Update Team Sidebar?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RhynoD

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
Couldn't one possibility be to have two dots below the green one? Color coded to try and match the summoner spell color? Or tiny squares that are miniature summoner spell squares? There are several small additions I can see being made, not saying you haven't thought of them, but some sort of indicator could be beneficial. Also It took me about 9 months to know what the green dot was for, so more dots would simply go with learning what the current grren one. I frequently would like to know what my allies have, but since I can't type quickly and efficently I don't have much choice. This isn't a priority, but to not have a feature like this ever seems a bit silly.
Although I'm not colorblind, I have a friend who is exceedingly colorblind. Too much color coding gets in the way of clarity. Even for me, I can't imagine having any more... stuff in the HUD. There's a LOT to keep track of. I barely keep track of the one green dot telling me about ults, and I definitely don't keep track of health bars with the team HUD at all except for after teamfights when I'm looking to see how we came out of it, and even then I often just look at the bars over the sprites on the screen instead of the HUD. Knowing all the information would be awesome, but more stuff on the screen will just get in the way of the information I'm already trying to keep track of.

RhynoD

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeKtorWithAK View Post
Bourns, could you easily implement the cooldowns in the "tab" screen scoreboard where it clearly shows your team mates summoner choice already?
This I'm actually OK with if it can be done. It won't be in the way at all unless I ask it to be. Seems good.

Kedros

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Right now I feel that the information on the HUD is too spaced out and not exactly intuitive. You have the Sidebar on the top left with important info and then the Minimap on the bottom right with important map awareness information. Last we have the enemy information on the top. Its something that we should look at more often but I'm sure almost nobody really looks at unless they have a very specific reason.

When the Perb UI came out it allowed us to reposition the UI as desired and I saw a lot of people putting the Team sidebar horizontally on top of the minimap. Others redesigned the UI to be more like a car dashboard with the most important information in the center radiating out.

The problem with such a centralized HUD is that it obscures that center area of the map. The current UI is designed to give you most view of the play area as possible with the most information. Finding the balance between UI information and actually playfield view is very difficult.

With all that out of the way, here are some of my thoughts.

1. Reposition the Team Sidebar onto the Minimap or closer to the minimap. Less eye movement for more information. Not only do you see the positions of the team, but health and utility.

2a. Add a debuff timer for summoner spells on champions. It is not at a glance information, but it is as simple as updating the F1-F4 keys to be your teammates and bringing up info as if you clicked on them. They are sorely underused function keys. The problem is that your enemy can also see your summoner cooldowns unless Riot can produce team only debuff icons.

2b. The other option is to provide the information over your own summoner spells as filled or empty boxes similar to ranked abilities. It may be convoluted, but you can have them start as closest champ to farthest champ (left to right). Now thats a bit of coding so the order could be whats on the team sidebar instead.

3. Blue/Purple reversed UI. I think this has been brought up before. Purple side is at a disadvantage due to their main playfield being covered by the UI. Blue side has their rear covered where it is unlikely for an enemy to appear and kill them. Purple side has to worry more because they cannot see the same playfield as Blue due to the UI. The simple solution is to create a top frame UI to mirror the current bottom frame UI. Will it confuse some people? Yes. Will it be a detriment and insurmountable shift in UI? Hardly.