What is this obsession with one middle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EliManningLOL

10-12-2010

Why do players in public games go through a weird panic attack when there's two mid, instead of one? Can someone explain to me what's wrong with this?

In dota, this was perfectly fine. And I don't understand why it incites so much chaos in this game.

Benefits of 2 Mid:
+ Two mid allows more freedom to gank top or bottom
+ Two mid better protects middle tower throughout early-mid game
+ Two mid allows you to take middle tower sooner to enable earlier ganks

The only drawback I can think of to this, is that presuming the opponent plays one mid, that means your solo can be more easily killed top or bottom than their solo can in middle. That's something to consider, but nothing that's difficult to overcome by anyone who knows how to last hit or has map awareness. I also think this is slightly offset by the newfound effectiveness to gank both top or bottom as one or two players can transition from middle at any time. Also, if the middle tower is taken early, then middle becomes a death sentence for their solo.

Is it simply because without denies, the bushes top and bottom make it too dangerous to solo 1v2 top or bottom? If so, wouldn't designating solo to the lane with the bushes furthest from your tower (so you can better tower hug) be an applicable offsetter?

Plainodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Well, creeps also reach mid lane before the top and bottom lanes.

So, if a 1v1 on top and a 1v1 in mid were to be compared, the mid one would have a slightly higher exp advantage.

EliManningLOL

10-12-2010

There would be no experience advantage. Maybe a 1 second advantage in that the creeps will be killed one second earlier, but all the creeps from each lane re-spawn at the same time regardless of how fast they are killed in each lane.

Kroghar

10-12-2010

I know you want 2 bottom because the Dragon buff is down there.

I don't really have a good answer for why it's not 1 top. Presumably it would be much easier to avoid ganks with just wards on one side. Maybe the idea is more that you have teammates more readily available to support mid when needed?

EliManningLOL

10-12-2010

Wouldn't having two mid in-effect be like built-in support? Also good point about having to only avoid ganks to one side if the solo is top or bottom, I didn't think of that.

Plainodd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

Also, mid has an equal distance to reach both sides for ganks, unlike top where reaching bottom might take some time.

larkhill

10-12-2010

by your same reasoning, its much easier for the higher leveled solo player to gank from mid to either top or bottom lane than it is if he were to be up top and need to go help bot.

also, as mentioned above, if he dies, creeps get there faster than any other lane and can maybe save a tower.

Lightbringer6

10-12-2010

my thoughts is its like a tradition, its always done...so people always do it.

fazisi

10-12-2010

Because what should actually be happening is two solo lanes, one dual lane and a jungler.

Mongooses

10-12-2010

The trick is to talk a team into trying it. Just makes sure you have someone who can keep the creeps at bay in a side lane while doing it relatively safely (ie: Morgana/Nasus.) the last thing you want is your situation to backfire and and have those two mid compromised by losing a side tower early. Otherwise I am strapped to find a reason not to at least expreiment with this idea.