Girls Sick of the BS PLZ READ

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GON the Mage Guy

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERxPredator View Post
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/07/070702161141.htm
This is just one example that backs up my claim, but i have a question for you, are you willing to tell me that when you play lol with randoms, and lets say it was like 100 games of lol, can you tell me that even 1/3 of the people or more playing in any given match are girls?
I don't generally poll the players when I start up a queue, nor do I care. Should I care? Why?

Quality of the player instead of omg I playing with someone that has boobs.

King Kappa

12-13-2012

Not a girl, still a good idea. Adding you anyway.

PandaKaek

12-13-2012

You can’t hide from the truth.
You'll lead them to destruction.

Play at your own risk.
Can't take it? You're not old enough or need to toughen up.
Or just stop playing.
You can't be babied forever.

Your living in a world of destruction,
time to learn.

P.S. I'm a woman
/ignore everyone.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERxPredator View Post
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0702161141.htm
This is just one example that backs up my claim, but i have a question for you, are you willing to tell me that when you play lol with randoms, and lets say it was like 100 games of lol, can you tell me that even 1/3 of the people or more playing in any given match are girls?
This is exactly why studies and other types of data are extremely dangerous. They let the uninformed make really awful conclusions.

I haven't read as much on the subject as I'd like, so I'm definitely not an expert, but I'd have to hazard the following. Jumping straight to your conclusion, that 'boys like gaming better than girls,' I'm going to call that flat out bull****. To start, take in the atmosphere when video games came out. Computers were largely an element of the workplace, which was still predominantly male. As such, males had a head start getting into the gaming industry.

blah blah blah, societal standards, blah blah, most early games were war games, etc etc.

TL;DR (and I don't feel like typing something up, because I can't tell how likely you are to skim it and try to warp it to whatever you feel like arguing next...): Even if there is correlation, don't read cause&effect into things, it's a really bad habit to get into. Also, be really careful when dealing with non-objective things such as feelings. Being a random schmuck gives you very little insight into the masses and whether or not they 'like' things. Instead of 'girls don't like video games,' you might take a look at the rampant over-sexualization of female characters as *** objects. And LoL is no exception to this:

Out of all of the female champions, six of them are without a ***-object skin. Kayle is the only one of these that is an adult human; the others are either Yordles (Poppy, Lulu, and Tristana), elementa/animal (Anivia), or a child (Annie). Admittedly there's nothing wrong with a skimpily clad woman when it fits her character (Ahri for instance, I find to be quite well designed), but the stereotypical chainmail bikini simply makes zero sense, both practically and aesthetically. (That also isn't to say someone need be a *****/****/etc to wear more revealing clothing, but first of all this is a battlefield, and second the lack of variety is rather disturbing.) Compare the animal/monster champions, males vs females:

Males:
'pure monster': Blitcrank, Cho'Gath, Fiddlesticks, Fizz, Galio, Hecarim, Kha'Zix, Kog'Maw, Malphite, Maokai, Mordekaiser, Nasus, Nautilus, Nocturne, (Nunu's Yeti?), Rammus, Renekton, Rengark, Skarner, Trundle, Twitch, Volibear, Warwick, Wukong, Xerath.
'human-ish': Brand, Mundo, Karthus, Sion, Urgot, Viktor, Yorick.

Females:
'pure monster': Anivia, Orianna.
'human-ish': Ahri, Cassiopeia, Elise, Evelynn, Nami, (Nidalee if you count cougar form), Shyvana, Soraka, Zyra.

Quick summary: even stretching it a bit, I still only added a handful of males, but you have to stretch for most of the females. Basically, the concept seems to be 'is it female? GIANT BOOBS!' Anyway, I digress. This is a topic for another time, but there's plenty of work for us to do, and it has less to do with girls 'liking' video games as a whole than you seem to claim. I would put it down to semantics, except that when I pointed out what I disliked about that line, you tried to defend it. This leads me to believe I wasn't mistaken, and you did in fact mean exactly what you said.

Okay wow, this turned out to be a bit of a long TL;DR... but I don't feel like retyping this so.... /rant, ttfn, signing off... *drops the mic*

Scarlet Ambition

12-13-2012

Big question, It hasn't been a year yet for me playing League but all I see in matches when people talk they tell each other to "care" or " This champion is MIA". There are even encouragement, tactics, and lessons being shared among each other during, before, and even after the match. I don't see people go around in the team select saying, " HEY! I'm a girl". In this game when people get mad at each other it's ether because their trolling or made a big mistake like dying.

So sure I like this League of women idea but my question is Who Pissed on your panties to make you write up this thread and don't bull**** me saying I found a random article giving evidence and came up this idea in the shower.

TwistWrist

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Berman View Post
I suspect the reason you don't see more women on LOL is that they don't want to be seen.
That's what I've always thought when it came to most girl gamers. Because there are plenty of guys that are a bit stupid when it comes to girls.

I'm not going to fault OP for trying...but what was listed isn't a "girl gamer" problem. Just a general LoL issue.

Kaalika

12-14-2012

Once you get attacked for being a woman instead of just for being a noob you simply start a new account with a less obviously female name like maybe Guybro Threepwood or something and then try to fit in so you don't get attacked. (Apologies if there is a Guybro Threepwood.)

But a lot of men act like gaming is "their territory" like a Hooters or something, and women should just go find their own sexy restaurant. Gaming doesn't HAVE a sexy retreat for women though, so we're forced to put up with all this in order to PLAY.

Imagine how it would feel if you were never catered to in any media and made to feel unwelcome just because you were born with certain bits? Please don't point to the musclebound men because that isn't catering to women's tastes either.

It's all very much like immature boys building a fort with a big "no girls allowed" sign on it, when girls helped build the fort and it was supposed to be for everyone.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaalika View Post
But a lot of men act like gaming is "their territory" like a Hooters or something...
Not to defend them (I'm really not), but a significant portion of the medium is exactly like a Hooters. >.<

Quote:
It's all very much like immature boys building a fort with a big "no girls allowed" sign on it, when girls helped build the fort and it was supposed to be for everyone.
A lot of the pillow forts are still being built by primarily boys, but you're absolutely right about the immaturity of it. Our medium is a young one though, and I've seen progress, so we can only hope we continue to improve, both the community and developers. This will take a lot of work though, so we can't just sit back and hope for the best. Be active, smack people when they're being silly, and don't let devs get away with green lighting this type of behavior or content.

Kaalika

12-14-2012

It's partly that publishers have been reluctant to let go of the self-fulfilling cycle of "young hetero men buy our games so let's make games for them as the target market" rather than experimenting in pleasing some secondary markets and see if those can actually become primary markets via being, you know, targeted.

A lot of games are exactly like hooters, true. Where's the female equivalent? I will go buy it right now!

OriginalJack

12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Berman View Post
I suspect the reason you don't see more women on LOL is that they don't want to be seen. Unless they put something in their name that makes it obvious they never have to let people know they are women
Now you're making me wonder how many random people on my friends list are actually women. They could be hiding ANYWHERE! And so the paranoia begins... "I don't know if I want to invite Guybro Threepwood to play, he might secretly be a woman..." I can't trust anyone anymore.

:*(