Idea: New Ward Types

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sdfasf

12-12-2012

Wards are an important part of the game but so far limited to just illuminating part of their surrounds.

If there were new types of wards, with new functions/abilities, I believe we could evolve the game to have new types of play, just as new champs with new skills contribute to new play.

I believe this could be done in a way that contributes to new types of play without making wards OP and restricting current plays/fun, while putting the spotlight a little more on warding (sorry had to write that).

Suggestions for types of wards:

• Illuminating - as we currently have.

• Warning - warn of enemy within radius of ward eg flash light and possibly ping.

• Warding - actually ward off enemy with a function eg slows their movement speed, or repels them from center of ward, or attacks/damages them.

Common features these types of wards could share:

Non-Stealth and Stealth Illumination

Each of the suggested 2 new ward types - warning and warding - could have have a green and pink ward subtype like the existing illuminating wards, with the pink versions being the most expensive.

Variable Illumination Targeting

If all the suggested ward types illuminate, they could do this differently.

The existing illuminating wards always have their light on, but the warning wards would only light up a radius around them when an enemy passes within their range, and the warding ones would only illuminate any enemy affected/damaged/hit by them. The difference between the warning and warding wards is the former would light up the whole ward radius from sensing any enemy, whereas the warding ones may be limited to affecting and illuminating the number of enemies based on a fixed/max number ie 1-3 enemies, or a greater number the closer enemies are to the ward within their AoE.

For example, if a whole team ran through the boundary of a warding type's radius, only 3 may be visible on the map as that is the wards greatest number of enemies it can engage with at that range. But if the whole team ran through the center of the ward, it would try to ward off eg slow/damage and illuminate all of them.

Variable Illumination Range

Wards could be place more or less into the ground. I'm not sure how this would be done, but the effect would be so: the further the ward is placed into the ground the shorter its AoE but longer its life. The existing ward height would be the lowest height and longest 'battery life' setting and there would be 1-2 higher settings, with the tallest one being similar in height to a tower or a flag. As the power/illumination of the wards dies/reduces, the wards could physically lower in height. And if it were possible to recharge them via using a supports heal skill, the ward could extend taller and brighter again. Taller wards, like flags, would also make for some cool ward skinning possibilities eg team/lore/champ flags.

Mana (Tesla Wireless Powered Wards)

All wards could be recharged/powered by a skill from support champs with a mana cost or any champ using the heal spell. This way wards may be used more often in game but still with an associated cost. Think of this like using Wriggle's Lantern, only instead any healing/shielding support skill used on a ward would recharge it. Perhaps only the pink ward subtypes could be recharged this way?
What are your thoughts?

Note: I came up with this concept before Sightstone was released, so this mana/heal powered wards idea is probably irrelevant now.

Summary

These are just a few ideas for improving wards and making new types of play possible. We could mix up some of the ideas for better ward types, but I've tried to reduce them to their 'quintessential' possible types. The mana powered and variable illumination ideas may be complicating the mix, but I put them in here to stir our thoughts.

In total I'm only suggesting there be 4 new wards in the shop - 6 in total - 3 main types each with 2 subtypes for green/pink non-stealth/non-stealth+stealth wards).

NOTE: This is a re-post I did here: http://www.reddit.com/r/LoLSuggestio...ypes_of_wards/

If you like this idea perhaps you'll like my other ideas: eg for renting champs, Lolies (bags of LoL sweets), map icons to show teleporting champs, server status in right panel of the main LoL subreddit, a city map, and so on. LoL Suggestions is a great subreddit, I suggest you visit it. You can find all of my other ideas for lol at that subreddit with user ideas_for_lol. I'll likely repost them all here soon anyway.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

12-12-2012

Dominion having the 5 points representing the 5 elements is a more in demanding change that is needed.

spirit, fire, air, water, earth.

Until then this ward idea is on the back burner.

sdfasf

12-12-2012

Until you work for Riot and are in a position to officially comment on the prioritisation of my new wards idea... your comment is laughable.

And I have no idea how your suggestion regarding Dominion relates to the various mines etc in that map.

I suggest you create your own thread about the topic - if you haven't already - to explain the relevance of your idea to the Dominion map and get player/Riot feedback.

Until then learn some etiquette and don't try to hijack another player's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damein Sandow View Post
Dominion having the 5 points representing the 5 elements is a more in demanding change that is needed.

spirit, fire, air, water, earth.

Until then this ward idea is on the back burner.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

12-12-2012

until you create a thread in the proper section your thread is laughable. and yes, my idea was far superior in priority, and no i won't use proper ettiquette or grammer or spelling. it is the internet and i am not obligated to do so. and no i was not hijacking a thread, just showing how your idea is low priority by giving another idea.

nothing you have said or can say in the future will/have change(d) my views on any of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfasf View Post
Until you work for Riot and are in a position to officially comment on the prioritisation of my new wards idea... your comment is laughable.

And I have no idea how your suggestion regarding Dominion relates to the various mines etc in that map.

I suggest you create your own thread about the topic - if you haven't already - to explain the relevance of your idea to the Dominion map and get player/Riot feedback.

Until then learn some etiquette and don't try to hijack another player's thread.

FearOfTheFlesh

12-12-2012

Nice suggestions.