Hit 30, went to ranked. Payed the price, advice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zelegith

12-11-2012

Hey guys,

So i hit lvl 30 finally the other day, and ofcourse just like a noob i went into ranked as soon as i could (with full runes), my placement matches went terribly, and got stuck in the 1050 range =/, now after a couple more losses im below 1000. I'm really not sure what to do here, i'm kind of afraid of playing more ranked games as i don't want to go lower.

Any advice? Keep playing normals for a while? Or should i just suck it up and keep playing ranked?

I appreciate some good advice

MorikTheMad

12-11-2012

I would figure out what is going wrong...

Is it a skill issue? Are you not getting enough CS, being too risky, overextending, etc?
Are you winning your lane but losing the game? (In that case, it may be an issue with how you play after laning)

If its a skill issue, I would play more normals.

Do you know enough different roles? Ideally you should be able to play any role, as when you are last pick you get stuck with whatever no one else wants generally. You can tell people you aren't good at that role, but it may not matter to them, they just want to play their roles, and you are stuck filling.

If its an issue where you get stuck playing a role you aren't good at, or where you have only one champion in a role you have to play, but that champ was banned or picked by the other team, I would go and learn that role better, or learn it with multiple champions (in normals).

If, on the other hand, your team had an AFKer each game, or something else unlucky like that, you could try playing more ranked and seeing what happens.

iDawgy

12-11-2012

Play 100-200 normals with 2-3 champs. learn those champs and then pick them in queue. when you reach a goal elo lets say every 100 elo, play another 50games in normals since your ranked ELO affects your normal ELO. Yes to all you people out there who think that is wrong, i tested it and it works.
Issues:
-Your champs may get banned, so obviously pick ones who are good, but not FOTM so they don't get banned 24/7.
-Your lane may be chosen, so try to make your 3 champs multi-laners or different lanes. Most jungles/tops can do either top/jungle fine which is nice. Diana can mid/jungle fine also and is a great champ.

I would explain more. Add me in-game if you want for some more tips, a little busy atm. Goodluck man.
in-game name: Xyleus

Zelegith

12-11-2012

I think it's a mix of afks and just lack of skill in certain roles for me. I consider my self a decent mid laner, great support, and a decent adc. I can hold top lane pretty well with Olaf, and only recently started jungling because it seems no one wants to do that in solo que.

It's also partially that i'm not used to having an enemy jungler if that makes sense. Alot of the normals i've played there usually isn't a jungler, so i play a bit more aggressive, especially with my mid.

In the end i think more normals would be helpful, especially raising my skill level with jungle and top lane.

i'll prolly wind up playing a ranked here and there just to see how i stack up. There have been ranked games where i've done very well, but my losses usually include me hugging my turret most of the laning phase, and not having enough items near the end due to lack of ganks, or just being out played by other laner.

Thanks for the advice, and hopefully that clears up my situation a bit more

iDawgy

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelegith View Post
I think it's a mix of afks and just lack of skill in certain roles for me. I consider my self a decent mid laner, great support, and a decent adc. I can hold top lane pretty well with Olaf, and only recently started jungling because it seems no one wants to do that in solo que.

It's also partially that i'm not used to having an enemy jungler if that makes sense. Alot of the normals i've played there usually isn't a jungler, so i play a bit more aggressive, especially with my mid.

In the end i think more normals would be helpful, especially raising my skill level with jungle and top lane.

i'll prolly wind up playing a ranked here and there just to see how i stack up. There have been ranked games where i've done very well, but my losses usually include me hugging my turret most of the laning phase, and not having enough items near the end due to lack of ganks, or just being out played by other laner.

Thanks for the advice, and hopefully that clears up my situation a bit more
afks/trolls are here and there. The normal problem is probably due to just hitting 30 and not having a good win/loss ratio.

Zelegith

12-11-2012

cool thanks for the advice dawgy, i'll add you ingame if i have some questions.

I've been doing pretty well on Olaf, top and even in the jungle. my usual mid is lux, oriana (still semi new) and brand. my bot laners are sona, varus, draven. I play more than that, but those i consider my best. I'll just learn to focus in on specific ones and come back to ranked in a bit.

iDawgy

12-11-2012

this is my main account : Xyleus
Olaf is pretty much a basic top who can do good vrs a wide variety of tops.
Lux's range is very good. Orianna though I feel like is very good, but the skill level is high and may take a long time to master.
Bot lane sona is good, all supports are pretty much decent and well balanced. Sona is squishy though so be careful of aggressive lanes.
Draven is a very good adc early, so take advantage of it. Varus is stronger now since the major adcs got their nerfs in the last previous patches.
If considering jungle take a sustain champ like warwick/fiddle, they are pretty strong now. If you think WW is useless dmg late, he can still shut down carries despite being weak.

HornyGundam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2012

if you have a mic add me, ill give you easy tips and tricks to getting to atleast gold

Failethe

12-11-2012

First off, do you have any heroes you excel at? If you don't, pick a hero you think could be good and that you like (things like lee sin, diana, tf, pantheon, talon, ect), which can carry a team if fed.

