Any tank Alistar guides?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2009

Been looking through the forums and I can't for the life of me find a single forum that gives some indepth knowledge for him (ie Runes, Masteries, etc). Ya, I know Alistar can be a pretty decent tank without all these things, but I'm looking to go from 'decent', to 'omgwtfbbq'.

If anyone knows where I can find a guide with this in mind, please please pleassseee tell me.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2009

You don't really need a guide for it, as the recommended Item build for Alistar is pretty much the Tank build.

Your skills are pretty loose as well. Id go with an early point in pulv/headbutt/roar levels 1-3 in any order you want (I prefer Pulverise first)
Then focus on leveling headbutt first for damage and to keep them off you, and secondary roar. (Get your ult at lvl 6,11,and 16)

Items:
1 - mana manip
2 - Turn the mana manip into a soul shroud
3 - boots --> Mecury Treads
4 - Glacial Stone --> Frozen Heart
5 - depends on opponents - Aegis of the Legion, Bashee's Veil or Guardian Angel

Alternatively, you can go with my Uber Tank Gold farming item build that starts with:
1 - Meki Pendant
2 - Turn Meki Pendant into a Philospher's Stone
3 - Another Philospher's Stone
4 - Heart of Gold
5 - Heart of Gold
6 - Heart of Gold
7 - Merc Treads
8-11 (slowly sell hearts off for better high end armor/mag resist when your gold grows high enough)

Alistar is so bad at farming gold, so this build might work well for you. Mana is an issue so I go for the Philospher's Stone's first.

shalmack

11-25-2009

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...t=Alistar+Tank
This is the only thing I could see.

nicosharp

11-25-2009

Doctor Awesome's Guide is really good. That build works very well, but does not focus on Alistar tanking a huge amount of damage. If you know how to play Alistar though, no matter the build, you tank a ton of damage.

Worstcase

11-25-2009

In terms of abilities I go for only one rank of Roar, and I balance out the rest between Pulverize and Headbutt, taking Ultimate whenever its available, Roar is maxed out last.

I've heard that maxing out Roar first is also very viable (haven't tested it 'yet', but I will eventually).

---

For items, I don't think theres really any set ideas, seeing as hes pretty viable.
I go for...

Doran Shield
Chalice
Ninja Tabi/Mercury Boots (depending on opposing team)
Warmog's Armor
Sunfire Cape/Banshee Veil (depending on opposing team)
Frozen Heart

So far I haven't gotten a game thats gone much past this point, but I've thought maybe a Atma's Impaler, the armor bonus is nice and I should have 4k+ health which translates into an additional ~80 damage, along with Ultimate should make him an effective one-man tower hunter.

---

For Masteries I just use a static build that I use for all my tanks.

As for Runes which is my biggest question, is what to get? Mainly what I was hoping the guide would address.

nicosharp

11-25-2009

Warmog's and the shield seem pointless TBH. If you spec into Nimbleness, then Ninja Tabi's should be priority, but I've always found Merc Treads to get me out of more trouble then tabi's did. If you get at least 2 early points in Roar (dont have to go to 5 till 18) it siginificantly bumps up your healing power.

Alistar's true power IMO is with reducing his cooldown's. That is one of the reasons why I go 0-9-21 for another 6% reduction in Cooldowns to stack to 40% with items in game (typically for me Nashor's Tooth, and a Brutalizer). Faster Headbutts, Pulverises and Roars is how you turn him into a brutal tank and initiator for late game fights.

With Chalice and 2 points in Roar, you should never have HP issues.

I've also strayed from going with a sunfire build, as Im typically knocking enemies away from me, not keeping them right next to me.

There are so many different options for runes right now. I currently run:
3x Quint of Avarice (You need as much gold as you can get cause wiping minions is not easy)
9x Glyph of Clarity (They are taking these out :*( -- This mana regen is so good to have)
9x Seal of Resilience (extra armor, can be replaced with MR, etc.)
9x Greater Mark of Might (extra damage to last hit more = farm gold)

Worstcase

11-25-2009

The problem with Nimbleness is the Blind Pick factor. I personally like Warmog's due to the high HP boost in conjunction with decent armor (and ultimate at times), I don't often go under 50% with team focus (assuming I'm entering with ~100% health). The Shield I absolutely love though, I find it to be the perfect tanking beginning item that although looses a lot of worth endgame, the bonuses early-mid game aren't to bad.

For the Runes I was thinking about just going all Armor, thus I can easily get Mercury and not worry about the imbalances. The Avarice ones might be worth it, I do have problems with farming creeps (last game I only got 68 ).

But as you mentioned earlier, I hadn't even considered Hearts of Gold, I may very well try this out my next go.

nicosharp

11-25-2009

68 isnt bad. I play with friends, and typically lane with a Sivir, so most games we end in 25-30minutes, and I only end up with like 48minion kills or something
Only enough time for me to maybe farm 4 decent items.

Worstcase

11-25-2009

Its harsh, last game I was with Gold-Card-Flinging TF which was good for harassment, bad for farming. Nashor's Tooth I had also heard was pretty good, since I'm finding that CD reduction at the end of the game really kills my effectiveness with it if I was to have it earlier. The Brutalizer I always viewed more for enemy champions then farming, and my melees without items is pretty laughable regardless.

nicosharp

11-25-2009

for tanking brutalizer can be replaced by soul shroud or frozen heart, or spirit shroud.(think its shroud) It's okay to get over 40% CD reduction, and those few items are better than brutalizer if you just want to be beefy tank focused.
Remember though with Alistar's passive, you really want to put out a beating to turrets, because Alistar is one of the better pushers and with an ultimate pop, and some decent attack damage/speed, you can whittle down towers pretty quickly.