I've never seen so much hate for a skin without it even being released.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shizuhara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Bodacious View Post
I can understand her original release art *shudders*. But raging about this skin is a little much. It even irks me how much support the rage is getting. I'd really rather not see a really cool theme of skins get flushed away.
We've only seen a very incomplete version thus far. People are assuming it's the final product and thus making a questionable skin design choice into a terrible design decision.

Though, the complaints are not without merit. It is another skin on a wildly unpopular theme for Lux.

Ringo Mandingo

12-10-2012

Quote:
Steel Legion Lux isn't overpriced (1350), it's not limited/legacy, it's not a Teemo skin, it's not a "sexy" skin. I Don't get it. That's usually the stuff that's raged over.

Yea yea, "It's the third military themed Lux skin!" I honestly don't mind. I get wanting another "magical girl" skin but doesn't she have two of those already too? Look at Xin literally all his skins are Military/Chinese military. Next skin? Chinese military.

The Steel Legion theme is one I'd really like to see get expanded upon and what else is in store for the champs that get them. But now that might not be the case with the massive amount of hate for the skin. It's honestly the first Lux skin I'm actually interested in and really wouldn't mind picking it up for the new particles/animations.
see, its not that we don't mind them releasing this lux skin, its that it means it will be much longer until we get a lux skin that we would prefer as opposed to all of the military themed skins

ldqpbl

12-10-2012

...i'd rather see lux in something like vi's neonstrike skin (without the huge fists) than steel legion, at least it looks a little more like something a (battle) mage would wear than a stupid master chief outfit

Baron Bodacious

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldqpbl View Post
...i'd rather see lux in something like vi's neonstrike skin (without the huge fists) than steel legion, at least it looks a little more like something a (battle) mage would wear than a stupid master chief outfit
See that'd also be cool. I'm not saying I don't understand why people want a new "magic girl" skin. But the hate Steel Legion is receiving is a little misplaced.

Voidgolem

12-12-2012

I'm pretty sure all the QQ here got it shelved before it even went out on the PBE proper.

which still doesn't mean she'll get a "non-military hurr" skin anytime soon.

Baron Bodacious

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
I'm pretty sure all the QQ here got it shelved before it even went out on the PBE proper.

which still doesn't mean she'll get a "non-military hurr" skin anytime soon.
Which is sad. Because I've playing play Lux a lot recently (they took away Viktor but I still gotta get my laser fix mangg). I'd really like this skin to see the light of day.

SlumlordThanatos

12-12-2012

Quote:
See that'd also be cool. I'm not saying I don't understand why people want a new "magic girl" skin. But the hate Steel Legion is receiving is a little misplaced.
Not really. As I'm sure many different people explained several times already, the negative feedback is mostly because this is the third armored/military-themed skin Lux has received, in a row.

If Commando Lux and Imperial Lux didn't exist, we wouldn't be up in arms about Steel Legion Lux. There'd be some negative feedback, but nowhere near the magnitude of what happened over the past few days.

saintbookman

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExaltedVanguard View Post
My post from another thread:

Lux (in game at least) has always felt kind of like you're playing a teenage girl that happens to be crazy powerful. Spell thief and Sorceress skins play off this and fit into the theme well.

This is in contrast to someone like, say, Leona, who is this gritty, battle-hardened warrior ready to lead the charge into battle. She's a plain ol' badass army chick ready to kick ass.

Imagine you made a Leona skin in a schoolgirl outfit and she's acting like a bubbly tween. I'm pretty sure everyone who's played Leona would consider that a mistake of a skin. You'd be trying to smash Lux's personality on Leona. It doesn't work.

Steel legion (and to a lesser degree, her other military skins) seem to take the Leona theme and try to smash it on to Lux. She's walking around in this massive suit of armor. She looks like a freaking tank. When she fires bolts of light from her staff, she poses like she's holding a minigun.

It just doesn't fit.
I find this funny because the amount of support for sunbathing Leona is astronomical. People actually really like skins that do a 180 on a champion's personality. That's why things like gentleman Cho, and Brolaf are both super popular, even though it has nothing to do with their personality.

I for one, would love to see a (actually good) military skin that shows us the deeper parts of Lux. If you want to know more about Lux read her League if Legends Judgement. She has a whole ton of depth, and you learn that the bubbly personality she puts up is a wall that she hides behind, which I think is an excellent piece of character development, and this skin delivers that different aspect of her.

Also the skin looks amazing. Her E explosion particles were awesome.

G0tt

12-12-2012

rumble, volibear..only 2 ugly skins and they dont get attention

SlumlordThanatos

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintbookman View Post
I find this funny because the amount of support for sunbathing Leona is astronomical. People actually really like skins that do a 180 on a champion's personality. That's why things like gentleman Cho, and Brolaf are both super popular, even though it has nothing to do with their personality.
It depends on the direction you do that 180 in. If you go from gritty monster to cognac-sipping gentleman, it goes far enough away from it's serious roots to show a more light-hearted side of a character, and is usually quite funny. If I weren't poor, I'd have a Gentleman Cho'Gath of my own.

But going from a character who is already light-hearted and bubbly (yes she is, just because she was forced to be in the military doesn't mean she can't be all flowers and sunshine) to gritty and badass doesn't have anywhere near the same effect. While I could definitely see this work, I have yet to see an example in LoL anywhere (Please feel free to point out any examples that have slipped my mind). All it does is take away what people like about the character and add nothing.

The skin also has to be something to look at, too. While Steel Legion Lux is pretty snazzy, it simply does not look like Lux anymore. If Riot absolutely needs to stick Lux in some armor, why couldn't they go the Joan of Arc route? White armor with gold filigree, form fitting, with long hair and a cape. It would show off Lux's military background without taking away from what makes Lux, Lux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0tt View Post
rumble, volibear..only 2 ugly skins and they dont get attention
Trust me, if I coulud give you guys the Steel Legion skin, I would.

But as it stands now, until I can recognize what champion this is without having to see any animations, it's not something I'm gonna buy.