Twintwine, The Devils' Prison: Champion Concept with in-depth lore AND splash art!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IRLDragon

06-28-2012

Hey everyone! This is my first champion concept ever, but I have had it cooking in my head for months. I am also an amateur artist (looking to get better/possibly be professional), and I had been saving up for a drawing tablet. So I figured I would hold and refine the idea until I got the tablet, and Twintwine would be my first drawing ever. And here it is!

Table of Contents:

1: Concept/Appearance
1a: 4 Attributes (health/attack/spells/difficulty)
2: Lore
3: Abilities (with annotations)
4: Summary
5: Splash art

1: Concept/Appearance:
Twintwine is a close-range AP-based melee fighter, in the sense that Katarina or Fizz are close-range AP melee fighters. However, he sacrifices some raw damage for CC power and survivability, which makes him more of a "fighter" and not an assassin. At the same time though, he is fairly squishy if not played right, which (hopefully) would result in him being a challenging, rewarding, and interesting champion.

To describe Twintwine's appearance... picture a tremendous ball of vines, about the size of a room. Now, at the center of the ball, put a mound of melting, rotting flesh that's basically just mouths (and maybe an eyeball or two). Then take two of the vines and make them branch out, adding an eyeball to the end of each one. That is what he looks like. The reason for this (and for his name) are both explained in the lore.

I imagine his voice sounding similar to Ghom's voice from Diablo 3, with at least some kind of a slight echo sound. If you've never heard it, just imagine a deep, demonic, echoing voice.

1a: 4 Attributes
As I said earlier, Twintwine is a close-range AP fighter that relies strongly on his abilities for survivability. He is also (hopefully) very challenging and rewarding to play. That being said:

Health: Low

Attack: Very Low

Spells: High

Difficulty: Very High

2: Lore

At the heart of the Plague Jungles exists a unique area known as the Blood Grove, aptly named for being the sole home an incredibly rare tree known as the Crimson Willow. This tree has never been seen or taken outside of its small, hazardous homeland. Its tendril-like leaves serve as catalysts in many forms of alchemy, and are worth a small fortune each, when a they happen to drift out of the Blood Grove by wind or rain. The petrified bark of a dead willow is considered a sacred artifact reserved only for the cremation of royalty. The reason for all of these phenomenon is that the Willow produces dangerous red spores, which are responsible for the unholy red haze around the grove, that put the victim to sleep when inhaled. This has made going anywhere near the Blood Grove equivalent to a death sentence, and has made the vibrant leaves of the Willow a rare commodity.

This is exactly what drove two greedy thieves by the names of Klarn and Tavynn. They had picked up word of an inventor named Heimerdinger who was designing a machine that would ensure safe passage into and out of the Grove, and succeeded in stealing the machine from his laboratory in the dark of night. However, there was one fatal flaw in their devious plan that they failed to realize—the machine had yet to be tested.

The two thieves journeyed for several days to the Grove, and activated the inventor’s device the moment they could see red above the treetops. At first, the machine worked like a charm. It emitted its own powder that seemed to neutralize the effects of the Willow’s spores, and the two men even managed to yank a few leaves into their wicked hands. Unfortunately for them, the machine overheated and sprung a leak right as they neared the heart of the Grove, and with that their fate was sealed. Within moments they were both put into what was sure to be eternal slumber.

However, fate had other plans for Klarn and Tavynn. The hextech energy powering Heimerdinger’s machine leaked out, enchanting the undergrowth around the two sleeping thieves. Slowly, the plants began to move, and consumed the two men into their embrace. Weeks, months passed, and eventually the forms began to meld into one. Flesh coated vine, leaves became organs, and the enchanted mind of the Grove fused with those of the two men. One day, the monstrosity awakened—only after the form had become more plant than man, and thereby resistant to the spores effects. With nowhere else to go, and forever imprisoned by a web of enchanted vines, what became known as Twintwine rolled him-... them-... itself to the Institute of War, hoping to find some kind of benefit in this new, unholy form.

