Should Slay Belle Kat's recall be changed to Xmas Present idea?

Yes 433 86.25%
No 69 13.75%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Slay Belle Katarina recall animation. @Volibar pay attn.

1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Googiegames

12-13-2012

Edit:
GG guys, it's been fun but this final image is Riot's way of saying, "sorry, this is it."
https://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws...elle_comic.jpg

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVz...Q&index=13
In this video, Kat says: "Killing is my duty, fun is yelling SURPRISE!" So apparently that line was also removed. What's going on here?

Edit:
Please post in / upvote this thread and openly discuss if you support the cause so it can be bumped and seen by others. We need to let Riot know this is how the community feels.

Only thing stopping me from buying the skin is the CURRENT recall animation (candy cane slash)

You guys agree?

Everybody hates the current recall, which would be better fit for a taunt animation instead and should be used there. Here's an alternative recall idea Zerocaliber came up with that LOTS of people like and is in theme with the skin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocaliber View Post
What if instead of that, four sides of a box appear under her, she folds up her arms, and then the sides of the box all close around her and form a present. The present then disappears at the end of the recall. When she re-appears in the fountain, she cuts herself out out the present in a spinning slash.

There you go. Still has kind of that show-offy-ness the skin was going for, but at the same time, she can be a cool fighter when she slashes the present apart revealing herself. It definitely feels like something Katarina would do and is much more in her style (pretty, but deadly).

Maybe she can do a cutesy wink/wave as she is about to be closed within the present.

Riot has provided the standard cop-out answer to this well thought-out community idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
the removal of the previous recall happened way too late in the release process to allow us any time for further iteration, so we aren't able to explore suggestions like the present-themed idea or make adjustments to the current recall.

This is EXACTLY the response I remember from Harrowing 2011 when hundreds of us petitioned to change Haunting Nocturne's particles. Oh wait, they didn't say that back then? What, you're telling me they changed the skin for the better even AFTER the skin was released?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volibar View Post
I wanted to take the time to make a quick note about this and skins in general. We look at every skin and ask ourselves "what's going to be most awesome about this skin that fits in with the goal of the theme we're trying to convey?" We then create and price the skin based on the answer to that question. In the case of the Xareth skins, this was our bad and we knew we'd fix it right away, as that's not the awesome quality level anyone (us or you) expect.

With this Nocturne skin, the idea was much more "it's Nocturne dressed up as a sheet-ghost" not "Nocturne IS a sheet-ghost", and the white trail was simply just something we didn't think about in the context of implying other particle changes. After a lot of consideration, we decided that we potentially set expectations a little off via the white trail, and thus set up some people for a little bit of disappointment. As such, we've corrected and made the adjustments.

I do want to note in general that while we're happy to do this in cases like this, most of of the time we put a lot of thought and consideration into these things, and hopefully we'll do a better job in the future of making sure to be more thorough so the end result is in line with expectations. On a related note, we're pretty happy (and hope you are as well) with the rest of our skin releases!
Fun Fact: Volibar who stated the above is also the same one who removed Kat's original recall animation.

@Volibar, as of right now, the current Kat recall animation STILL doesn't fit with her thematically and it's too little. The end result we have here is NOT, in your words, "in line with expectations." Are you seriously "pretty happy" with this skin release?

My opinion: Slay Belle Kat's current recall animation is NOT in line with expectations and HAS lost value. Let's change the current candy cane slash animation to this Xmas Present recall! You guys agree?

Original thread for Zerocaliber's idea:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2892948

Original thread for Haunting Nocturne's Red Response:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...80272#16380272

Red cop-out response to there not being enough time left:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...84626#32384626

History behind this animation:

Slay Belle Kat was originally released on PBE with the following saucy recall animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegB...layer_embedded

Riot deemed it unthematic and too saucy.
"Originally stated by Volibar: You’re right. This doesn’t really fit with her thematically, and it’s too much. We’ll be removing it."
This was an authoritative decision, not a community decision. A large part of the community decried this decision but what's done is done, there's no going back and Riot has made it clear this version of the recall will never be used again.

Morello promised us not to remove value:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Just found out we ARE able to do a new animation. What is up in the air still. Don't wanna remove value.
It was replaced with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scyG...layer_embedded

Let's face it ladies and gents, the value HAS been removed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edits:
Edit: If time is of the issue, here's the simple modification from Zerocaliber's idea that may be less fanciful but possibly more practical. Have Kat recall like she normally does. She's looking up at the sky right? A simple large box that looks like a present falls from the sky and covers her (obviously with the floor of the box open so she can end up inside the box). At base, have her use Sinister Steel to slice through the present from inside, and the box can just fall apart. @Riot look, you can re-use her normal recall animation. You can reuse her Sinister Steel animation. All we are asking for is a gift box that drops from the sky and falls apart at base. HOW HARD IS THAT TO ANIMATE?

Edit: added the newest version of the splash art to bottom of this post so everybody can see how the idea perfectly matches the splash art.

Edit: 100 total votes thus far, keep up the good work!

