Pick priority in ranked/blind

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CatalysticFate

12-11-2012

There has to be a thread for this somewhere. Can anyone direct me to it? Or have this be it..

My opinion is that only trolls go by the "elo order" during BLIND matchmaking games. (for ranked and non-ranked matches). It's very obvious and logical if you think about it that the lowest elo person may not ( or even highest elo) be able to play ALL lanes. so just going by pick order, makes 0 sense unless you know everyone can FILL.

Is there a thread about this? cause i want to debate it untill it becomes official that THAT is not how it should be. Trolls.

LogicalTautology

12-11-2012

Are you talking about Blind or Draft?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-11-2012

There is no blind-picked ranked, is there?

As for draft mode, while in an ideal world, the team would discuss positions and everyone would fill out a position putting a competent player in every role, the fact of the matter is, this does not happen. If it happens, great. But when the communication breaks down, it defaults to highest pick priority in my opinion.

Everyone gets first pick a fair 20% of the time, so everyone gets their chance to play the role they want. Plus, if it's ranked and that's the highest Elo player, if everyone can't agree to filling all the roles, then why wouldn't you put the highest ranked player in the role he is most likely to carry from?

adc

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
There is no blind-picked ranked, is there?

As for draft mode, while in an ideal world, the team would discuss positions and everyone would fill out a position putting a competent player in every role, the fact of the matter is, this does not happen. If it happens, great. But when the communication breaks down, it defaults to highest pick priority in my opinion.

Everyone gets first pick a fair 20% of the time, so everyone gets their chance to play the role they want. Plus, if it's ranked and that's the highest Elo player, if everyone can't agree to filling all the roles, then why wouldn't you put the highest ranked player in the role he is most likely to carry from?
Because then you might win, and we can't go having that, can we?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Because then you might win, and we can't go having that, can we?
I wish the forum search engine were better so I could check and see how often people who come up with ideas like the OP make threads/posts complaining about being stuck in Elo hell.

CatalysticFate

12-11-2012

Sorry, i ment draft u guys lol

tempnameB053

12-11-2012

*** got

CatalysticFate

12-11-2012

And i realize, and made a point of it, that sure the higher elo guy is going to be the higher on the pick list. but you know that doesn't make him always the best player, and that still may leave multiple teammates playing roles they can't play. thus, an auto-lose situation.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalysticFate View Post
And i realize, and made a point of it, that sure the higher elo guy is going to be the higher on the pick list. but you know that doesn't make him always the best player, and that still may leave multiple teammates playing roles they can't play. thus, an auto-lose situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
As for draft mode, while in an ideal world, the team would discuss positions and everyone would fill out a position putting a competent player in every role, the fact of the matter is, this does not happen. If it happens, great.
Parsed my post down to the point you're not getting.

That's what happens in an ideal world.

Fact of the matter is, people can't agree to compromise. You're suggesting that only the early picks have to compromise and they should bend to the will of the lower picks, which in ranks, the higher picks bending to the will of the lower picks. And why is it more important for the lower pick to be in his preferred role then the higher pick?

In ranked play, the higher Elo player should do better in his preferred role then any other player in that lobby, assuming all things are equal. The only way someone could be better at the first pick's preferred role is if they're terrible at every other role and have the Elo they do as a result of playing matches outside their preferred role.

But who is to say that the same isn't true for the higher Elo player (nothing suggests that he's not equally terrible outside his preferred role). So if you and I are only good at mid lane, and we both call it, how do we decide who gets it? How is pick order not an acceptable method for determining who gets to play that role?

Just because you have a preferred role and think that's your best role doesn't mean you're better than everyone else in the lobby at that role. And just because it's your best role, and not getting to play it means you have to play a role you're not quite as good at doesn't mean you're not still the best player in the lobby for that role.

And the problem is this scenario that happens frequently enough. I'm first pick. I want to play mid. I'm also good at other roles though. Someone else also wants to play mid, so I say "Okay," and I go play top or something. Then the mid is TERRIBLE. And not only is he terrible, he's raging at his team. He's raging at his teammates that gave him the lane he wanted because he refused to play anything else. They did everything they possibly could to satisfy him during champion select, yet he's 0/5 at the ten minute mark and blaming the support for losing mid lane.