Meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyrannus0

12-10-2012

So, I've heard the terms, AP bruiser, AD carry and what not thrown around, and while I know, what AP(ability power) means, and what AD(attack damage) means, what do the other concepts mean? Who goes to what lane, and why?

Tyrannus0

12-10-2012

bump

l Gankfest l

12-10-2012

read some guides on the internet and the guides in the sticky are a good place to start.

light079

12-10-2012

Right so essentially i will just tell you what roles are what

Bruiser: Will generally go top lane, Builds health and resistance with a little bit of damage an example is Jayce (your role is to soak damage whilst dealing enough to become a problem)

AD Carry: Almost always goes bot lane with a support (ill get to that in a sec) Generally you want to build mainly Attack Damage items with a little bit of resistance/health (you willbe the main damage source late game whilst absolutley useless early game)

AP Carry: Almost exactly the same as the AD Carry except they will go mid and build Ability Power rather than Attack Damage (your role is to target the main damage dealers on the enemy team and burst them so they die almost instantly)

Jungler: will not go on any lane they will go into the jungle and farm the minions there starting on blue buff if mana consumption is required for there abilitys or starting on red buff if they do not require mana. As this role you will want to watch the game carefully picking good oppertunities to go to one of the three lanes and set up a kill by turning it into uneven odds. (your role is to be the one that unevens fights creating a better chance for a better outcome)

Support: Does exactly what it sounds like. They will buy wards to thwart enemy jungler ganks and they will generally buy items that will buff there team and give them an overall advantage in team fights. (your role is to make sure that your team doesnt get raped)

Reasons for lanes:

Bruiser goes to top because it is the easiest lane for the jungler to gank so you generally want a tanky person on top.

Ap Carry goes to mid because it allows for them to gank effectively as well as being able to farm minions in the most safety.

Ad Carry & Support go bot because they just do

Does that clarify?

Tyrannus0

12-10-2012

Sounds good, thanks.

chaser676

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by light079 View Post

Ad Carry & Support go bot because they just do ;)
Having two people bot gives greater dragon control

ACGIFT

12-10-2012

Keep in mind that the meta isn't 100% inflexible; it's changed a LOT through the ages, and right now is definitely getting shaken up. I'm noticing a lot fewer junglers, and for instance, a lot more double-top formations.

Keep in mind that "role/class" is not the same as slot. Hence "jungler" isn't actually a role/class, same as "pusher" isn't such a role/class. They're just capabilities. A lot of jungling-capable characters often won't even FIT in other lanes in most metas, but many do. (Nunu and Cho'Gath come to mind as those I've seen the tournaments show in and out of jungle)

It's also a little confusing since as far as broad roles go, it seems like there's SIX roles; bruiser, tank, assassin, AP mage, support, and AD carry. The standard, or "EU meta," (as it was first brought to prominence when European teams used it in the first global LoL tournaments) uses typically a bruiser (or sometimes tank) top, an AP mage (or sometimes an AP assassin like Kassadin or Katarina) mid, an AD Carry + support bottom, and a jungler that could be a tank, assassin, or bruiser. (but usually not redundant to whatever top or mid might have)

As the others have already said, the EU formation has a number of good strengths: good dragon control, as well as a balance of powerful lane presence (with good sustain and monster control) and gank opportunities.

The next-most-common formation meta would be "double-top," which differs chiefly in that instead of a jungler, there's two people top; this is often another bruiser, or sometimes a support or (as I've seen) an AP mage/AP assassin suited for top. (Vladamir, Swain, and Kassadin pop to mind) This removes the option for such frequent, unpredictable ganking, but makes top lane VASTLY more dangerous to the enemy.