Sonas questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SXGxThor

12-12-2012

Hello dears, i was playing ranked wish support for a long time (my best elo was 1350 like support/adc).
And i had a few qestions for you.
With champs like Sona, Soraka, Nami i use gp10 with 5.3 g, 8.2 armor, and 8 cdr.
Works, i dont know if its the optimal but i didnt die more than 5 times in the match (http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/30558292#runes) and for supports like taric, leona i use armor, mr, and 3 gp.

So... i was reading guides i all use 3gp, all armor, and mr.
My question is why? now with the new items we dont have gold with items, why armor instead gold? i requiere gold for wards and items not armor, im range champ.

And for masteries i was using this http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-1-0-1-3-1&v=2

But i had a new tree and its this http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-0-1-1-0-0&v=2

My new starting items are 2 wards, Faerie charm, and rejuvenation bead.

So, whats better build? and gp 3 or gp5.3? and masteries?

(sorry my lenguaje im from argentina =( )

Grollm

12-12-2012

Sxg I used to play the same way you did, but as you rise in elo, you want to be as tanky as possible early game so you don't present an easy kill for the enemy adc. The who idea is you aren't there to do damage, you are there to support the adc and help him get the kills and get fed. Therefore, there is no reason for you to have offensive runes. The only thing I rune somewhat offensive is when I play Leona or Alistar, I rune 9/21/0, and just try to rush a philo stone early to get that extra income since I'm not getting it from masteries. My starting build, most of the time is Faerie Charm, 3 wards, 1 health pot, and 1 mana pot. Alternatively you can do the Crystalline Flask and 3 wards, but it's going to take you longer to get your gp10s cranking. I play a lot of support, if you have any more questions feel free to add me if you like.

SXGxThor

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollm View Post
Sxg I used to play the same way you did, but as you rise in elo, you want to be as tanky as possible early game so you don't present an easy kill for the enemy adc. The who idea is you aren't there to do damage, you are there to support the adc and help him get the kills and get fed. Therefore, there is no reason for you to have offensive runes. The only thing I rune somewhat offensive is when I play Leona or Alistar, I rune 9/21/0, and just try to rush a philo stone early to get that extra income since I'm not getting it from masteries. My starting build, most of the time is Faerie Charm, 3 wards, 1 health pot, and 1 mana pot. Alternatively you can do the Crystalline Flask and 3 wards, but it's going to take you longer to get your gp10s cranking. I play a lot of support, if you have any more questions feel free to add me if you like.
Im here for harras at the opponet adc and some heals, sona's burst is awesome at the begining! and for each hit i recibe 3 g, qwqwqre its my bo.
I didnt have offensive masteries, all are support and tanky, my question is, is really necessary use yellow armor instead gp10?

Grollm

12-12-2012

I prefer it. The amount of extra gold you get is negligible, but the armor you get from armor yellows is a huge difference early game. If you main Sona or another squishy support like Soraka, I suppose you could run gp10 yellows and just rely on excellent positioning, but the only problem is, if the enemy adc catches you out of position or if they have a gap closer (Corki, Graves, Ez, or Vayne) you are going to take some punishment.

OriginalJack

12-12-2012

when i support i go:
armor reds
gp yellows
mr blues
gp quints

my mastery page is usually 0/21/9 but I can see the reasoning behind grollm's 9/21/0. In either case I feel like going deep into the defensive tree is good idea, and if you're using my rune setup not going 21 def is practically suicidal.

TheGiantGuy

12-12-2012

I pretty much just run armor/mr for my runes and gp10 quints. Especially for champs like Sona, who are so squishy, you need that extra armor to take those hits and be able to harass. I start with Faerie Charm, 2 sight wards, 1 vision ward, 1 health pot, 1 mana pot. This gives me the ability to counter ward river, see into the bushes, and stay in lane. I haven't bought the gold runes, and probably wont. Especially with s3 patch, money is easier for support. But the key for me is to stay in lane and harass.

Grollm

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviper View Post
I pretty much just run armor/mr for my runes and gp10 quints. Especially for champs like Sona, who are so squishy, you need that extra armor to take those hits and be able to harass. I start with Faerie Charm, 2 sight wards, 1 vision ward, 1 health pot, 1 mana pot. This gives me the ability to counter ward river, see into the bushes, and stay in lane. I haven't bought the gold runes, and probably wont. Especially with s3 patch, money is easier for support. But the key for me is to stay in lane and harass.
The only time I find myself somewhat gold starved is if I am playing a tanky support and my enemy lane is playing EXTREMELY passive, so I am not able to engage on them. I think I am going to play with my masteries tonight though and rework some things.

TheGiantGuy

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollm View Post
The only time I find myself somewhat gold starved is if I am playing a tanky support and my enemy lane is playing EXTREMELY passive, so I am not able to engage on them. I think I am going to play with my masteries tonight though and rework some things.
Yes, that is true. But that usually means their support isn't getting much gold either. The difference would be if you are buying lots of wards and they aren't. On my first back, I buy the sightstone before the philo stone. Saves you more money than you will generate with a philo.

OneDeadPixel

12-12-2012

Magic pen reds for zoning, armour yellows, MR blues, always powerchord into blue, green buff ****s on pokes. Besides that there's not much too her besides positioning, and knowing who to focus.

As for builds, she's rather flexible, especially considering all the shiny new items supports get. I'd recommend building chalice, and aegis as core items and building into their tier 3 items an any build though. Unless you get fed somehow, then go magais, archangels, litchbane, rabbadons, deathfires/void staff for maximum HUE.

OriginalJack

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviper View Post
With those starting items I don't think you have 21 points in defense...

So while you are starting with 11 more armor from armor yellows (checked my page and I'm actually running gp x8 , x1 armor seal) I'm actually starting out tankier because of all the additional points in defense that's giving me more hp and % damage reduction. Also keep in mind that the % dmg reduction and % hp scale much better into late game than the 11 armor and it's effective against magic damage too (I do admit we were talking about early game but late game scaling is never a bad thing to keep in mind)

Now granted I don't have the additional bells and whistles from going deeper into the utility tree but that's the trade off.