Item Concept - Sanguine Phylactery

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gamernaut

09-19-2012

[CENTER]Sanguine Phylactery[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Builds from:

- Vampiric Scepter; 450g

- Ruby Crystal; 475g

Completion Cost: 375g
Total Cost: 1300g

Stats:

+200 Health

+15% Life Steal

+5% Spell Vamp

Unique Passive: Killing a minion or monster grants a stack of Blood Essence, champion kills and assists each grant 10 stacks of Blood Essence. (max 50 stacks)

Unique Active: Consumes all stacks of Blood Essence, restoring 12 health per stack consumed. (6 second cooldown)[/CENTER]

Important Questions:

1. Q. Why Spell Vamp?
A.To help grant sustain to AP and hybrid solo tops and jungles such as Rumble or Skarner. Also, every champion has abilities, including AD Carries, the small amount of spell vamp helps reward carries who make good use of their damaging abilities.

2. Q. Why not just get Wriggle's?
A. The phylactery grants a small amount of health and a lane sustain passive while also sporting 3% more life steal than wriggle's lantern. Wriggle's on the other hand grants attack damage and armor, which assist with last hitting and trading against the enemy carry respectively, also its anti-creep passive increases jungle clearing speed and further helps with last hitting minions. Essentially it's a toss up between either greater sustain and less reliance on potions in the jungle with Sanguine Phylactery, or greater trading ability and faster jungle clearing speeds with Wriggle's Lantern.

3. Q. What's the point of champion kills and assists granting stacks of its passive?
A. During the laning phase, the stacks gained from a single kill or assist on the enemy are a sizeable reward that allows you to stay in lane even longer, perhaps long enough to finish off a tower or survive and even punish the inevitable jungle gank. Also in respect to jungling, a successful gank can allow a weakened jungler to go back into his jungle to continue clearing or even invade the enemy jungle with increased confidence.

On another note, an advanced tactic with the item would be to try saving up stacks instead of immediately reaping the benefits of them as soon as you acquire them. A phylactery with 20, 30, or even more stacks on it is a very powerful healing tool for when those critical fights at dragon occur, or even when those first team fights break out once roaming begins.

What do you guys think? Questions? Comments? Concerns? An adequate picture is all I am missing for this.

Autocthon

09-19-2012

For a mid game item surprisingly not as bad as most people post. That being said the lack of offensive stat makes it really inefficient on carries (who aren't going to be able to afford delaying damage), and a mediocre-at-best buy on top and jungle (though there is at least one champ who would still love it).

Also absolutely useless on a support... Which is the role most likely to take powerful cheap items of any kind.

Doxkid

09-19-2012

Seems a little off, but I like it. That said, I can't help but feel that the vampirism portion is strange and the burst regeneration is a bit off.

Perhaps you could replace the Vamp scepter with either a a Rejuvenation Bead or a Regrowth Pendant, then stretch the healing to it takes place over 5 or 10 seconds.
--
[CENTER]Regrowth (435)+Ruby Crystal (475)+490=1500
Stats
+200 Health
+20 Health Regen[/CENTER]
Unique Passive: (Unchanged)
Unique Active: Consumes all stacks of blood essence over 5 seconds, healing 12 health per stack consumed.
-----
Basically unchanged, but it'll give enemies time to Morello or Ignite or what have you.

Gamernaut

09-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocthon View Post
For a mid game item surprisingly not as bad as most people post. That being said the lack of offensive stat makes it really inefficient on carries (who aren't going to be able to afford delaying damage), and a mediocre-at-best buy on top and jungle (though there is at least one champ who would still love it).

Also absolutely useless on a support... Which is the role most likely to take powerful cheap items of any kind.
Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply to this thread, I lost my laptop and couldn't get it back for a while, anyways yeah, I can see how this item would be inefficient on carries, the ones that are trying to stack damage to carry their team late game, but i figured this might help them actually get to the late game without getting shut down beforehand, while also not being prohibitive in gold cost allowing them to easily begin building damage again. Perhaps the item could be situational for them?

Also, I agree that it would be a pretty average pick for top / jungle, this item was mainly designed for them, and I wanted to provide an alternative to wriggle's latern while still making it behave uniquely.

Finally, yes, this item is about as worthless as it gets on a support, this was not designed for them lol.
____

As for the suggestion about health regen instead of vamp and making the active ability heal over time instead of burst, I feel like it's a decent idea, however I feel like the vamp to passive regen change would detract from the aggressive name and playstyle I had for it as people would wind up running away from the combat in-lane to idly regenerate instead going in for the vamp. Maybe just the change concerning the active mechanic would be best. I would really like someone elses input for their opinion on this.

Again, I apologize that I couldn't respond to you guy's input in more timely manner. If anyone has any other input to add as well, I'd be happy to read it!

Lord Timber

10-01-2012

Its an interesting concept for mid-game, I wouldn't mind sparing some gold to sink into this item after I get my starting items.

Doxkid

12-10-2012

Cant believe they made your item, bro.

Beaumains

12-10-2012

So you want to take an item that sounds like it's made for a Lich or Priest, make it a jungler's version of Old Tryndamere's Q, and put it on bruisers?

Naming conventions, and build issues aside (there's almost always some at-least-tangential relation between stats input and stats genereated in LoL items), Riot has always been wary about duplicating champion abilities as items. However, the abilities you're drawing on (Cho's & Swain's passives, and Tryn's Q) could be considered non-definitive and thus candidates for duplication.

This takes us to the second problem; the base stats overlap too much with Gunblade, and the active overlaps too much with Crucible. You also have the problem that, while the LS is decent, the SV is a joke. APs will get Will, and hybrids will get Gunblade. Anyone who wants the heal should just get Crucible. Because of these factors, the item you suggest seems fundamentally flawed.

Doxkid

12-10-2012

^Overlord's bloodmail

It's a weak version of this, but it's still the spirit child of this guy's item.