Edit: Poll results thus far have been pretty even about 82% wanting a new recall with xmas present idea! Also, remember Haunting Nocturne's thread ended up with 837 votes against better particles, i.e. 837 disbelievers that did not believe in change. If people gave up seeing 837 votes against, would we have Haunting Nocturne like we do today? Do YOU believe in change?

Edit:
Even Veevos, who complained about the original recall and initiated it to get removed, supports this idea! Riot this shows you that people who "stand for female rights" are OK with this recall, i.e. it's not offensive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veevos View Post
I support this. Great idea!
Edit: 205 total votes and counting! Now it's closer to 87% in favor of this idea!

Stark Midnight

12-13-2012

Isn't going to happen, they don't have enough time to make such a major change to the skin. If you want to do something useful donot buy the skin. Its the only way Riot will understand.

Bekkal

12-13-2012

Candy cane slash is stupid and pointless. Of all the changes they could make, this is the laziest, least thought-out change possible.

Googiegames

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Midnight View Post
Isn't going to happen, they don't have enough time to make such a major change to the skin. If you want to do something useful donot buy the skin. Its the only way Riot will understand.
Where were you when Haunting Nocturne was being petitioned?

Googiegames

12-13-2012

My full argument here:
"Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
the removal of the previous recall happened way too late in the release process to allow us any time for further iteration, so we aren't able to explore suggestions like the present-themed idea or make adjustments to the current recall."
Upon re-evaluation, this is the standard PR cop-out answer. Professional, but at the same time another politically correct way of saying "we tried but we couldn't" when in reality that's not the best you could do.

Why even ask for feedback when you're only going to disregard and provide a cop-out answer?

There was a time when Riot went the extra mile to make its customers happy. Has that time already passed?

The most important line I will say here is this: Riot you are a company of authority. So long as somebody higher up in the company decides something, it shall be done. As a man of authority myself, I understand what it means to delegate. When I say the word, my colleagues and teammates rally up and carry through. How much moreso with your company. When somebody higher up determines a recall animation should be removed, you remove it. When somebody determines the jungle should change from season 1 to season 2, you change it. No matter the downvotes, no matter the community feedback, you have made decisions by authority, and when you so desire, the authority is receptive to community feedback. When you decide Haunting Nocturne's particles deserve an update, near the END of Harrowing 2011, long after the development process for that skin had passed, YOU CHANGED IT.

Because you are a company of authority, so long as somebody higher up in the company decides it is a priority, and gives the word, it will be done. Why not here? Yes, by normal standards it's late in the development process, but then again, that's a subjective opinion, not an objective statement. If the president of Riot, or the head of the animation team decides "let's do this guys, make time for it" it shall be done. With a game like this, time is not of the issue. Authority is.

So we ask of you Riot, please consider our voices and make an authoritative decision in favor of the community's feedback, which you so obviously have requested for and have obviously gotten an answer. So long as you will it, it shall be done. That's the kind of company you are, please show us again why you have earned the reputation of being receptive to players' feedback until now.

Stark Midnight

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googiegames View Post
Where were you when Haunting Nocturne was being petitioned?
Don't be ignorant and name the one sample that supports your claim. Do you realize how many times that riot has "hinted" at fixing a skin and then after the first 2 weeks of sales never even give it a second glance? Also it has already been stated on the pbe forums that they do not have enough time to reiterate the recall.

Mxie

12-13-2012

Quote:
Don't be ignorant and name the one sample that supports your claim. Do you realize how many times that riot has "hinted" at fixing a skin and then after the first 2 weeks of sales never even give it a second glance? Also it has already been stated on the pbe forums that they do not have enough time to reiterate the recall.

I hear that it is impossible for Riot to change content that they already created.

That said, while I'm not too thrilled at the present recall idea, it's still orders of magnitude better than the current one.

Googiegames

12-13-2012

Quote:

Did you not read my post? I already posted the PBE quote here, this is WHY I am making this poll in hopes of having this animation done after the skin's release.

And no I am not ignorant, but I use the one *example (not sample) of Haunting Nocturne to support my claim because this is a HOLIDAY skin that will be released LOWER than the EXPECTATIONS set AND both this skin and Haunting Nocturne have already received multiple red responses. What better example to use than this one?

You are the type of person who would've posted in the Haunting Nocturne thread in 2011, and you would have been negative, discouraging, and for Haunting Nocturne, wrong. Perhaps you may be right here, but we are hoping for a better product in the end. Please stop bashing our hopes and I kindly ask you to bring your disbelief elsewhere.

Altonious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2012

Not sure what to vote here, on one hand the current recall is trash but on the other hand I would much rather have its initial version. So in that I will abstain from voting, but good luck.

Googiegames

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonious View Post
Not sure what to vote here, on one hand the current recall is trash but on the other hand I would much rather have its initial version. So in that I will abstain from voting, but good luck.
Thank you. The only reason I refrain from including the initial version in the poll is because it's already too late for that, Riot has made an authoritative decision to not include that regardless of community input. Once Riot makes an authoritative decision, then it shall be so. That's how they operate, as a company of authority.

Rather than arguing with Riot for something that they have already rejected, I'd like us to focus our efforts towards a newer idea that, with their words, fits "thematically." There's no question this new idea fits that criteria.

1234511 ... 14