Some heroes I think could be exceptional to focus on.

Support:
Zyra, Taric, blitzcrank

Mid:
Ahri, Akali, Diana, Eve, Katarina, talon, zed

Top:
Cho'gath, Malphite, Pantheon, Riven, Singed

AD:
Corki, Ezreal, Tristana, vayne

Jungle:
Lee sin, Nocturne, Shaco

I may have missed a few but this is a list of heroes that can really take over a game and don't necessarily need a good team to do it.

The support listed above are in my opinion the highest impact support (as in they require less from your teammates to do real well). I've found zyra to be crazy good at handling any type of melee heroes - she has massive cc but also has a pretty large skill cap. I haven't played her yet, but she is the next hero on my list to buy and I've decided to start banning her if I am first pick. Taric has huge burst - advice on him, if you play, invade. Taric is like a guaranteed kill at lvl 1 if u play it right, especially at that elo. Blitzcrank is just great at punishing people for being stupid with his pull.

The mid listed are heroes that can completely dominate a game if given a chance to feed. This is why, as a jungler, I often try to gank lanes that have these heroes in them. It is just profit if they get ahead. Ahri has a high skill cap but is quite powerful. Her mobility plus huge farm make her a terror. Akali is lower skill cap and quite mobile to the target, but after that she can be a sitting duck. Get her fed, and the only people near her are dead. Diana is very similar to Akali. Her biggest weakness is her reliability on hitting her Q. That being said, if you get good with her Q, she is devastating (but banned a decent amount). Eve has perma stealth which lets her come into a lane and gank easily. She can also jungle effectively this way. She is quite bursty but can be weak in team fight - luckily, you are at newb level so if Eve can pick 1 or 2 off team fights not needed. Katarina gets a refresh on abilities every time someone dies. She is strong period because of her huge mobility and burst. Not only is she a good assassin, but she is a great team fight hero. If Talon gets fed he instagibs about anyone. Add the fack that black cleaver is op and he's hella strong. Don't know a lot about Zed but he seems quite strong and bursty. Another assassin similar to akali I'd say.

For top, Cho'gath is just stupidly strong. Huge sustain, large burst, and hard to kill. His ability to nuke for 1k true damage makes him a very scary hero. He won't carry like a mid assassin, but he will cause so much pain for enemies if well fed that he can win games. Also, hit ult allows for the ability to steal things like dragon/baron. Malphite - op hero, nuff said. Pantheon is super bursty and strong early. It is easy to get kills on him early and to carry a game with his ability to be mobile. Riven is just strong - great team fight hero and if fed is devastating. Singed - if fed, impossible to kill and nubs will be chasing him everywhere instead of fighting the enemies they need to fight.

All the AD listed are pretty similar - they have mobility and are able to be very aggressive if fed.

A well-played shaco is stupidly strong. Get him farm from ganks and its gg. Lee Sin is another one that is just strong early and can be bursty if fed. Also good ganks. Nocturne is a great fighter in general and has huge mobility with his ult. He also has a spell shield to absorb spells and if fed can destroy enemy carries while also causing general havok.

The heroes listed in general are very bursty, highly mobile heroes. Pretty much any of them are great picks for lower elo. The real question is what role you want to play and what heroes you like. I would recommend getting good w/ 2-3 of the heroes i listed (through normal or ranked games), and make sure you cover multiple positions. So maybe get good with an ap mid, a jungler, and a top. That will allow you to play multiple roles while also having flexibility in hero choices in case someone picks it or it is banned. The goal of course is to get good with all 5 roles, but to start 2-3 roles works.

Short version - pick 2-3 of the heroes i listed, a different role per hero, get good with them, stomp noobs, rise up in elo.

Judas Priest

12-11-2012

You were very irresponsible, not only you ruined your ELO, but the ELO of other people too. First of all, stop playing ranked right now! If you wanna a more competitive taste of this game, go for Normal Draft Pick. You will only be able to play ranked properly when you acknowledge a lot of aspects of this game:

- full understanding of game mechanics, itens, runes combinations, masteries, etc
- you must be able to play well different roles, at least 3 of them (ex: top, jungle and mid) if you wanna go solo queue, but it would be better if you knew how to play all the roles
- you must master at least 3 champions for each role you play; it's better if it's 4 champions, since you can get unlucky and all your 3 chars get banned, but it's kind of unlikely to ban 3 champs from the same role, so you might be ok mastering 3 champs for each role you play
- you obviously must have more than only 2 full rune pages, at least 1 or 2 for each role (ex: 1 for jungle, 2 for top [MR/lvl and flat MR to be able to counter your top laner] etc)
- you must know how to counter the most picked champs for the roles you play, so you might be able to counter your opponent properly

I consider this list as a pre-requisit and that's why I didn't star playing ranked till know, despite I've been playing for almost an year. It's recommended that you learn some champs combination synergy, like Malphite ult + Kat ult, Ashe W and Soraka mana restoring skill etc...

TL;DR: Stop playing ranked right now! It's irresponsible and you are ruining other people ELO. Go for Normal Draft Pick if you wanna a more competitive taste of LoL till you are ready.