Nocturne help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

desmond890

11-09-2013

So i have not really used a gank character considering i have used Kayle for quite some time and i like to use him. I have used him as a attack head on champion but that has not worked out with my K/D Ratio. Any tips on how to be better with him besides practice?

karto2287

11-09-2013

Go middle nocturne because it is for map control so u can spy on both bot and top lanes for a gank

Mcbooze

11-09-2013

well noc's primary role is jungle, so it's hard to use him if you are sub lvl 30 b/c you don't have the runes/masteries to jungle effectively w/ him. in lane he is only "ok" at best and you'll run into a lot of trouble vs tougher champions better designed for the lane.

for people levelling, imo it's the time to explore the game and have fun - don't get too caught up in playing one champ repeatedly or "maining" or stuff like that. the bigger priority is to save up your ip for runes, b/c you can always buy a champ w/ RP, but IP can only be bought w/ ip. and lvl 20 will come pretty quick when you can start doing that.

desmond890

11-11-2013

Alrighty ^^ I understand, and as far as one champ, i have Kayle as well and i do pretty well with her, i went 9/11, 14/18

Exotize

11-11-2013

Play him jungle when the next patch/hotfix roles around because as of now his Q only works sometimes.

As for normal play hes fairly easy, I have been jungling with him at Summoner Level 6 fine, runes and masteries don't hurt him as much as other junglers. He can be built mainly in 2 different ways, "Full Tank", "Tanky Assassin/DPS". For the most part go "Full Tank", as you will naturally do damage and with a gap closer/hard cc/spell shield you should be able to wreck the adc. In the meta as of now hes a fairly middle ground pick, his utility is good, but not as high as others but his ganks remain fairly strong and he scales well.

My main jungle Nocturne build ends up like this (order is a bit skewed)
Core/Normal build: Ancient Golem, Ninja Tabi, Spirit Visage, Randuin's Omen

(Grab 2 of these items depending on their comp)
Other MR: Banshees, Locket
Other Armor: Sunfire, Frozen Heart
Damage: Black Cleaver, Atmas (Mostly Take these as both make me even more tanky while adding in killing potential)

VG Wichita

11-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond890 View Post
Alrighty ^^ I understand, and as far as one champ, i have Kayle as well and i do pretty well with her, i went 9/11, 14/18
I'd highly recommend doing what McBooze said.

NecroticAgenda

11-12-2013

Hey there, couldn't resist responding to this. Been using Nocturne as my main since season 1, mostly jungling with him but occasionally doing top lane. He is by far my favorite champion and has taught me so much about the game because of his strong kit and easy-to-learn, hard-to-master kit. To really get your feet wet with any champion, you should ALWAYS check the LoLwiki and read up on them, but I'll try to give a rundown of the champion based solely on my experience.

AN INTRODUCTION TO NOCTURNE

STRENGTHS
Decent damage without building for it; has one of the best attack damage steroids in the game
Excellent at pushing and taking down towers
Incredible ganks, chasing and escape abilities
Psychological advantage on the enemy

WEAKNESSES
Requires keen map awareness and wards to be at full power
Comparatively weak without a counter-itemization strategy
He is not a tank but he really wants to be

TRICKS AND TRIPS (by ability)
Umbra Blades (passive): Pay attention to when your passive is going to activate, don't just blindly autoattack. You should be pausing between last hits in lane anyways (instead of just autoattack) and positioning yourself in the jungle during monster fights - make sure that when your passive activates you are hitting as many minions or monsters as possible to maximize your healing. It is because of this ability that you should build ATTACK SPEED MARKS on Nocturne.

DUSKBRINGER (q): This is probably my favorite ability in the game. It deals strong poke damage that scales well with your AD items, it helps you chase, it helps you escape, it clears waves, it kills towers, it scares carries. You do have to be careful using it because Nocturne is very mana hungry and cannot afford to build mana regen items (I often buy a mana potion early game if I have enough gold for one but not enough left for another ward when I've gone B). You move faster while on this trail, so it helps you chase and escape very well - a good tactic when focusing a turret is to throw the trail backward through your own minions. This will let you escape from an approaching enemy easily, giving both movement speed and letting you ignore creep collision, and it will massively boost the damage you deal to the turret.