3: Abilities

Entangle (Passive): Enemy champions that come in contact with Twintwine’s body become entangled, taking 25 +0.1 AP magic damage and becoming stunned inside his body for 1.0 seconds. The base damage increases with level, but the stun does not. This effect has a 4 second internal cooldown.

If two people can becomes entrapped in this nest of vines, why can't others? This is not supposed to be a spectacular effect, as it is a passive, this is just to give Twintwine a slight boost to his damage and CC output by giving him a reason to roll over as many people as he possibly can.

(Q) Eyelash: Twintwine lashes out with one of his eye-vines, latching on to the first target hit, dealing (50)/(80)/(110)/(140)/(170) +0.6 AP magic damage to the target, as well as immobilizing them for (0.6)/(0.7)/(0.8)/(0.9)/(1.0) seconds. This spell can be cast up to two times before going on cooldown. 8 second cooldown for all ranks.

This is Twintwine's primary gap closer and CC ability. It is a skillshot-type move that hits the first enemy it encounters (similar to Morgana's Dark Binding). As he has two eye-vines, this gives him the power to use this ability twice, meaning that he has the versatility of damaging/locking down one person a lot, or damaging/locking down two people for a moderate amount. The damage is relatively low on a single cast, meaning that the first option would be more of a single target focus while the second option would be more useful for situational utility.

(W) Undergrowth: Twintwine melts into a pool of vines and becomes both immobile and untargetable for 3 seconds. Twintwine cannot cast while in this form, but buffs and debuffs (including Razor Thorns) will continue. Enemies standing on Twintwine’s vines will receive a debuff that slows them by 33%, stacking every .66 seconds. At 3 stacks, the enemy becomes stunned for 1 second. After the effect ends (Twintwine can cancel the spell early by activating it again after 1 second), Twintwine will snap out of the ground, dealing (100)/(150)/(200)/(250)/(300) +0.7 AP magic damage. 15 second cooldown for all ranks. The radius of this spell would be equal to the radius of Twintwine’s body.

*Note: Twintwine’s passive will not be applied while he is grounded, but will be applied to all targets in the spell’s radius when he snaps up again.

Not only is this a significant component of Twintwine's CC and damage output, this is also his primary means of survivability. It would work similarly to Vladmir's pool, with a couple of notable changes:

--It has the same radius as Twintwine's body (so as not to cause confusion when he snaps out of the ground and applies his passive)
--Twintwine can cancel the spell early
--Undergrowth only deals damage at the end, as opposed to Vladmir's pool which is damage over time
--Undergrowth does not heal Twintwine, unlike Vladmir's pool

Twintwine players would be inclined to hold this spell as long as they possibly could, similarly to the way Lux players hold their Lucent Singularity. They would also have to time when to use this spell in regards to their Razor Thorns ability, explained below.

(E) Razor Thorns: Twintwine grows razor-sharp thorns, dealing (25)/(50/(75)/(100)/(125) +0.1AP magic damage per second for 5 seconds to targets in a very small radius around his body. The damage and scaling on this spell is doubled if Twintwine is moving. 12 second cooldown for all ranks.

This is Twintwine's primary source of raw damage. Like his passive, it requires him to sit directly on top of enemies to take effect. However, you may notice that the scaling is very low, and Twintwine would need to be moving to deal his full output of damage. Why do this, you ask?

Well, first of all it makes logical sense. Thorns would probably hurt more if they are shredding and scraping you, rather than just poking you. It would also prevent Twintwine players from simply running into the middle of a teamfight and being a patch of "fire" on the ground for a few seconds. Twintwine players would need to weigh danger versus damage versus CC to decide when to E, and when to W.

