Why Was This Guy Punished? (Newbie Tribunal Member Here!)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe10112

12-12-2012

So I just hit Level 20 recently, and headed over to the Tribunal as per my friend's suggestion to check it out. I was given this case: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribun.../6037993/#nogo

I read it, and to me it isn't nearly as toxic or as frequent as some of the people I've been playing with. I voted Pardon on this case. Chat Logs 1-3 seemed to be "regular, having-a-bad-game chat log", while Game 4 doesn't have a Chat Log at all to see. Game 5 was the iffy one, and I was on the fence on this one, but since it was an ARAM Custom Proving Grounds Game, and he didn't seem that bad at all in Chat Logs 1-4, and he seemed to be the "Funny" person with his chat, I gave him the overall Pardon.

Much to my surprise, apparently "Very Few" of the community agreed with me. I am completely new to Tribunal, so IDK if people lazily go through and just Punish every single case they come upon or whatever, but in this case, I honestly don’t see why he should have been punished. Frankly I think it was a fine chat log, with a little bit of raging and blaming here and there and frustration, but nothing too hurtful or intolerable, like some other cases I’ve seen.

So...can someone help me out and maybe help me understand better how Tribunal works, and maybe why he was Punished?

If you are wondering, this is not my account. I was just reviewing cases (for the first time) and right off the bat, this one struck me as a "Seriously. Why Was He Punished?"

EDIT: Downvoted for being new to Tribunal and asking questions? Interesting community LoL has.

Harate

12-12-2012

Really?

Game #1: Ezreal [All] [00:00:46] report garen

That's 46 seconds into the game.

Ezreal [All] [00:20:47] report garen

The garen performed better than ezreal. Punish.

Game #2: Again requesting to report. It was towards the end of the game and saw no others issues. Pardon.

Game #3- Harasses Jayce all match. Punish.

Game #4- Skip

Game#5- Harassing fiddle all match. And again, the fiddle being harassed performed better than the harasser. Punish.

Joe10112

12-12-2012

So apparently saying "Report _____" is a huge thing? More than the other people who swore constantly in the chat logs? I didn't think that just saying "Report ____ for Insta-Lock" is that bad, since he says it once at beginning, and once when they lost. It wasn't "Report Garen" every time Garen died. I don't think saying it twice at reasonable places seems like harassment.

Game 3 at the start of the game (Within 10 minutes) he is trying to communicate with Jayce, who is unresponsive (Not Communicating With Team). After that, all the chat is just about the game. I don't see anything wrong with trying to communicate with someone and failing to, then being a little frustrated about that. Of course, maybe saying "Report ____" is really really bad to do in a game. I don't think it is, since I play games in which whenever a team loses, they always will type in All-Chat "Report ____ for feeding", and pick on the person who fed the most.

And he was playing as Fiddle in Game 5...He IS Fiddle...so logic invalid. If he is Fiddle, he can't play better than Fiddle, since he is Fiddle. Maybe you wern't reading the cases quite carefully enough.

Wheremi

12-12-2012

On the topic of calling for reports, while it isn't necessarily something spelled out in the code, it can create a negative environment, not only for the person being accused but for the rest of the players potentially depending on how feverous the one requesting is.

Now while that doesn't mean all "Report Player X's" are unjustified its generally considered better to not go panhandling for them, particularly from the other team if its something that isn't clearly visible to them. Yes they may have a valid reason, but that is in a case by case basis and there is nothing that says someone cannot quickly pick a champion in this case.

If I may lets put this into another sort of group game for a moment, how would you feel if you were going to play something akin to laser tag or paintball, and you had someone on your team you were randomly assigned with crying for everyone on your team and the enemy team to report you to the referee or some such. Ignoring what the reason may be, lets say they did this often, maybe every other game. What is the likely result. Chances are the team may start to argue about such, or at the very least the accused and the one crying out. This then spills out into shouting which the other team now has to put up with, Ignoring weather or not they did do something wrong for the moment, now the other players are having to deal with two players arguing over something potentially and may even join in themselves, the end result being a game that has become a bicker fest and with a potential for both sides to feel like they wasted their time, That is not a good thing and that is why its generally frowned on to be calling for reports without an good and obvious reason.

In short, while this isn't precisely a rule by any means, I do think its a good rule of thumb when judging a case to keep in mind "How would this effect me if I was playing" if it would have effected your ability to enjoy the game in a way outside of the game's design chances are its worth considering something to frown apon if done in excess, no one wants to have two players on their team starting an argument due to report bickering.

In this case that thankfully didn't happen, but considering There is no hard proof that the other players did anything that is breaking the code in those two cases.

1: Automatically picking Garen and Locking is not a crime, it can be bad for your team certainly but without the ability to see if he locked in before or after everyone else and weather or not its a normal game or ranked, its hard to say if the team didn't adapt to him or he didn't adapt to the team.

2: Nautilus has done nothing in this game as far as I can tell, at most, he either opted to or has gotten forced due to team comp into being an aggressive support lane for Ezreal (The Accused) and from what I can guess Ez was simply unhappy that Naut took a few creeps from the mid game and under performed and took it out on his team mate to want to report him in the end, what for, he doesn't specify ever just that he should be reported for some undisclosed reason.