Shroud of Darkness (w): Your spell shield must be carefully used because it has such a long cooldown. It will take practice, but learn to active the spell shield when your about to be hit my high-damage (Karthus/Caitlyn ultimates) or hard CC (Taric's Dazzle). You can use this to block things like that Caitlyn's ultimate from hitting your allies or to tank some CC like a Blitzcrank pull, or to juke a Darius ultimate. When you lunge on someone with Paranoia, you should also use this. Almost every time, someone you jump on will use an ability on you immediately which will pop your shield, waste their ability, and buff your attack speed. Combined with a quick Duskbringer, your damage will be obscene. Mastering the R-W-Q combo is how Nocturnes murder so hard. On a side note, Baron Nashor somehow pops your spell shield whenever he starts attacking you (other monsters don't), so you can use that trick to kill him faster.

Unspeakable Horror (e): This is his simplest ability. Never build AP to try to get damage out of it, that is pointless. It leashes someone, then fears them. It might seem worse than something that just instantly stuns but you can learn to use the leash for a psychological advantage. Make someone run from you pointlessly because they know they'll be kill soon otherwise (when really they should stand and fight), use it to scare people. Important! Your E has a range of 465, Flash has a range of 400. If you can scare someone into flashing away from you while you are RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM, your leash will still get them and fear them.

Paranoia (u): Let's be honest, this is why you're here. You fought a good Nocturne and every time your screen went dark you thought "Oh ****, he's coming for me, isn't he?" Now you want to do that to other people. You've probably tried it and it felt very underwhelming when you jumped on someone, maybe they even killed you. Here is how you cause real paranoia. The first step to using your ult is knowing what you are built for. If you have built pure damage, only ult on someone who is vulnerable and already weakened. If you built pure tank, ult into fights that your opponent thinks they have already won and turn the tide of battle by using your activated items, auras, and your CC to let your allies get the kills. If you've built bruiser DPS (this is my preference), ult onto vulnerable enemies, enemies who are pushing your objectives, or onto carries in team fights. It is very important to use your ult when it comes up, but you also have to make absolutely sure that you don't "fail ulti" because then your opponents will stop being scared of their screen going dark. If you use your ult well in the early game (I'll get to how), then by mid game you will be able to cause your enemies to disengage from a team fight just because their screen went dark. The fear will become just as good a weapon as the actual jump and the damage the ability deals, if not more so.

Level 6 ult: You use it from the jungle very close to lanes in order to gank from unexpected angles (avoiding normally warded spots), or from your lane it lets you close in on an enemy, turret dive, or (hilariously) counter-counter jungle. Wards are critical to Noc's ult, communicate with your jungler and split the cost of wards. Keep the buff near your lane warded and if the enemy jungler comes in to counter-jungle, you can jump on them when they are weakened from attacking the buff (but before they kill it) and kill them, take the buff, then go back to lane and get back to your farming. Laning as nocturne, I like to ward the enemy turret if I get a chance, so that if they are almost dead and try to go B by their turret I can jump them and dive to get the kill, then run with my Q.

Level 11 ult: Team fights are certainly breaking out by now but there are also going to be people roaming to farm, split push and take buffs. If you're a tanky, low-damage Nocturne then you need to focus on helping your team and controlling buffs across the map - buy plenty of wards especially now and use your ult to be able to join teamfights from inside the jungle where you are warding/controlling or from your pushing top lane, if you are split pushing this game. Be sure to use your tankiness, spell shield and fear to melt their carries, you can do this even as a full tank. If you've got more damage then you focus instead on catching enemies who are trying to push or control buffs. Be aware of your team composition. If your team is good at team fights, then make your enemy scared to go out alone so as to force those team fights. If your team is struggling, ward and control the jungle and try to give them access to 3 or 4 of the jungle buffs at any time. If your team sucks at team fights, then use your ult more often to discourage your enemies from trying to group and team fights (jump in and burst their carry down with R-W-Q, then flash away).

Level 16 ult: It's all team fights and pushing now and it is almost always a bad idea to go out alone. Maybe you can jump a split-pusher or protect your base from a backdoor attempt with your ult, you've got the range now to counter those strategies. If someone IS fool enough to go out alone when vulnerable and let your minions or wards see them (maybe they are trying to solo dragon or do a two-man baron?) then go get them. Mostly you will be using your ult to dash to the back-lines of a team fight and rip apart carries (remember that your first attack is probably going to proc Umbra Blades). It is worth noting that, if you did go full tank, at this point you are the bane of carries everywhere.

