Trying to play better

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Odsalty

12-12-2012

So, here we are. I played a lot of LOL a year or so ago maybe a bit longer.

I'm not a great player. I am doing a lot of research. I read guides all the time. I watch streams. I practice vs. bots. I know 1 champ for every lane and job. I'm not bad, just not great.

Here is my problem. I don't have much experience in regular games. Some of my regular games have been filled with nice people. Most of my games have been filled with mean people we get under my skin and I play like ****. I retreat to bots because nobody complains there and it is fun.

So, what should I do. Just start playing regulars and ignore the mean people and do my best. It seems like you can get reported for anything now.

Seriously, I love this game. I just am having a hard time dealing with learning the game against real people when every mistake is a major deal.

Any recommendations? Just curious if anyone else has felt like this and overcome it.

adc

12-12-2012

Basically, grow a pair. Get over it. This is the internet, not everybody is going to be nice and happy.

Five bucks the reason most people playing against bots are nice is because they're people like you who want to play with 4 nice people instead of playing against better people.

CounterSnipe

12-12-2012

Reading guides won't really help. What will help you is reading the guide, having it in your head as you're playing, and trying to stick to it as much as possible. I mean, you can read all the guides on solomid.net, but if you never really apply it, or look over your mistakes, then it doesn't matter.

Odsalty

12-12-2012

Well, I've just made myself play only regular games. Some good some bad.

I'm noticing more that some of the people that complain the most and point fingers are not playing very good either.

Meh, I won't stay a noob forever!

Thanks for the help.

first time Vayne

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Basically, grow a pair. Get over it. This is the internet, not everybody is going to be nice and happy.

Five bucks the reason most people playing against bots are nice is because they're people like you who want to play with 4 nice people instead of playing against better people.
AD Bot, chill the **** out. A player feels discouraged and comes to the forums looking for help, and you lash out like this... And you're one of the most active members of the forums. Shame.

You are acting exactly like the type of player he plays bots to avoid.

first time Vayne

12-12-2012

Odsalty, the only way to get better at the game, obviously, is to play against actual people who are as good as or better than you, so you should really reserve bot games for messing around, trying new builds, etc. Sadly, though, people are complete wild cards, so you're going to find a mixed bag of personalities every time you queue up.

You can see immediate improvements in attitudes by setting a positive tone for the game at the very beginning during champion selection. Say hello first instead of calling a role...

If someone is adamant about having a particular role, just give it to him -- or at least argue in favor of him playing it (just be sure to argue politely). If he gets his role, then he won't enter the game already pissed off, and if someone else gets it, then at least he won't feel completely alienated by the group. Sure, he was a stubborn jerk by being so rigid, but at least you can dodge some potentially unpleasant games. Keep in mind that some people play exclusively Ranked games, reserving Normal ones solely for practicing specific roles or champions. You might find some of them from time to time, and they can be the most rigid and unpleasant. Many of these types don't care if they win or lose, may not work well with the team, and may even look down on Normal players or degrade Normal games as "lesser" than Ranked. These guys are the minority by far, but they're out there (many are on my Ignore list). Use the games where you end up in roles you are unfamiliar with as practice.

On that note, if you play Ranked for a while and then go back to Normals, don't take it too seriously. Normals players are generally much more casual, and you may suffocate them with the "Ranked player" tryhard must-win-at-all-costs mentality. I make this mistake A LOT. Just have fun and enjoy the game. Joke around with people, especially the other team, and have a good time.

Be the voice of calm reason during the game. If people start raging or playing poorly, then do what you can to alleviate the situation. When people start playing poorly, instead of telling them what they did wrong, mention what they might do better next time. If people rage, tell them to get their heads out of their asses and get back in the game. Tell them that raging won't get them anywhere except a loss. Tell them to group up then point them towards objectives you can take together. Raging typically only occurs when games are going badly and usually subsides when they turn around, so communicate to your team what needs to happen in order for you to get back on your feet.

You say you read lots of guides and watch streams, so you should know how to play the game well in theory. Do what you can to apply lessons you learn in guides and streams to your games. When is it appropriate to take Dragon or Baron? What should you do to control your lane so that your jungler can execute a good gank? How can you maneuver on the map so that your opponents leave a turret undefended? Who should you focus in team fights? Could you make an opportunity for a teammate to backdoor safely? What is their team comp like? Who is fed? How should you counterbuild in response? Would a lane switch be a good idea? These questions and more should be going through your head constantly throughout a game. Advise your team when it will pay off, but be careful not to become the team mom.

All that said, in many games, the best course of action will simply be to remain quiet. If people rage, the last thing you want to do is set them off more. They're feeling vulnerable -- either targeted by someone else's rage, or vulnerable to a loss because of a derpy team whom they can't carry. Be mindful of that in what you say....or don't say.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE I can give you, though, is to weather the bad players and friend the good ones. Play with people you know you can count on to play well and maintain a good attitude regardless of the situation, and you'll have that many fewer wild cards to deal with each game.

TLDR: Keep your cool and be friendly. Play smart, not hard. Be a leader when your team needs one. Play with friends whom you like! And of course....experience, experience, experience. How do you think I came up with all this stuff? It's a laundry list of lessons learned (dat alliteration) by every player who seeks to minimize unpleasant games acquired by playing tons of unpleasant games and getting dafuq over it. lol

Good luck!