(R) (Ultimate) Separate: Twintwine briefly separates into two smaller entities (each are slightly different colors to tell them apart). While in this state, each entity shares Twintwine’s health pool, though each half takes 50% of normal damage. The first entity can be controlled normally, while the second one can be controlled by activating the R key again (similarly to Viktor’s ultimate). Twintwine can remain in this state for up to (6)/(8)/(10) seconds. At the end of the duration, Twintwine’s two halves will recombine to form the whole halfway between them. Any enemies caught in the path of the collision will be pulled to the impact point and take (100)/(250)/(400) +1.0 AP magic damage, and will be stunned for (0.5)/(0.75)/(1.0) seconds. (80)/(70)/(60) second cooldown.

Twintwine can utilize his other abilities while in this state, though at reduced effects:

--Entangle (Passive): Each half applies only 2/3 the normal stun and damage, however each half triggers a separate internal cooldown. This cooldown will carry over if Twintwine recombines during the duration.

--Eyelash: Each vine deals 2/3 normal damage and applies 2/3 normal immobilization. Each cast will originate from whichever half the player’s cursor is closest to (similar to the way Urgot’s Q locks onto specific enemies). Summoner spells (like Flash and Ignite) will work in the same manner.

--Undergrowth: Each half will generate its own area of effect, however the effect radius will be 2/3 the normal radius. If Twintwine recombines while this ability is active, he will snap out of the ground for no damage, however the recombination effects will be applied as normal.

--Razor Thorns: Each half will gain its own thorns that deal 2/3 the normal damage of Razor Thorns, with the same effect in regards to moving.

This is what makes Twintwine truly unique and complicated to play. Basically, he separates into two smaller versions of himself, one controlled by the mouse and one controlled by the R key. Abilities can still be cast in this state, at a reduced effect to each individual half, but at an overall greater effect if the halves work together. This is meant to discourage things like sending one half in and the other half waaaaay back to result in some ridiculously long pull (though you could do that, in certain situations). Then at the end of the duration, you do an absolutely massive amount of AoE burst damage to enemies you trap between you, as well as get those enemies conveniently positioned on top of your body.

As I said on the Eyelash tooltip, spells that need to originate from a source (like Flash, Ignite and skillshots) will originate from whichever half your cursor is closest to at the time. This makes sense; since it requires the cursor to move either half, the one you're focusing on at the time will generally be the one you want to cast with.

There are literally infinite things you could do with this spell. For instance:
--You could do the longest range pull in the game, at a large sacrifice to both your damage and utility.
--You could virtually block off a hallway in the jungle
--You could have two little balls of death rolling around and shredding a target
--You could CC two people who aren't anywhere near each other, or you could CC with one half while the other half catches up
--You could escape a bad situation by running away with one half, and leaving the other to take only 50% of normal damage
--And best of all, with great skill and self-coordination, you could CC and AoE damage an entire enemy team.

4: Summary

Though Twintwine is a decent CC/AP fighter without it, what really makes him unique an powerful is his ability to split into two smaller versions of himself, and self-coordinate to accomplish feats that most other champions in the game would find impossible. Overall, he fills a role that is very rarely taken on, and much less so in a manner quite like this. I really worked hard on coming up with the idea, and I worked really hard on the splash art, and so I hope you like it!

I will close by saying that I am not trying to create an overpowered or underpowered champion, and I am completely open to suggestions as to what I should change. I really didn't know much about damage/scaling while making this, and so if my spell ratios are ridiculous please tell me.

5: Splash Art

And now, what I'm sure most of you TL;DR'd the whole thread to get to, the splash art. Please remember that I'm just an amateur and this is my first tablet drawing... ever... so don't set your standards too high. At the same time, I tried my best on it, so... enjoy!

Attachment 475315

Void22

06-28-2012

What a fascinating idea! Congrats this looks like a great champion.

DarkusRedemption

06-28-2012

Gratz, looks like an amazing champion good luck

IRLDragon

06-29-2012

Thanks! Glad you like it.

ThytonMaximus

06-29-2012

He is interesting, but his passive seams kinda useless because vary rarely will u make contact with the enemy champion. And i do think that it would be coll if he could always stay in two with his ult(until he dies)but if he like one of his halves dies then he dies all together. So idk that's my thoughts, and i do think i would by him.