A note on ulting and team fights. Your ultimate doesn't just eliminate team vision, it reduces vision radius to a very small area. In an already scattered or confused teamfight, that reduced vision radius can cause opponents to accidentally split up their team without even realizing it, especially if you use the jump to drive someone back and away. Blade of the Ruined King will even let you push back a tank if you can get them to pop your spell shield.

ITEMIZATION
I'm going to start this last section off with what I think is an incredibly important decision on Nocturne. Blade of the Ruined King or Bloodthirster? If you buy the BT then you can pretty much just buy nothing else for damage and be fine as a bloody, bruising tank of fear and death. Nocturne can build up those stacks extremely fast, making it an exceptional item on him. If you are going to be focusing on team fights and bursting down carries, then I vote for Bloodthirster. My personal preference is to go with Blade of the Ruined King though because, despite the lower burst damage, it makes you a universally feared threat. The attack speed and % health damage means you can actually kill tanks and you can still murder carries, just not quite as instantly (Bloodthirster has a stronger RWQ combo). The activated ability also lets you chase just that much better and during a team fight, it lets you heal a good amount by siphoning off of their tank. It all depends on your focus and your preference. Blade of the Ruined King is more versatile, while the Bloodthirster is more brutal.

Itemization is so broad on Nocturne, because he benefits so much from a great many stats. He needs some health, armor, magic resist, to be able to do his job without dying because he has to be able to go in hard (that's what his ult does, after all). He also needs damage to be able to get kills and sustainability to recover from all those times when he is going in on the enemy, and finally he needs to be able to help his team. You never have enough gold or enough item slots to do everything you want on the fly.

My basic build: ninja tabi, spirit of the ancient golem, blade of the ruined king, randuin's omen, the black cleaver. Attack speed marks x6 and armor pen x3, armor seals, scaling MR glyphs, and armor pen quints. I am currently in the process of testing whether offense or defense focused masteries runes work better.

DEFENSIVE OPTIONS
Locket of the Iron Solari is useful on nocturne in two cases - high damage and very low damage. If you are going straight tank it is excellent because of the activated ability and the aura. If you are going for very high damage, it gives you some armor, magic resist and health and a shield ability. Buy boots of your choice, your chosen lifesteal item, and then whatever your favorite murder-focused items are and go for it, you've got a build. Otherwise, you have to put a real investment into defense. Spirit Visage is perfect for Noc, with the CDR and healing boost (affects his passive and his fondness for lifesteal) and good magic resist. Plus, the Cowl helps with the early laning phase if you are going top and for some reason needed magic resist. I believe that armor is more important for Nocturne than magic resist and very often the only magic resist I have is from runes and masteries (always get 3 in the magic resist mastery). Randuin's Omen and Frozen Heart are the best options here. Randuin's gives health (thus helping also a bit against AP) and a seriously wicked activated, but the Heart gives more armor, a debuff to enemy carries and more mana which Nocturne can always use.

BOOTS
You've got five options here, all for different situations. Ninja Tabi is an excellent default because whether you are laning or jungling, you are probably taking lots of physical damage. Merc Treads are good situationally if either you're not taking Spirit of the Ancient Golem or if you are going top and fighting some **** like Kennen or Karma top, or maybe if you're just fighting a ton of CC and need some MR early (if jungling, take Spirit of the Elder Lizard if you take Merc Treads). Boots of Swiftness have a unique place on a full tank Nocturne, letting you block skillshots and tank soft CC much better as well as letting you work a bit better as a roaming tank. If you are snowballing early and will be roaming early too (as jungler or because you completely dominated top lane) then the Boots of Mobility will let you snowball much, much harder. Finally, Berserker's Greaves can be used to enhance your early game offense or jungle clearing speed.

