Season 3 Jungling - When should I gank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LaXGhosty

12-10-2012

How much should I actually be ganking in the season 3 jungle?

It's supposed to be different from Season 2 but people still want season 2 style ganking in lanes when I play with them. I'm not really sure what to do...

Usually when I think a lane will be pushed I start at the middle or sometimes opposite side of the map and farm the jungle on the way to that lane... So if top lane needs a gank I might start from either Wraiths/Golem then farm my way up towards top lane getting the other camps on the way.

Ganking feels so much harder too, now Oracles has been nerfed, Sight Stone and 1min Mastery ward introduced. Bot lane is almost always warded in 1 tall bush and river bush. Some top laners get it too.

When I try to farm people complain that I'm not ganking enough. Even after many failed ganks people accuse me of flat-out not ganking... I do gank, it just doesn't always work :\
This usually happens when all 3 lanes are getting pushed. What can I do?
I don't know when to farm and when to drop everything I'm doing and gank. Can anyone help?

Hageshii01

12-11-2012

I would love an answer to this, even if it's a simple "they don't know what they are talking about, keep doing what you're doing."

The problem I'm personally having is health. Oh I'm clearing the camps just fine, but by the time I think to myself "I should go try and grab a gank top" my health is less than half and I've spent most of my pots. And that's just grabbing wolves, blue, wraith, golems, and then wraith and/or wolves again. Then I go BACK to grab some health and either solo top has already died or else I get yelled at for not taking a gank opportunity.

All Delete

12-11-2012

Well, who are you jungling with?

LaXGhosty

12-11-2012

I play a lot of junglers. Amumu, Diana, Dr Mundo, Lee Sin, Maokai, Nocturne, Shyvana, Skarner, Udyr

DonkeySpanker

07-17-2013

I have the same problem.What I do is: I farm until I see either an enemy over-extending or an opportunity to gank near where i'm currently farming. Just look for good opportunities in between camps

Akromah

07-17-2013

Half of the champs you listed are really really ****ty gankers.

Melvear

07-18-2013

One trick i learned is that you can come from the lane you want to gank and get into the side bush and then wait for the other team to push (of course, this assumes your laner can push the lane so you aren't seen getting in the bush in the first place).

Often tri brush isn't warded bot/top, so you can get in from there, or you can attempt a flash gank from just below/above blue if you're on the other side of the map.

Same deal with mid, try to go around the river and not through it.

As for when, well, that depends. Usually, when a lane is pushed is a good time, but sometimes just showing up can put people on their toes and this can relieve some pressure off of your teammates that were struggling.

Akromah

07-18-2013

I don't know why I got downvoted. I'm not being rude. Just honest.

Etherimp

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageshii01 View Post
I would love an answer to this, even if it's a simple "they don't know what they are talking about, keep doing what you're doing."

The problem I'm personally having is health. Oh I'm clearing the camps just fine, but by the time I think to myself "I should go try and grab a gank top" my health is less than half and I've spent most of my pots. And that's just grabbing wolves, blue, wraith, golems, and then wraith and/or wolves again. Then I go BACK to grab some health and either solo top has already died or else I get yelled at for not taking a gank opportunity.
Smite less blue-> red -> gank. Wraiths and wolves -> gank. Farm jungle until 6 minutes, recall, buy boots+machete upgrade, 2 pots 2 wards -> ward enemy buffs -> steal buffs and gank some more.

You're farming too much and not ganking early enough. You should aim to get a kill for your team at level 3. Most lanes will be level 1 or 2 and many won't have wards up yet.

Also be sure you are taxing the lane. 2-3 last hits on creeps will help you stay ahead.

AskKarthus

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akromah View Post
I don't know why I got downvoted. I'm not being rude. Just honest.
I find the only questionable gankers on that list are Shyv (who was killed by the jungle changes), Dr. Mundo (who was also killed by the changes), and Skarner (who was nerfed to oblivion).