Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Helping You Get Out of "Elo Hell"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlwaysTwoAces

12-12-2012

Finally today I got my alternate account from low 700's back up to 1200's now and I will be going higher throughout this winter. To celebrate I decided to make a post for you guys on helping you guys get out of this mental stigma called "Elo Hell".

First thing I want to say that Elo Hell is literally 99.9% all in the mental game. The Elo system while not perfect, works in the long run. Players who display positive properties will end up higher than those players who lack the proper skill set and attitude. So if you really think you belong in a higher Elo tier and want to get out of this Elo hell, you need to be willing to change and take in the advice from me or any other high Elo main players.

“Empty your cup so that it may be filled; become devoid to gain totality.” - Bruce Lee

The bottom line of everything from here on is going to be that YOU need to put the TEAM above YOURSELF. You can only control one hero, that is yours; not your teammates or the enemies, so do the only job you can do and play the best you can. Each of your teammate is like a card you are dealt in poker, play your hand, don't complain to the dealer.

Tip Number 1 (Pre-Game): Play the strengths of your players, not by the hero you want.

A lot of the great players can play all roles. I like to avoid ADC if possible, because it is boring, but I will play it if everyone else wants the other roles. The issue here is to be flexible and compromising. Not all players can play each position unfortunately, but it is best for the team that they play the position they are good at rather than be forced into another position because you or another person called it; otherwise they may or may not do as well if you trap them into the last spot.

Tip Number 2 (Pre-Game): Pick wisely in composition and timing.

This seems rather obvious but a lot of people make the mistake. Often I see people who ban/pick first have this mentality: "I am on top, I have the highest Elo, I can choose whatever position I want because the code says I can... etc etc." This is absolutely horrible, not are you weakening the team bonds, but you are being trapped by your own hubris and selfishness. Games when teammates ask each other what they are good at and what positions they want tend to favor those people.

On the same issue you want to pick in the right order. Picking obvious Mid Heroes or Top Heroes first (or first/second/third) is asking to be counter-picked. Your first player wants to go Darius, and grabs Darius first. The opposing team grabs a Teemo. Now your top is going to have a bad time and be toxic and now probably arguing with the Jungler for a Swap. Pick your ADC and Jungler first and save your Mid/Top picks later to avoid being counter picked. Use champion swapping to your advantage.

Tip Number 3 (In-game): The game is everyone's responsibility not who "failed" or "fed"

A lot of times I see people whining and complaining at the end of the game where they blame their teammates for not pulling their weight. However it is a team game, not a 1vs1 + 1vs1 + 2vs2. Winning your lane does not mean you did your job. If you beat mid, you can go gank a lane or jungle. If you win your lane, you can push more towers or help your other lanes.

While it is mostly the support's job to ward and support the team, it is also your job to protect and help the support do its job. If you are doing well, buying a ward or two cannot possibly be harmful and will save lives. Top and mid should always have a habit to ward a bit to avoid ganks and counter-gank.

As the Jungler, the well-being of all three lanes falls on you. It is a hard position to play because you have to be able to farm, must have a threatening presence on the map, and be ready to assist the team. Your mobility is a great asset to the team. Use it. This goes partially for mid as well.

Tip Number 4 (In-game): Mobility and Teamfights > Farming

Lets say that you are mid and you know that a fight is going to happen top, bottom, or even jungle. It is a great idea to get out of your lane and join the fight. You will lose maybe 4-5 creep kills and give a little bit of experience to your lane opponent, but increasing your odds of winning the team fight, or even cleaning up is well worth it.

Just a personal thought but when I play ADC especially, I don't really care about who gets the kills. My teammates will often try to pass me the kill, but in my perspective, the most important thing is that we got the kill, not who gets it. Assist money is good enough. Even as the ADC if I am 0-0-20 and our team is doing great together, i wont even cry about not getting 1 finishing blow.

Tip Number 5 (In-game): It's all in the attitude

Stay positive and say things that matter. A rule to keep in mind is, if it doesn't help the team in any possible way, then don't say it. Spamming "omg gg" when your team gives first blood is not helpful. You are proving yourself to be an amateur and you are killing your teams morale. More so you are being annoying. Remember, bad attitude and flaming has an extreme snowball effect. It is best not to roll it at all.

You also need to accept that sometimes people you get are not good as you are. There will always be people better than you, there will always be people worse than you. Like I said before, the only hero out of the 10 you can control is your own. So do it right. It takes perseverance, but if you keep at it and be willing to change then you will get out of Elo Hell.

Also you need to be able to do better than the level of "good" which you placed yourself. If you think you are good but you cannot win. You need to become even better. There are always ways to improve your own play and increase your carry strength. So when it is time to carry the "noob fatties" they don't break your back.

speced

12-12-2012

Honestly i was at 750 b4 now im around 1500-1600 elo. The way i got out of elo hell was duo, really great way if your friend is good. Also trying to main like 3 champs can go a long way. Currently started maining lee top, I only lose to darius. thats bout it. Anyways great guide to help out the community!

buukstabu

12-12-2012

Terrific post. Thank you for sharing! Completely agree with your philosophy.

AlwaysTwoAces

12-12-2012

The big issue with a lot of players these days is that they put too much emphasis on themselves and end up coming short. One of the most common issues is that a person may win a lane, but he or she impacts the game very little. A lot of times I see people dominate mid or top and proceed to camp the lane and farm like it's absolutely critical. What happens is that people forget that money and experience gained from winning team fights trumps farming in a lane for that amount of time, hands down.

Thus the case of the lane farmer that stays in the lane while they lose team fights, towers, and etc.

youmadbroimnasty

12-12-2012

one does not simply get out of elo hell

AlwaysTwoAces

12-12-2012

Quote:
youmadbroimnasty:
one does not simply get out of elo hell

So true. Takes a lot of effort and work and a good friend Sam.

Déja

12-12-2012

completely agree. people are almost always aware of the mistake that they made that got them killed, flaming them and bringing it to the attention of everyone on both teams is just going to irritate them and cause them to take more risks in order to prove you wrong. if you're polite and patient about it, a simple comment from your experience about what they couldve done differently can go a long way. and chances are, they wont make the same mistake again.
+10 points.

AlwaysTwoAces

12-12-2012

Hey baffles! Winning 4vs5 feelsgoodman.jpg =D

But on a more serious note though, I think the fact people get overly defensive about talking about plays is another factor and for many cases its an ad hominum argument which eventually ends in KDR. One thing I hope people really remember is that: how your teammates do in game, and their KDR, also reflects your actions or lack of actions in protecting them or helping them as well.