Ice Frog and Valve...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

youthere

Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
What does being shady have to do with being a good game designer?

Considering he solo balances the entire game I'd expect him to be pretty busy.
I never said he wasn't a good game designer (though I don't think he is), I said I wasn't a fan of his. Why should I like someone that conducts themselves as he does.

IceFrog hardly deserves to be called a game designer, EUL and Guinsoo laid all the ground work for DoTA, IceFrog just continued on their work.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

youthere

Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
Half Life 2 was innovative for having one of the best physics engines out there. Groundbreaking graphics and excellent shooter gameplay. I agree vehicles sucked but the physics puzzles were easy if you could handle the gravity gun.
I didn't say the puzzles were difficult, I said they were terrible. Game physics were still in a very primitive state at the time, and to be honest, they just weren't very good.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enrayged

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
To say that he's better because he can make more convoluting designs I find insulting, SlyGoat. You are no longer my forum hero. Good day to you, sir.

P.S. - I can make convoluted heroes too - I made Invoker - but I choose not to because I realize now it is bad design. I wouldn't put Invoker or Clockwerk into LoL beacause I think they are poorly designed.

At the risk of sounding disrespectful in quoting a red...

Owned.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unclephillip

Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthere View Post
I never said he wasn't a good game designer (though I don't think he is), I said I wasn't a fan of his. Why should I like someone that conducts themselves as he does.

IceFrog hardly deserves to be called a game designer, EUL and Guinsoo laid all the ground work for DoTA, IceFrog just continued on their work.
Eul created the original way back then sure and Icefrog gave him credit but Guinsoo I'd have to disagree (no offense to Guinsoo). Conducts himself in what way? You still haven't answered that. What does he do that you hate? The guy balances the game and keeps to himself.

A guy that solo balances an entire game by himself is not a game designer? *facepalm*.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

b4pdash

Senior Member

10-12-2010

HL2 was fun. the puzzles werent great, but it wasnt exactly a puzzle game


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unclephillip

Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthere View Post
I didn't say the puzzles were difficult, I said they were terrible. Game physics were still in a very primitive state at the time, and to be honest, they just weren't very good.
You can't deny that HL2 was groundbreaking in terms of graphics, game engine, physics and gameplay though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spellsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthere View Post
IceFrog hardly deserves to be called a game designer, EUL and Guinsoo laid all the ground work for DoTA, IceFrog just continued on their work.
why do you continue to post?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

10-12-2010
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Really looking forward to it, love almost everything Valve does.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sindae

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
Eul created the original way back then sure and Icefrog gave him credit but Guinsoo I'd have to disagree (no offense to Guinsoo). Conducts himself in what way? You still haven't answered that. What does he do that you hate? The guy balances the game and keeps to himself.

A guy that solo balances an entire game by himself is not a game designer? *facepalm*.
Did you play DotA before Guinsoo? He added most of the concepts that made the game great and continue to be used in all MOBA. Now, I'm not saying Guinsoo is perfect or anything, and his version had plenty of problems, but he made a much greater contribution to the game and genre than Icefrog.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spellsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclephillip View Post
Eul created the original way back then sure and Icefrog gave him credit but Guinsoo I'd have to disagree (no offense to Guinsoo). Conducts himself in what way? You still haven't answered that. What does he do that you hate? The guy balances the game and keeps to himself.

A guy that solo balances an entire game by himself is not a game designer? *facepalm*.
his whole basis of him as a person is coming from this: http://www.dota-allstars.com/index.html (which was posted a few months ago, despite him saying that he would get an archive up in a few weeks)