It is kind of like saying you're going to call the police when nothing truly happened that is a crime, It creates a bad environment for those who are innocent and I don't think anyone would be too fond if they got accused for something like intentionally feeding when they just had a bad game and gave up a few kills because they got focused repeatedly.

TL: DR Calling for a report isn't a rule in the code, but needlessly calling it and possibly causing a negative environment for the other players is frowned apon and IS breaking a rule if it goes too far.

mambawarrior0

S0T0

Recruiter

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harate View Post
Really?

Game #1: Ezreal [All] [00:00:46] report garen
That's 46 seconds into the game.
Ezreal [All] [00:20:47] report garen
The garen performed better than ezreal. Punish.
Not reportable, shouldn't be punished.

Game #2: Again requesting to report. It was towards the end of the game and saw no others issues. Pardon.

Game #3- Harasses Jayce all match. Punish. Hardly, literally Club Penguin harasses more than that.

Game #4- Skip

Game#5- Harassing fiddle all match. And again, the fiddle being harassed performed better than the harasser. Punish. You're so dumb, he's the fiddlesticks.

SchierkeWiking

12-13-2012

Game 3:

Kog'Maw [00:01:42] jayce cant talk

Kog'Maw [00:01:55] hes noob

Kog'Maw [All] [00:08:49] u see he sucks?
Kog'Maw [All] [00:08:53] ****ing autolocker

Kog'Maw [All] [00:24:11] noobs

Game 5:

Fiddlesticks [00:07:45] u suck

Fiddlesticks [00:09:42] u see noob

Fiddlesticks [All] [00:11:19] noob cant penta
Fiddlesticks [All] [00:11:37] gp sucks
Fiddlesticks [All] [00:12:04] KS
Fiddlesticks [All] [00:12:12] noob team ks
Fiddlesticks [All] [00:12:36] they suck
Fiddlesticks [All] [00:14:18] LOLOOLOLOL

Fiddlesticks [All] [00:17:49] noob gp doesnt help

I see more than enough for a punish. Just because other people are worse doesn't mean he didn't violate the Summoner's Code.

Great Pyrenees

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe10112 View Post
So I just hit Level 20 recently, and headed over to the Tribunal as per my friend's suggestion to check it out. I was given this case: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribun.../6037993/#nogo

I read it, and to me it isn't nearly as toxic or as frequent as some of the people I've been playing with. I voted Pardon on this case. Chat Logs 1-3 seemed to be "regular, having-a-bad-game chat log", while Game 4 doesn't have a Chat Log at all to see. Game 5 was the iffy one, and I was on the fence on this one, but since it was an ARAM Custom Proving Grounds Game, and he didn't seem that bad at all in Chat Logs 1-4, and he seemed to be the "Funny" person with his chat, I gave him the overall Pardon.

Much to my surprise, apparently "Very Few" of the community agreed with me. I am completely new to Tribunal, so IDK if people lazily go through and just Punish every single case they come upon or whatever, but in this case, I honestly donít see why he should have been punished. Frankly I think it was a fine chat log, with a little bit of raging and blaming here and there and frustration, but nothing too hurtful or intolerable, like some other cases Iíve seen.

So...can someone help me out and maybe help me understand better how Tribunal works, and maybe why he was Punished?

If you are wondering, this is not my account. I was just reviewing cases (for the first time) and right off the bat, this one struck me as a "Seriously. Why Was He Punished?"

EDIT: Downvoted for being new to Tribunal and asking questions? Interesting community LoL has.
Hi welcome to the tribunal =). The community for the most part is nice. But you are very likely to get downvoted on this forum by recently banned players who are super angry. When making your decisions ask yourself this one question "Was this player a jerk" Riot has consistantly upheld that all of the summoners code can be summed up in this manner.
Game 1 Autolocking is a legitimate concern. Innocent.
Game 2 Bg, Riot has said it is never ok to say Bg after a game. Guilty = Punish
Game 3 Jayce cant talk hes noob, /all Report jayce hes fu**ing autolocker, /all Noobs. Here we have trolling of Jayce in all, negative attitude. Guilty = Punish.
Game 4 Innocent.
Game 5 He trolls Fiddle stick 5 times, then he trolls gangplank 5 times, then he trolls his whole team once. Guilty = Punish.
It is up to you to determine your own judgments. I would have punished this person for 3 of their 5 games. Even if they were the only games I had to look at in their case. For more information on the Tribunal you may find this helpful.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2852824

AJStarhiker

12-13-2012

For me, the deal-breaker is game five. He calls out 'feedersticks' multiple times. As it's ARAM, it's possible there is a fiddlesticks on the other team, but I read it as "I'm going to feed". He's also just nasty to the other players on his team. If that were the only game in the case, I would have hit punish.

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambawarrior0 View Post
Game 3 alone was enough to punish. Game 5 cemented it.

The above quoted link is the thing you should have read so you could do the job asked of you. Keep in mind that a person with a tribunal case made against them has a very large volume of reports on their record that won't show up in the case. A single game with wrongdoing present is all you need to hit Punish.