Ice Frog and Valve...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

youthere

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
Eul created the original way back then sure and Icefrog gave him credit but Guinsoo I'd have to disagree (no offense to Guinsoo). Conducts himself in what way? You still haven't answered that. What does he do that you hate? The guy balances the game and keeps to himself.

A guy that solo balances an entire game by himself is not a game designer? *facepalm*.
Clearly you're not very aware of the interactions between Riot, PenDragon, S2 with IceFrog?

There's more to game design than balance, also IceFrog isn't exactly the best at balancing at that.

You're also getting ridiculously defensive here, when did I use the word hate? I said I'm not a fan of his. Get off his **** and stop blowing **** out of proportion, christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
LOL is behind HON in terms of new maps, spectator mode, replays, and all that jazz. Considering the original DOTA already had that I can only assume that DOTA 2 will be released with spectator and replays already in.
There already is a DoTA 2, EUL made it; to be fair, if anyone is entitled to being able to use the DoTA "brand" it's him, no one else really has a case.

Spellsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthere View Post
Clearly you're not very aware of the interactions between Riot, PenDragon, S2 with IceFrog?
this is a joke lol, icefrog didnt even do anything shady, as described by pendragon i see nothing wrong with what he did/was doing. he wanted to be the head of a dota game project, so he was going to differnet companies offering.. nothing wrong.. he temporarily worked for s2, circumstances unknown, and you get upset that he didnt UPDATE the community that he was working a temporary position with s2??? wtf.? why does he need to update on every designing project he does?..

Quote:
There already is a DoTA 2, EUL made it; to be fair, if anyone is entitled to being able to use the DoTA "brand" it's him, no one else really has a case.
maybe you should read the first paragraph of pendragon's statement that you hold so dear.

"Guinsoo was the lead developer (before Icefrog), DotA had no competitive scene and maybe 5% of the players that it does today."
so, the game gained players exponentially during icefrog's "rein", and you say "he doesnt have a case". lol?, now, im not saying that he gained players DUE to icefrog's rein, as OBVIOUSLY it has alot to do with many different factors, but, there is no way icefrog "doesnt have a case" lol

youthere

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellsy View Post
"Guinsoo was the lead developer (before Icefrog), DotA had no competitive scene and maybe 5% of the players that it does today."
so, the game gained players exponentially during icefrog's "rein", and you say "he doesnt have a case". lol?, now, im not saying that he gained players DUE to icefrog's rein, as OBVIOUSLY it has alot to do with many different factors, but, there is no way icefrog "doesnt have a case" lol
Yeah, sorry make something more popular doesn't give you the rights to something.

But, can't reason with fanboys I suppose.

Attacked

10-12-2010

Bracing for DoTA with hats.

Elbo444

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Quote:
Yeah, sorry make something more popular doesn't give you the rights to something.

But, can't reason with fanboys I suppose.
He obviously got the rights somehow

VerKnight

10-12-2010

Nothing against IceFrog, but I don't like Valve products.....especially VAC. Sure I use Steam, but not by choice....they kinda made it a necessity for MW2 (only added to my distaste for Valve).
I've played TF2 and other Valve made games, and I am really not a fan of them. Valve-made DotA is not what I'm looking forward to being released, even with IceFrog being involved.

Spellsy

10-12-2010

Quote:
lol, this statement is very funny, because of the history of "dota".

there was no unique idea of dota, it was all derived from AoS. when "dota" started, there was not 1 developer, nor a team of developers, there were several independent developers all making their own versions of "defense of the ancients". Eul's version, ironically, became the most popular, and thus he became the lead developer of "Defense of the Ancients: Allstars".

but i mean, you considered all this in your statement and opinions right? it's not some riot fanboy who doesn't look objectively at the situation, instead looks at the situation with the belief that LoL> all, Riot>all

Darkeh

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhan View Post
Thanks CoD for ruining a genre just like WoW did.)
Wow saved the genre, not ruined it

PureWaterishere

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellsy View Post
lol, this statement is very funny, because of the history of "dota".

there was no unique idea of dota, it was all derived from AoS. when "dota" started, there was not 1 developer, nor a team of developers, there were several independent developers all making their own versions of "defense of the ancients". Eul's version, ironically, became the most popular, and thus he became the lead developer of "Defense of the Ancients: Allstars".

but i mean, you considered all this in your statement and opinions right? it's not some riot fanboy who doesn't look objectively at the situation, instead looks at the situation with the belief that LoL> all, Riot>all
hey AoS came from starcraft, if not for blizzard this genre of MOBA might not even be found, i know i enjoyed maps in starcraft like temple siege and custom hero wars

AstorSapolsky

10-12-2010

Quote:
I didn't say the puzzles were difficult, I said they were terrible. Game physics were still in a very primitive state at the time, and to be honest, they just weren't very good.
You seem to be handling the DotA crowd pretty well, but I must say I'm glad someone else thought Valve overdid the bloody puzzles and vehicle sections in that ****ing game. Still fun, but got old fast.