IRLDragon

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThytonMaximus View Post
He is interesting, but his passive seams kinda useless because vary rarely will u make contact with the enemy champion.
I think you must be mistaken, virtually his entire kit revolves around being in contact with enemies. The only thing he could do without ever touching an enemy is Q.

IRLDragon

06-30-2012

Shameless self bump.

TheHawtPotato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2012

hhmm... few questions. can his second form cast spells 2 or when u cast they both cast in the same direction at the same time. if 1 of the forms die during the ultimate wat happens. do his 2 forms act like shacos or the 2 act like differnt champions altogether. besides his ultimate he is quite similar 2 ammmu or nautilus the way u play him. i suggest u make him tankier tho. he has be in contact with his enemies to do damge but his squishiness make that difficult to do. his survivabilty is great but is there anyway u can dish out damge at the same time? u compare him to kat and fizz. fizz and kat are great melee ap's but both have great burst potential basically killing the enemy before they can kill them. how is twintwine goin to play a role in a team. he cant play an ap carry due to his lack of damge and cant play a tank due to squishiness. i dont want to be a total critique so, great art and concept.

IRLDragon

06-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom1516 View Post
hhmm... few questions. can his second form cast spells 2 or when u cast they both cast in the same direction at the same time. if 1 of the forms die during the ultimate wat happens. do his 2 forms act like shacos or the 2 act like differnt champions altogether. besides his ultimate he is quite similar 2 ammmu or nautilus the way u play him. i suggest u make him tankier tho. he has be in contact with his enemies to do damge but his squishiness make that difficult to do. his survivabilty is great but is there anyway u can dish out damge at the same time? u compare him to kat and fizz. fizz and kat are great melee ap's but both have great burst potential basically killing the enemy before they can kill them. how is twintwine goin to play a role in a team. he cant play an ap carry due to his lack of damge and cant play a tank due to squishiness. i dont want to be a total critique so, great art and concept.
In the OP, I said that targeted spells (like Q, Flash and Ignite) all originate from whichever half your cursor is closest to at the time. This is logical because typically whatever form you are focusing on/moving is the one you want to cast with. If they're too close together to tell, it shouldn't matter anyway.

I also said that the halves, while split, share Twintwine's total health pool, but each half takes 50% of normal damage. So unless there's a bug, one half should never die without the other half dying.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your next question... I suppose probably closer to two champions. Each half is fully controllable and just as capable as the whole, only weaker. However, if the two halves work together, their combined power is stronger than that of the whole.

The whole concept of his character is that he's supposed to be a squishy carry, however he can survive if focused with his W. His W is actually a large source of his damage and should be used in every fight, which makes timing essential. And though he can't cast while pooled, he can be affected by his Razor Thorns, though at half effectiveness (since he can't move).

Are his ratios too low? Like I said, I was sorta shooting in the dark when it came to building his ratios. I didn't want to make him ridiculously overpowered. Even with the deliberately low ratio on his Razor Thorns, with maybe 400 AP or so that's still a good 1400-1600 damage over the whole duration if he's moving (and even more if he's split).

I hope that helps with your questions.

iRoxas

06-30-2012

I do love so much the idea and it's really original but I gotta say some stuff:

He does have some CC, but it's not very strong so I like it.
His "pool of vines" is quite interesting, but I think it's too much alike with Viktor's stun, you should make it like "after the 3 stacks, the player gets silenced or hooked (makes sense with vines)".
Make the stun a little stronger on the ulti (1.75 would be awesome at level 3, because the person has to be REALLY DUMB to stay in between both entities) and you should make it so that each entity deals half the damage and half the CC and a sort of "smart cast" for the skill (like lulu's fairy and her Q) like... when you shoot his Q, they should both shoot at the same time (idk, just some ideas, its an awesome spell, but needs some more work in my opinion)

anyways I just love your idea, when I saw it the 1st time I was like "ok i wont like this so much, it just isnt interesting"
Now im looking forward to see him in the fields of justice xD good job