Tank for Dummies Guides?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Śtrung Out

10-12-2010

I've never played melee or tank characters throughout my 20 years (since NES) of gaming. I figure that now with such a competitive and team dependent game like LoL I should probably start learning? First question, who are the ranged tanks (Galio only?) and second I need to learn how to tank in case no one picks one and I have to pick up the slack, thanks.

edit: my sunject should read, "Tanking for Dummies"

FireFa11

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Why need a tank be naturally ranged?
I find that demand to be quite strange.

A mastery of tanking shall be thine,
Look around and a guide you shall find.

HanzGruber

10-12-2010

Playing a tank, beyond the champion you select and the items you use, is a mindset. Throw away your notions of survival. Your job is to get in the bad guys' face and force them to attack you. Go straight for their damage dealer and say hi by beating them with a stick. Force the enemy tank to move in and deal with you, rather than doing the same to your damage dealer through relentless assault. There's more to it, but that's the basics.

Pieson

10-12-2010

some things to know:

1. Tanks should have a reason for the other team to kill them (not just "OHAI I HAVE 10K HP AND 1000 ARMOR BAN CAN DO NOTHING!) This generally is AoE CC or AoE damage (such as taunts, stuns, DoT skills, etc.

2. Tanks should have mostly situational items. If the other team has an AP kog'maw and an annie, DO NOT GET (many) ARMOR ITEMS!! (duh)

and that's all I can think of right now. And no, I don't think there are any raged tanks. Galio has ranged skills, but he still has physical Auto-Attacks. Also, Galio is more of a tank-support hybrid (but more tank than support)

Śtrung Out

10-12-2010

K thx guys, lol on the poem

4ndy

10-12-2010

I disagree about morgana being a ranged tank, because morgana is super squishy once focused... I have played her over 50 games so I know. Sure she has a great initiating skill that binds an enemy champion, but by no way should she ever be taking the blunt of the damage.

Where in LOL, the tank should be taking the blunt of the damage. They should be up in the faces of the enemy while the DPS teammates stay close to the tank but not so close to where they start taking all the damage.

Normally the tank needs to be on the front lines and initiate the fight and as soon as the enemies waste all their nukes on the tank, the other DPS come in and clean up. The tank normally builds defensive items; armor, magic resist, etc. The tank is a champion that levels up well with hit points and armor. Annie might be hard to kill with 300 armor and magic resist but Rammus would be even harder to kill with that much since when he levels he gets more hit points and armor pure level than Annie.

Personally, I believe some of the best tanks to know and use are: (in no particular order)

Rammus, Shen, Malphite, Alistar

Other champs might have "tank" in their description but they might not be as good as these, such as Vladamir.

LoveYuRi

10-12-2010

one of the best tank is Amumu, He can eat damages like no other and is actually a tank that can do a lot of dps.
His Ult is what makes you win teamfights and his passive skills reduces physical damage too.

Anyway, a Tank is someone that can eat damage and have skills that can support him. Amumu, his passive + his skills= beast
Shen= his skillls, 2 of them r for defense which lets him eat like 300-400 damage, his shield and his ult is good too
Mordekaiser and his armor.
Malphite
Alistar
Cho'gath
rammus.

Other those, i wouldnt say anything would be a tanker

*edit: i just want to say something here. What is a tank in real life? A big armor truck/tank that deals massive damage and does it get focus but the other team? And do tanks in real life be able to make people attack them?
Anyway back on this. A tank would be something that will help it survive with passive skills or active skills like shen and amumu and mordekasier and his armor.
I dont get why you guy think a tank is only the people with taunt...

Carados

10-12-2010

Tanking in this game has NOTHING to do with taking damage. The enemy team will not focus the team if they have the least bit of organization. There's a reason the phrase "Don't focus the tank" exists.

Don't listen to LoveYuri, Pieson, Ricklessabadon, or so on. They're wrong.

A tank's job is to initate team fights and to punish people who step out of position.

People like Mordekaiser are not tanks.

FireFa11

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Carados is correct, but survivability obviously needs to be part of the package.
A Tristana can initiate by Rocket Jumping into 5 people. She ults back an enemy and forces confrontation. She dies instantly, and has not done a tank's job very well.

Punishing people who step out of position is done by tanks, but mainly by Ashe, Eve, Urgot, Malz, Shaco, Garen, Anivia, Twisted Fate, and Blitzcrank.

Holding tower aggro IS tanking, but tanking is not the same as soaking damage. Fiddlesticks gets a quadrakill, leaving Galio alive. He soaked damage, but did not protect his team in any way.

But if a fight breaks out and there is a glowing red-handed Mundo making a dash for your Ashe with a cleaver above his head, your team will most likely focus him to death. And if that allows friends of Mundo to get triple or quadruple revenge, he has served his purpose as a tank for the enemy team.

Tanking is a balance between being sturdy and being scary.

wissmongler

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Tanking in this game has NOTHING to do with taking damage. The enemy team will not focus the team if they have the least bit of organization. There's a reason the phrase "Don't focus the tank" exists.

Don't listen to LoveYuri, Pieson, Ricklessabadon, or so on. They're wrong.

A tank's job is to initate team fights and to punish people who step out of position.

People like Mordekaiser are not tanks.
morde= beefy dps caster much like chogath. However they can become tanks and are viable builds on them. Thus they have a tank tagline along somewhere. Naturally they arnt but they can become. Tank is just a title given to champs that can withstand damage. Disabling carries is just an icing to their supremacy.

As for any champion that can take the role as one - well there are opinions on whos better at it.

Their isnt a true tank as the possibility of builds that can be meddled contradicts that. Any Champion can take the role as one.

for example Annie

AOE stun plus a ability that gives her armor, magic resist.

But because of spammable nukes and low base stats, she is better suited as a burst caster but then again its all perspective.

If tanking has nothing to do with withstanding dmg then how come people give armor and magic resist to champions like shen, ammumu, alistar...

so they can do what they have to do and still live through the fight assisting their team as much as possible. Shen is perfect at this.

Theres no reason to tank if your Shen stacks AP and dies in 5 seconds.