JUNGLING ITEMS
If you are jungling with Nocturne then you need to build for it. Spirit of the Ancient Golem is best because it gives tenacity and health but if you had to buy Merc Treads for your boots then you should get Spirit of the Elder Lizard. If I was gold-starved I would probably do the following build {Mercurial Treads + Spirit of the Elder Lizard + Wriggle's Lantern + Locket of the Iron Solari}. It's a matter of figuring out what you need and improvising based on what you're fighting. Always be thinking about itemization and how changing up your build can help you out-think and out-play your opponents. Remember that a victorious warrior wins first, then fights; a doomed warrior fights first and then seeks to win.

TOOLS OF MURDER
I saved the best for last! You've already decided whether you're taking Blade of the Ruined King or the Bloodthirster, so let's get into how to add even more murder to your stabbing. I am going to briefly give my opinion on all of your offensive options. Remember that unless you're going Locket-Boots as a laner, you're likely only getting one or maybe two of these.

Frozen Mallet: This items is a good way to add some health to an otherwise damage-focused build and has a wonderful passive. If your enemies are good at getting away from you or you need more ability to peel them off your carries (if you're a full tank Noc this match), this item can be exactly what you need.

Infinity Edge: Because of his need for tankiness and usually not taking the greaves as his boots, this is not a good item for nocturne unless you are doing 100% glass cannon, which I do not suggest. All it adds is damage on your autoattacks and you need more than that. The exception is on a niche build using Sword of the Divine, which I will detail shortly.

Last Whisper: Comparatively cheap and highly effect, Last Whisper is a great go-to item if your targets are stacking armor. Usually I do not take this item but if my team is being stupid and won't stop focusing the tank, it pairs great with Blade of the Ruined King to take that big guy down. If you are focusing on crippling their mage and the guy has built Rylai's and Zhonya's, this will do the trick.

Maw of Malmortius: This adds a lot of of damage to your kit and makes you excel at prolonged fights where you will spend a good amount of time in that 30-50% health range. With all your sustain you can keep yourself in that sweet spot. The real gem of this item comes in when you notice, upon looking at what killed you, that you are being bursted down by magic damage on most of your deaths or near-deaths. That shield on the item will give you the extra moments you need to take down that APC.

Ravenous Hydra: This item has a unique place with Nocturne for split pushing. It adds so much wave-clear and sustain to you that it's basically unnecessary on Nocturne... Unless you are split-pushing as a core strategy, in which case it plays beautiful to your strengths and can replace BotRK and Bloodthirster as your lifesteal item. Buy this item when the rest of your team has strong poke and disengage (Janna, Ahri, Ashe, etc.) and they are willing to stick together and avoid engaging a team fight while you push alone.

Sword of the Divine: Only take this item if you bought the Bloodthirster. That being said, this item is usually garbage even then. If, however, your job is almost exclusively to charge squishy targets like carries and mage supports by ulting them, killing them as quickly as possible and then running away, this item is part of a powerful niche build. {Boots + Locket of the Iron Solari + Bloodthirster + Infinity Edge + Sword of the Divine}

The Black Cleaver: This is my go-to damage item. It lets me build an early Brutalizer, which really helps with mid game damage, and late game it gives me a little bit of everything I need. More health, more CDR, more damage and ARMOR REDUCTION. By late game the enemies will have a little armor no matter what, maybe around 50 for a carry and 200 for a tank. If you did not buy Blade of the Ruined King, you are ignoring the tank and attacking the carry, who is still ignoring 33% of the damage you are dealing. Black cleaver's passives will drop that to 28% on the first attack, down to 20% if you get to full stacks (probably because they have lifesteal and aren't CCed). Basically, Black Cleaver ends up giving you about 10% more damage against carries, which is a lot at this point in the game.

Trinity Force: You cannot spam your abilities enough and don't need the extra chasing ability.

Wit's End: This is a niche counter-counter-itemization tactic, used to fight back against enemies who buy lots of Thornmail. If you end up getting it, hang out with APC and try to get him to roam with you, or just gank mid a LOT. If you are lucky enough to fight an AP top who buys Thornmail, this item is also perfect. Outside of these rare situations, this item is useless.

Youmuu's Ghostblade: This is the other beauty that lets you buy an early Brutalizer, and it also lets you buy an early Avarice, which makes you really happy because you have more money. This item is cheaper than Black Cleaver but gives less armor pen and less damage, except it gives much better team fighting and pushing ability while the active is used. If you are the designated split pusher or you are doing lots of fast, short team fights, then this is probably better than the Black Cleaver.