How much soda/coke is too much?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swampf0x

10-12-2010

Hi there! First time posting in the off-topic section of the forums so I hope plenty of people can relate to my topic here.

I drink a lot of soda, a lot being 3-5 full glasses a day. I am 18, employed, and attending college in South Florida. I have been drinking soda ever since I was a little kid and have undoubtably grown an addiction to it. I have tried on multiple occasions to just stop drinking it completely but that usually results in day to day headaches and I'm never hungry for anything afterwards. When I do drink it, I get a short (15-20minute) "quench" and feel great and energized. About 30 minutes later I feel jittery, get shivers, and can almost feel the sugar running through my veins.

Again, its not so easy to just stop at this point; I have read a few health sites and forums that tell people with this case to just drink similar fluids like non-caffeinated soda or other soft drinks, but they don't deliver the same feeling that I "need" that Coca-Cola or Sprite do.

I have heard that by drinking too much soda, one can get diabetes quite easily. As serious of a problem as this sounds, I don't believe I have any of the forms of diabetes yet.

Anyway, was just sharing my addiction of soda with you guys. I'm curious as to how much soda you guys drink or if you avoid it completely. I personally love the taste and the initial feeling but hate the jitteryness and saggy feeling that inevitably follow. I am actually a bit underweight and have practically 0% bodyfat, I work out atleast 3 times a week, I used to avidly play Hockey but games have become my "sport" now. I can't help but drink it, I even go out and buy some whenever I know I shouldn't. I feel like I should be on some episode of Intervention, heh, maybe I should be.

KalosCast

10-12-2010

If you're not overweight and you're not rotting your teeth, it's not really that big of a deal.

The moment I moved out of my parent's house, I couldn't afford to guzzle it like I did in High School, that's basically the only reason I quit. I pick up a 12 of cherry cola now and then if it's on sale, but I have more important things to spend money on like tuition, books, rent, and booze.

gzboli

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Quote:
I have heard that by drinking too much soda, one can get diabetes quite easily. As serious of a problem as this sounds, I don't believe I have any of the forms of diabetes yet.
The more immediate problem is going to be damage to teeth. Soda is pure mouth-bacteria food and the additives (especially in fruit sodas) will tear at enamel.

I stopped drinking so much by always have an alternative handy. Glass of water at my desk, bottle in a backpack, etc. Switching to juice and then eventually watering it down can be helpful. Also I discovered that Asian green and black teas are bomb. My family had always bought European-style teas that are sweet or mixed with herbs (bleh), so I didn't know good tea existed ^ ^

KalosCast

10-12-2010

Not much of a fan of green tea, no flavor to it. A strong black tea is great though.

Though, if you try to substitute with something like Powerade or Vitamin Water, these are actually even worse for your teeth than pop is.

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampf0x View Post
All of the soda in the world isn't going to give you diabetes. The two biggest contributing factors are health background (your genes) and your overall lifestyle in regards to food. (Not just what you drink, but also what you eat.)

Soda really isn't the devil like a lot of people will tell you. It's primarily bad for your teeth, and while it's addicting, the overall health repercussions are basically minor unless you're already predisposed to said problems anyway.

This is coming from someone who doesn't even drink soda. (The carbonation makes my nose stuffy. ><)

KalosCast

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbablyTerribad View Post
Soda really isn't the devil like a lot of people will tell you. It's primarily bad for your teeth, and while it's addicting, the overall health repercussions are basically minor unless you're already predisposed to said problems anyway.
This.

The real problem with pop is that generally the people who drink a lot of it don't exercise enough to put off all the additional calories, or just rot their teeth. Conversely the people who are active enough don't drink it because it's bad for staying hydrated.

At the end of the day, it's just bubbly sugar-water and caffeine. Likely less bad for you than half the **** people order at Starbucks while tweaking over the antioxidant content of the blah blah blah health buzzwords. I used to work at one of these, it's amazing how many health-nuts see nothing wrong with ordering a drink made from whole milk, a pound of sugar, a little bit of coffee to look trendy, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce... but will rail off on a tangent if a Diet Coke gets too close to them. Then again, I live in the (formerly) fattest state of the world's fattest nation, so maybe this doesn't happen other places.

Lazy Lich

10-12-2010

Just brush 5 tiems a day and after every glass of soda lol. Or you can just buy 2 months worth fo advil and stop

Elan Tedronai

10-13-2010

I stopped drinking soda because I hate being addicted to anything. I realized I was getting headaches in the morning if I didn't have a bottle of Mt. Dew. I quit drinking soda that very day. Now I drink water almost exclusively. Soda once in a blue moon. Water is also good for your skin.

aldariz

10-13-2010

wow, soda is addictive? i had no idea...

SmokingJoeNL

10-13-2010

I barely eat or drink any sugar at all. It gives you a small boost, but your body has to compensate for it anyways, so it's not a real benefit.