[guide] The MFing Cho'Gath

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SwampZero

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopex View Post
Well this guide seems to be the perfectly normal way to play Cho'Gath. I never get a Regrowth Pendant first, though. If you last hit well you won't need it. Get basic boots instead to harass and put some physical damage into your enemies after you ruptured them. I usually buy three pots, too. You need them sometimes.

You need it vs an enemy as competent at harassing and last hitting as you are.

A good Ashe will make you ****ing hurt, even with the regrowth.

You'll just have to clench your teeth and go in and take those last hits even while she's sniping you and hitting you, and if you go for her or go b, you're dead meat. you just have to tough it out and get the minions first.

And mess up once. Just once, and you're too low to even ATTEMPT to go in again without a fountain trip. That's where the regrowth helps.

TL;DR don't be so sure of yourself, don't assume you'll get every last hit, don't assume the other guy is worse than you, don't assume you won't **** up ONCE.

And if you're already making those assumptions, and you probably are (hence the 3 pots) why spend money on something consumable when you'll have to buy a regrowth for warmogs anyway?

SwampZero

11-30-2009

Considering all the weaknesses of Cho'gath that this guide is actually hiding, this is probably more of an attempt by condon to blind and bluff his opposition that has actually read this guide, much less than an actual guide to teach new Cho'gaths the ropes.

Is that right condon?

condon

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampZero View Post
Considering all the weaknesses of Cho'gath that this guide is actually hiding, this is probably more of an attempt by condon to blind and bluff his opposition that has actually read this guide, much less than an actual guide to teach new Cho'gaths the ropes.

Is that right condon?
Every character and every build has weaknesses. The trick is playing with your strengths, and playing against the enemy's preconceptions and weaknesses.

What do you do if you're < 500 life? Hide at the tower and port back. What do you do if you get ruptured/flash/auto attack once/feasted? You die. The Cho'Gath walks away. Now, if hes a pansy ass "Oh mamma get it out it hurts" Cho'Gath, he may die to the tower. The MFing Cho'Gath walks out, with at least 20% left, and gets enough minion kills/health regen to be at full before A) mid ports back, or B) someone sneaky comes from either lane.

And as I've stated time and time again, it's not about personal kills or stroking your own E-peen, it's about running massive interference and causing the enemy to farm poorly, and make bad judgement calls. You want them fighting when they should run, running when they should fight, and playing defensively when they should be playing aggressive. Same concept behind Windamere, except I find Cho'Gath more fun, and much better in the early game.

tl:dr; psychology and selflessness are the points here, not being the very best, like no one ever was.

SwampZero

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by condon View Post
Every character and every build has weaknesses. The trick is playing with your strengths, and playing against the enemy's preconceptions and weaknesses.

What do you do if you're < 500 life? Hide at the tower and port back. What do you do if you get ruptured/flash/auto attack once/feasted? You die. The Cho'Gath walks away. Now, if hes a pansy ass "Oh mamma get it out it hurts" Cho'Gath, he may die to the tower. The MFing Cho'Gath walks out, with at least 20% left, and gets enough minion kills/health regen to be at full before A) mid ports back, or B) someone sneaky comes from either lane.

And as I've stated time and time again, it's not about personal kills or stroking your own E-peen, it's about running massive interference and causing the enemy to farm poorly, and make bad judgement calls. You want them fighting when they should run, running when they should fight, and playing defensively when they should be playing aggressive. Same concept behind Windamere, except I find Cho'Gath more fun, and much better in the early game.

tl:dr; psychology and selflessness are the points here, not being the very best, like no one ever was.

I didn't mean competing cho'gaths in general. I meant competing players in a game where YOU personally play Cho'gath.

condon

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampZero View Post
I didn't mean competing cho'gaths in general. I meant competing players in a game where YOU personally play Cho'gath.
Eh, I see where you're coming from, but if I was going for that I wouldn't state so implicitly that half the threat of playing in this style is that you're putting the fear and the pressure on. If you don't waste time ganking the Gath, or you adopt a really aggressive playstyle instead of running back away from vorpal spikes, you can hold your own with some characters.

I do honestly think an aggressive solo lane Chog, played well, will shut down most players, good or bad.

Fyre

11-30-2009

playing a beasty MF Cho'Gath is all about Fear Mongering. your guide went balls deep into my pro cho strat.

if ur laned against casters silence is wide and pungent like ur mommas vigage.

FABIOForever

11-30-2009

I generally don't play tanks but I've always wondered: why warmogs for Cho'gath? When you have nearly 4k base health, wouldn't armor or resists give you more effective hp? The ninja shoes would also make you a better tank, worth giving up the paltry extra speed bonus of the boots of swiftness.

condon

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIOForever View Post
I generally don't play tanks but I've always wondered: why warmogs for Cho'gath? When you have nearly 4k base health, wouldn't armor or resists give you more effective hp? The ninja shoes would also make you a better tank, worth giving up the paltry extra speed bonus of the boots of swiftness.
That's why the Elder Ones created guardian angel and thornmail (or sunfire cloaks). Warmogs is simple: huge regen, and huge HP. Why settle for 5k when you can have 8.

There's also the simple deterrent of "Holy ****balls, that guy almost has ten thousand life. Why should I bother touching him?" At which point you stroll casually into their tower and eat one of them, and watch as they rage out and chase you right into a trap.

TheSacrifice

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by condon View Post
That's why the Elder Ones created guardian angel and thornmail (or sunfire cloaks). Warmogs is simple: huge regen, and huge HP. Why settle for 5k when you can have 8.

There's also the simple deterrent of "Holy ****balls, that guy almost has ten thousand life. Why should I bother touching him?" At which point you stroll casually into their tower and eat one of them, and watch as they rage out and chase you right into a trap.
tl;dr : You've got so much HP, you look scarier. If you had 3k and a **** ton of armor, though your EHP might be about the same, you don't look as scary.

1337SuperNewb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacrifice View Post
tl;dr : You've got so much HP, you look scarier. If you had 3k and a **** ton of armor, though your EHP might be about the same, you don't look as scary.
You're also much easier to kill should another cho come around and eat YOUR ass. Wouldn't want that, now would you?