our opinions matter to you. Whatever arcane logic got you to pull Steel Legion Lux, I'm sure forum outcry was a negligible component.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asatorrr

Senior Member

01-20-2013

In reading this thread, I've identified some things, and now have some questions.

1. The "anti-military theme" Lux fans are jealous.

2. The jealousy stems from two things, particles, and higher quality graphics on Lux's model.

3. We have no idea what kind of idea Riot would have for a non-military themed Lux if steel legion were to be replaced with a "magic girl" theme.

4. Knowing 3, why are the "magic girl" fans so anxious to get something? if you read through the thread people are throwing around ideas like bikini beach Lux, cheerleader Lux, etc. So what would happen if Riot picks one? Are the people who wanted cheerleader gonna be more angry that they went with beach party? And how angry are the military themed Lux fans gonna get over that skin? It seems like this skin has identified two types of interpretations of Lux, with two different fanbases...there won't be an easy solution to this that everyone will enjoy.

5. For me, the particles are a big proportion of a skin's allure, any champions' skins, not just Lux. I think it's safe to assume that Riot wants to give out a Lux skin with new particles. So what kind of new particles can you give a cheerleader Lux? A beach party Lux? Do you really want the lightning particles of steel legion for your cheerleader skin? Because that doesn't fit. The lightning fits steel legion, and given the way Lux's base particles are, it's pretty tough to come up with something different. New colors are one thing, but new effects are so much better.

Take Tyrant Swain for example. That skin was in the first batch of these "higher quality" 975 skins that we have come to embrace as the new standard. His particles are much nicer, his ult looks different, the snare looks malevolent, it's a big change for small details. A new Lux skin that doesn't make use of new particles feels like going backwards in skin quality.

If steel legion had never existed, if Riot had created a magic girl themed skin instead, a really well done one that didn't have new particles, or if the lightning particles didn't fit the skin, I'd be pretty damn upset, and would probably be here suggesting different ideas for particles. But that's not the case, and I don't want a frivolous cheerleader or bikini skin for Lux. I want a skin that finally showcases her power, one that feels good to use and stomp kids with on Summoner's Rift.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlumlordThanatos

Senior Member

01-20-2013

Quote:
Asatorrr:
In reading this thread, I've identified some things, and now have some questions.

1. The "anti-military theme" Lux fans are jealous.

2. The jealousy stems from two things, particles, and higher quality graphics on Lux's model.

3. We have no idea what kind of idea Riot would have for a non-military themed Lux if steel legion were to be replaced with a "magic girl" theme.

4. Knowing 3, why are the "magic girl" fans so anxious to get something? if you read through the thread people are throwing around ideas like bikini beach Lux, cheerleader Lux, etc. So what would happen if Riot picks one? Are the people who wanted cheerleader gonna be more angry that they went with beach party? And how angry are the military themed Lux fans gonna get over that skin? It seems like this skin has identified two types of interpretations of Lux, with two different fanbases...there won't be an easy solution to this that everyone will enjoy.

5. For me, the particles are a big proportion of a skin's allure, any champions' skins, not just Lux. I think it's safe to assume that Riot wants to give out a Lux skin with new particles. So what kind of new particles can you give a cheerleader Lux? A beach party Lux? Do you really want the lightning particles of steel legion for your cheerleader skin? Because that doesn't fit. The lightning fits steel legion, and given the way Lux's base particles are, it's pretty tough to come up with something different. New colors are one thing, but new effects are so much better.

Take Tyrant Swain for example. That skin was in the first batch of these "higher quality" 975 skins that we have come to embrace as the new standard. His particles are much nicer, his ult looks different, the snare looks malevolent, it's a big change for small details. A new Lux skin that doesn't make use of new particles feels like going backwards in skin quality.

If steel legion had never existed, if Riot had created a magic girl themed skin instead, a really well done one that didn't have new particles, or if the lightning particles didn't fit the skin, I'd be pretty damn upset, and would probably be here suggesting different ideas for particles. But that's not the case, and I don't want a frivolous cheerleader or bikini skin for Lux. I want a skin that finally showcases her power, one that feels good to use and stomp kids with on Summoner's Rift.

Again, with the people thinking that "badass military" or "magic girl/cutesy" are the only two directions to go with new Lux skins. A futuristic theme could work, give her the Hextech treatment, that would make perfect use of the new particles. Release a skin emphasizing her noble background. Hell, come out and do that "badass military" or "magic girl/cutesy" skin, as long as it was well done and awesome, people would buy it. Steel Legion was neither of those things. The fact that she already had two military skins is just gravy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asatorrr

Senior Member

01-20-2013

Quote:
headhunter228:
Again, with the people thinking that "badass military" or "magic girl/cutesy" are the only two directions to go with new Lux skins. A futuristic theme could work, give her the Hextech treatment, that would make perfect use of the new particles. Release a skin emphasizing her noble background. Hell, come out and do that "badass military" or "magic girl/cutesy" skin, as long as it was well done and awesome, people would buy it. Steel Legion was neither of those things. The fact that she already had two military skins is just gravy.


I never said those were the only two directions, military is what steel legion was, Riot put it out and I liked it. Then people started to show up saying, no it's bad, give us something cute and girly, hardly anyone said go hextech-ish or futuristic. The military thing wasn't something people were anticipating, Riot decided that, and people liked it, or hated it and said she needs a girly skin. The dichotomy developed because of this skin and the voice of those against it for something girly and cutesy. I'm not necessarily for the military theme, but I certainly like it better than girly and cutesy, especially for a character I consider to be one of the strongest females in the league.

So you're claim is that Steel Legion was neither well done nor awesome? I know people hated the color scheme for the armor, but that's not back-breaking work to fix or change. I like the concept of the armor and I think silver is the proper color for a light mage, seeing as silver (and nowadays aluminum) are used to make mirrors.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RavenHusky

Senior Member

01-20-2013

Quote:
Asatorrr:
I never said those were the only two directions, military is what steel legion was, Riot put it out and I liked it. Then people started to show up saying, no it's bad, give us something cute and girly, hardly anyone said go hextech-ish or futuristic. The military thing wasn't something people were anticipating, Riot decided that, and people liked it, or hated it and said she needs a girly skin. The dichotomy developed because of this skin and the voice of those against it for something girly and cutesy. I'm not necessarily for the military theme, but I certainly like it better than girly and cutesy, especially for a character I consider to be one of the strongest females in the league.

So you're claim is that Steel Legion was neither well done nor awesome? I know people hated the color scheme for the armor, but that's not back-breaking work to fix or change. I like the concept of the armor and I think silver is the proper color for a light mage, seeing as silver (and nowadays aluminum) are used to make mirrors.


The skin is awesome and very well done, however, it does nothing in terms of variety for us that the Commando and Imperial skins aren't already doing, and the theme has gotten stale. Also keep in mind, that this skin is also part mecha, and Riot has also put out a lot mecha skins for a lot of other champions lately also, and people are also getting tired of those.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

St Arkyn

Member

01-20-2013

Well based on the fact they pulled the skin and nothing more has been revealed, I'm really hoping for a complete change into Pulsefire Lux. I can dream can't I?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkkor

Recruiter

01-20-2013

I think that they should add a Saint Patrick's day skin for her and her ult is a rainbow. :3