Hit 30, went to ranked. Payed the price, advice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OctagonalOstrich

12-11-2012

You just need to be a better player. Add me if you wanna play together so I can show ya <3

OctagonalOstrich

12-11-2012

(1900 btw)

Failethe

12-11-2012

Padre, stop being such a tightwad. The goal of this game is to have fun, not to treat it like a job. I play new heroes all the time in ranked and have a great time. Sometimes I lose and sometimes I win. BTW, I only use 2 rune pages and have been as high as 1800 elo....so yea, it isn't a prereq to spend a year playing normals to be good....

Dory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Judas View Post
You were very irresponsible, not only you ruined your ELO, but the ELO of other people too. First of all, stop playing ranked right now! If you wanna a more competitive taste of this game, go for Normal Draft Pick. You will only be able to play ranked properly when you acknowledge a lot of aspects of this game:

- full understanding of game mechanics, itens, runes combinations, masteries, etc
- you must be able to play well different roles, at least 3 of them (ex: top, jungle and mid) if you wanna go solo queue, but it would be better if you knew how to play all the roles
- you must master at least 3 champions for each role you play; it's better if it's 4 champions, since you can get unlucky and all your 3 chars get banned, but it's kind of unlikely to ban 3 champs from the same role, so you might be ok mastering 3 champs for each role you play
- you obviously must have more than only 2 full rune pages, at least 1 or 2 for each role (ex: 1 for jungle, 2 for top [MR/lvl and flat MR to be able to counter your top laner] etc)
- you must know how to counter the most picked champs for the roles you play, so you might be able to counter your opponent properly

I consider this list as a pre-requisit and that's why I didn't star playing ranked till know, despite I've been playing for almost an year. It's recommended that you learn some champs combination synergy, like Malphite ult + Kat ult, Ashe W and Soraka mana restoring skill etc...

TL;DR: Stop playing ranked right now! It's irresponsible and you are ruining other people ELO. Go for Normal Draft Pick if you wanna a more competitive taste of LoL till you are ready.
thing is though it isn't really "irresponsible" ... Most people hit 30 and want to try rank thinking it's the same games they were previously playing before which are ones that contain no junglers and a lot of troll picks...

Zelegith

12-11-2012

thanks for all the feedback guys. i disagree padre, i mean sure there were a couple of games where i was definitely the issue. but just because i'm new to ranked doesn't mean it's me ruining it for them

focusing in on only several champs is most likely the thing i really took to heart in this thread, so i really appreciate that advice. I wouldn't mind playing some games with better players to see some tips and such. and i have 3 rune pages at the moment. an AP, AD, and support. Since those are the roles i usually play.

The main thing is that i know how to hold a lane well, it's the matter of taking that step and learning to dominate it (of course not possible in every game).

And thanks for the offers to play with me and help me get better, i might take you up on those

Edit:

Some champs that i excel at now that i think about it

Mid: like i mentioned before, lux, brand, orianna (getting there) ziggs

Top: Olaf, need to learn more top laners i stayed away from melee champs leveling up due to the intimidation factor

Bot AD: Varus (my first champ), Graves, an draven (newest of the 3)

Support: Sona, honestly i think this is my best champion out of all of them. Lulu, and Janna.

Jungle: Olaf (had most success), Nautilus.

So that gives a better idea of my range (if any :P )

Failethe

12-11-2012

IMO, lux is amazing. Though her burst isn't as high as some heroes, she does aoe dmg and has huge range. Orianna is also good if you get good with her, but she requires a good team to really use her well (don't use her in low elo cause it will likely not be amazing - once u climb to 1400+ she will be better).

Otherwise, just pick the heroes u like. Sounds like Olaf is of interest, and he isn't too bad. Sona is decent as well and has a bit higher skill cap with her ult. I would say make 2 heroes your mains and play others if needed - so lux and Olaf for instance, and then sona, naut, and an AD as backups.

Boodies

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelegith View Post
Hey guys,

So i hit lvl 30 finally the other day, and ofcourse just like a noob i went into ranked as soon as i could (with full runes), my placement matches went terribly, and got stuck in the 1050 range =/, now after a couple more losses im below 1000. I'm really not sure what to do here, i'm kind of afraid of playing more ranked games as i don't want to go lower.

Any advice? Keep playing normals for a while? Or should i just suck it up and keep playing ranked?

I appreciate some good advice
first of all, it's paid...

your best bet is to get a good partner. someone who can compliment your play style. the forum is here to help you find that person so gl! another one would be to be very passive in y our play if you're not sure you can get out alive from a duel or fight. always LOOK AT THE MAP.

All Delete

12-11-2012

Id say know 3 champs in each role very well and 2 more in those roles at a decent rate just in case.

Top: Chogath, Pantheon, Wu Kong, Vladimir, Garen, Nasus (If you know how to freeze lane and can turret farm efficiently)
(Good sustain based champs/tanky)

Mid: Chogath (Depending on their possible mid), Brand, Lux, Ziggs, Anivia, Morde, Cass.
(Burst oriented/sustain/presence and synergy w/ majority of jungles)

ADC: Graves, Draven, Caitlyn, Tristana, Varus
(Aside from your mentions, good CC/escape and range/poke)

Support: Nunu, Sona, Soraka, Taric, Blitzcrank
(Buffs/Heals/CC/Poke/Pressure)

Jungle: Hecarim, Nunu, Chogath, Shen, Shyvana, Sejauni (Not sure bout Sej, for S3)
(Good sustain and all decent clear rate. I feel as if Nunu is one of the strongest this season due to his heavy sustain)

Usually when picking you also have to think about team compositions as well. For example, you're ADC and you have a Nunu support, Amumu jungle, Galio Mid, and Wu Kong top, why not go for someone like MF, Trist or Varus. IMO, its all about champion synergy.

And do you smart cast btw?

Fycus

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelegith View Post
Hey guys,

So i hit lvl 30 finally the other day, and ofcourse just like a noob i went into ranked as soon as i could (with full runes), my placement matches went terribly, and got stuck in the 1050 range =/, now after a couple more losses im below 1000. I'm really not sure what to do here, i'm kind of afraid of playing more ranked games as i don't want to go lower.

Any advice? Keep playing normals for a while? Or should i just suck it up and keep playing ranked?

I appreciate some good advice
When i hit lvl 30 about 9 months ago, i did the same thing as you. I honestly reccomend getting 2 or 3 charchters for each choice (jungle, mid, top, ADC, and support) to where you are good with them in just regular UNRANKED draft pick. After about months you should be good enough to do ranked, but i do reccomend trying to get different runes for different characters.

Micavity Cat

12-11-2012

while there are things i agree with, i dont agree that he "ruined his elo, and the elo of others" i did the same thing when i first hit 30.. went from 1050 elo to 879.. i brought it back up to over 1100 in a week.. its not hard to do, so yes, play norms to practice.. but no.. you didnt "ruin" ur elo...