What is this obsession with one middle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EliManningLOL

10-12-2010

Right, you have a higher-leveled player able to gank top or bottom with one mid, but I don't think that overrides the utility of two players. And I think if you are able to take middle-tower early, it provides much more ganking opportunities for everyone than just a mere solo mid would.

Kaylel

10-12-2010

With the right champion combination, you could do solo top and bottom and triple up in mid, for quick rush to base. But you have to have people on top and bottom that can solo, like Ryze or Malzahar that can harass multiple champions at once easily.

Kroghar

10-12-2010

Well actually in a well organized team, one person is jungling anyway, right? You want 2 people bottom for easy access to Dragon during the laning phase, which leaves 1 top, 1 bottom.

The expectation during the mid phase is that top or bottom turrets will be dropped. Mid should be held as much as possible since it provides quickest access to each inhib. I think it's just generally understood that less pressure is put on mid early on, top and bottom towers take preference, and during the group phase is usually when a mid turret is dropped.

I'm just guessing though, I'm a new player myself, I'd be curious to hear from someone who's been playing since beta, if it's always been that way or how it evolved.

Bombast

10-12-2010

As someone said before, faster minion travel can save mid when **** hits the fan. On a solo top/bottom, sometime one well timed kill can spell doom for the tower.

Numbat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylel View Post
With the right champion combination, you could do solo top and bottom and triple up in mid, for quick rush to base. But you have to have people on top and bottom that can solo, like Ryze or Malzahar that can harass multiple champions at once easily.
If you triple up in mid they can double up in mid and counter your trilane easily. It's much easier to hold off 2v3 than 1v2.

Not to mention their jungler gets free reign on all that gold/xp in your jungle. Yum. And if you try to stop them you have to place wards, leave lanes, and cut yourself out of more gold and xp.

The problem with 2 in mid is that there's less room to zone the 1 out of creeps, whereas their 2v1 at bottom has an easier time of zoning your solo. You might make it work, but I don't see what the advantage is really.

Sububuduh

10-12-2010

I think the real reason is the way our jungle is designed, and to provide balance for teams with junglers. There are times it'd be nice having a support+carry mid versus say, Mordekaiser or MF, *if* you are completely confident in the choice of champion you have representing your other two lanes.

FireFa11

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

In pro games, top is a solo. (been mentioned)
The mid can be babysat, but usually doesn't need to be because MF/Vlad/TF/Trist/Anivia can handle themselves. If you have a Blitz/Trynd/Yi/Garen, send him bot with Taric/Soraka/Zilean.
Which leaves 2 bot to be around dragon. (been mentioned)

Trilanes don't work because you can't deny exp and Pirate kind of sucks.

Kaylel

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbat View Post
If you triple up in mid they can double up in mid and counter your trilane easily. It's much easier to hold off 2v3 than 1v2.

Not to mention their jungler gets free reign on all that gold/xp in your jungle. Yum. And if you try to stop them you have to place wards, leave lanes, and cut yourself out of more gold and xp.

The problem with 2 in mid is that there's less room to zone the 1 out of creeps, whereas their 2v1 at bottom has an easier time of zoning your solo. You might make it work, but I don't see what the advantage is really.
By the time that 2nd guy comes though, you have ganked the first one. Then once you take the tower, that's a boost of gold/exp for all making up for the lack of having 3 splitting mid. With the 2nd person showing up, 2nd gank. Then all mid move to the next weak lane and take the tower and a third gank with 4 strong. See what happens with the third lane, if they split you are now pushing bottom more than likely with just one, mid is pushing itself, and the last lane is being pushed all the way to the third tower before they knew what hit them. Before you even have an ult you have 3 towers down.

Helps if you have fast attacking characters to take down the towers. Tristana is pretty good for tower busting with her attack speed buff.

Pieson

10-12-2010

first off, in most extremely pro games it's both solo top and mid, since there's 1 jungling, but let's assume that there's nobody jungling. By putting 2v1 mid lane, the solo person would have a level advantage on the dual people, assuming that the solo was halfway decent and didn't need to go B all the time. Also, they would get more farming done and then have a nice advantage later on.

GarbageCollect

10-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylel View Post
By the time that 2nd guy comes though, you have ganked the first one. Then once you take the tower, that's a boost of gold/exp for all making up for the lack of having 3 splitting mid. With the 2nd person showing up, 2nd gank. Then all mid move to the next weak lane and take the tower and a third gank with 4 strong. See what happens with the third lane, if they split you are now pushing bottom more than likely with just one, mid is pushing itself, and the last lane is being pushed all the way to the third tower before they knew what hit them. Before you even have an ult you have 3 towers down.

Helps if you have fast attacking characters to take down the towers. Tristana is pretty good for tower busting with her attack speed buff.
It'll work (maybe) as an organized team against noobs, or as an organized team as a surprise method against another organized team (maybe, smaller chance). "By the time the 2nd guy comes, you have ganked the first one", through what means? Towerdiving? If he's got any brains that's what you'll have to do. Good players don't stand in exposed spots while your team isn't showing up on the minimap. The second player will (if the enemy team is semi-competenet), show up fairly quickly and then your whole strategy falls to ****.