Valve will be revealing their version of Dota tomorrow

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xinoxlx

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sser View Post
Valve is practically the saving grace of PC gaming right now because they are not afraid to try out new ideas. Are they sometimes assembled by other people? Yeah, but the point is Valve is the one with the guts to actually try something new, whether of their own making or lending serious support to an indie developer. Way better than mass producing Call of Duty 10 or Halo 5 or whatever else. Not to mention Valve was way ahead of the curve on digital distribution.
Problem is they've successfully cornered the market so well they're pretty much the only major pc company.

With no competition what reason do they have to try something new?

TF2 and L4D2 have left some disturbing signs to how valve is changing. You may end up having another EA / Activision if they keep doing what they're doing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

moush

Junior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sser View Post
Valve is practically the saving grace of PC gaming right now because they are not afraid to try out new ideas. Are they sometimes assembled by other people? Yeah, but the point is Valve is the one with the guts to actually try something new, whether of their own making or lending serious support to an indie developer. Way better than mass producing Call of Duty 10 or Halo 5 or whatever else. Not to mention Valve was way ahead of the curve on digital distribution.
What new ideas have they had? L4D is just about the only unique game they've made in the last 10 years.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KalosCast

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sser View Post
Valve is practically the saving grace of PC gaming right now because they are not afraid to try out new ideas. Are they sometimes assembled by other people? Yeah, but the point is Valve is the one with the guts to actually try something new, whether of their own making or lending serious support to an indie developer. Way better than mass producing Call of Duty 10 or Halo 5 or whatever else. Not to mention Valve was way ahead of the curve on digital distribution.
Er, what have they done new again? Team Fortress 2 is the last remotely recent thing they've done all on their own, and that's a sequel and a bit of a bloated mess. It's cool that the game is roughly 5-times larger than it was at release all for free, but I don't personally agree with the design philosophy behind a number of those expansions. Literally every single other of their releases involve buying a modding team or indie developer and remaking their content, excluding the Half Life series.

And Steam is a terribad content distribution system. O hi, you bought the retail box of this single-player game? Verify it online or you can't play it. Then you have to run our Steam software on top of the game every time you want to play it, I hope your computer is awesome.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tieryal

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by moush View Post
What new ideas have they had? L4D is just about the only unique game they've made in the last 10 years.
Do you have down syndrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalosCast View Post

And Steam is a terribad content distribution system. O hi, you bought the retail box of this single-player game? Verify it online or you can't play it. Then you have to run our Steam software on top of the game every time you want to play it, I hope your computer is awesome.
Holy ****. More downs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KalosCast

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieryal View Post
Holy ****. More downs.
You're cute.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Biomagus

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieryal View Post
Do you have down syndrome?



Holy ****. More downs.
GTFO fanboy.

I'm actually sick of the steam launcher. The only thing consistent about it is that it will cause problems should I leave it open.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheMidnight

Member

10-12-2010

cant
****ing
wait.

so excited


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ssraeshza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

10-12-2010

Not sure why people are felating Valve so hard.


They're not exactly the go-to company for quality games... and this genre is completely new to them. I'm going to steer clear of this new game until it is well established and a good number of reviews are out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VerKnight

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Need I repost my post from the other thread in regards to my strong and growing dislike of Valve and their products?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Athain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sser View Post
Valve is practically the saving grace of PC gaming right now because they are not afraid to try out new ideas. Are they sometimes assembled by other people? Yeah, but the point is Valve is the one with the guts to actually try something new, whether of their own making or lending serious support to an indie developer. Way better than mass producing Call of Duty 10 or Halo 5 or whatever else. Not to mention Valve was way ahead of the curve on digital distribution.
In my opinion, Blizzard and Bioware are the saving graces of PC gaming, not Valve.

But that's just my opinion.