Black Cleaver fix [Proposal]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Faerous

12-14-2012

So I think we're all in consensus that the nerf was unfortunate, but unavoidable. Despite all the talk on forums, I've very rarely seen a BC-stacking team win in game for the simple reason that it was an ADC-version of Deathcap. It amplified your damage enormously while providing little defensive benefit.

The problem was that for bruisers it was too powerful, even if it enabled assassins and AD casters to become more viable in the current game. It was built for people who need to do as much damage as possible in a short period of time - but could also be utilized by those who don't rely on being in range, or have abilities that allow them better survivability.

I feel the community over-reacted and failed to change their meta, and this is the reason for the problem. The new Randuin's, in combination with Frozen Heart was an easy fix for the BC stackers, without taking CC into account. A number of other items also made CC more available for supports and other AA-reliant champions.

But I digress - Black Cleaver did its job in making AD casters effective, but was too potent in the hands of some bruisers, and in combination with a player base that found it difficult to adapt, was too strong.

Therefore I'd like to propose a change to the Black Cleaver:

One plan is to revert to the old cleaver, but apply the damage penetration to abilities only. The intent here is obvious: Ensure that casters get what they needed while ADC champions have less burst. If the armor penetration was really as much as an issue as the community claims, then by restricting is to abilities with a few seconds of cooldown, rather than a potential 2.5 attacks per second, you're effectively lowering the efficiency of the item for the group causing the problems. Alternatively, double the flat penetration in its current form for abilities, and remove or reduce the health bonus.

Why?
AD casters rely on high-damage nuke abilities on a cooldown. They must do as much damage as possible, and by restricting APen to a single case hurts that tremendously. It can remain unique, but casters DO require the added benefit. Remember again that unlike AD casters, whose items provide hundreds of health, guaranteed slow, a 25% systemic bonus, AD caster items are shared (and balanced with) champions who can be ranged, or with much greater survival.

Another simple fix: Make APen PER ITEM unique. If casters want to build Yommumu on top of Black Cleaver, all the better. You will not see this with AA-reliant champs.

tldr;

AD Casters need penetration due to their unique playstyle.
APen is too powerful in the hands of bruisers and ADC.
Since AD casters rely on abilities much more than attacks, we should give them some additional benefit that casters do not, and this can be done by doubling the Penetration on ability, or by allowing APen to be unique per item, since ADC and bruisers would gimp themselves with similar builds.

Gentleman Thief

12-14-2012

My idea for balancing the Black Cleaver is simple: Make the armor shred a unique ACTIVE. Turn it on, and for the next few seconds and/or attacks, you get the armor shred. Good for bursters like AD casters and bruisers, not so much for the sustained DPS of carries.

BarbecueRibs

12-14-2012

The cooldown reduction and the flat armor pen should be unique. Lol at pantheon spamming heartseeker strike every 4 seconds, with 3.6 bonus ad scaling.