Warned for Unusual Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rysan Marquise

12-08-2012

I thought this happened last time I was warned, and it has happened again. I am clearly getting warned for when I build unusual items and do poorly. I play a reasonable number of games, it is only reasonable I do poorly in many of them. The ones where I do poorly and have unusual builds in though - there I was 'clearly trolling'.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/en/case/6024678/

I won't always say I was the most positive individual, but I am pretty sure I am well above average. These reports are all clearly for trying unusual builds in normal games. This shouldn't be acceptable.

Great Pyrenees

12-08-2012

Hi there, I took some time and did you a favor in reviewing your case for you.
In Game 1 “I got into this mess by having ultra faith in my peers” And the academy award for the most backhanded compliment goes to .. Negative attitude.
In Game 2 More backhanded comments "trying to deal with the failure ... of focusing when people whine" ... Negative attitude.
In Game 3 "everyone is sucking harder than me" no two of your team mates were much better.
Because you did these things and broke the summoner’s code you do deserve this punishment. LoL is a free game and we have to sign a EULA saying we will follow the summoner’s code in order to play. If you have any questions on how the tribunal works please take a look at my guide in the guides section.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2852824
I recommend you play at least 50 beg bot games in order to put some room in-between your new cases and this way you will not be immediately banned again. Also when playing beginner bots you may make some new friends and help people learn the game. I believe in you and know you can return to us a more positive member of the community. Take care and good luck my friend =)

Jamie98s

12-08-2012

The rules around here are if you complain about being banned then you deserve it. If you get permabanned for getting sheen on riven you will be perma banned and no one will feel sorry for you

lCantGetNoSleep

12-09-2012

Don't act smart and pretend like you don't know what you're doing.

Game 2 and 3.

Rysan Marquise

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pyrenees View Post
Hi there, I took some time and did you a favor in reviewing your case for you.
In Game 1 “I got into this mess by having ultra faith in my peers” And the academy award for the most backhanded compliment goes to .. Negative attitude.
In Game 2 More backhanded comments "trying to deal with the failure ... of focusing when people whine" ... Negative attitude.
In Game 3 "everyone is sucking harder than me" no two of your team mates were much better.
[...]
I recommend you play at least 50 beg bot games in order to put some room in-between your new cases and this way you will not be immediately banned again. Also when playing beginner bots you may make some new friends and help people learn the game. I believe in you and know you can return to us a more positive member of the community. Take care and good luck my friend =)
If I am not allowed two to three lines of negativity in a game where our entire team is being crushed, then that is a ludicrous standard. More significantly, it isn't even the reason I am being reported. By your standard a vast majority of players would eventually be found guilty just for incidentally being reported.

How do I know I wasn't reported for negativity or harassment? The players said so. They made it clear, usually in the report directly, that I was being reported for how I was playing the game - not what I was saying.

To hold people to such a standard is absurd. Whats more, it seems like this is just a lie - a deception. Lets ignore my case in specific. It speaks to a larger issue that nobody (or at least relatively few) is being reported for saying the things I say - though they are being banned for it. They are being reported for doing poorly.

I have had games where I acted worse for this, at least I believe I must have. I don't take particular issue with being warned or banned personally. What I take issue with is the fact that people are getting warned or banned for playing poorly.

You can tell me that it was justified by my behavior, and maybe it was, but that definitely wasn't the cause.

lCantGetNoSleep

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysan Marquise View Post
If I am not allowed two to three lines of negativity in a game where our entire team is being crushed, then that is a ludicrous standard. More significantly, it isn't even the reason I am being reported. By your standard a vast majority of players would eventually be found guilty just for incidentally being reported.

How do I know I wasn't reported for negativity or harassment? The players said so. They made it clear, usually in the report directly, that I was being reported for how I was playing the game - not what I was saying.

To hold people to such a standard is absurd. Whats more, it seems like this is just a lie - a deception. Lets ignore my case in specific. It speaks to a larger issue that nobody (or at least relatively few) is being reported for saying the things I say - though they are being banned for it. They are being reported for doing poorly.

I have had games where I acted worse for this, at least I believe I must have. I don't take particular issue with being warned or banned personally. What I take issue with is the fact that people are getting warned or banned for playing poorly.

You can tell me that it was justified by my behavior, and maybe it was, but that definitely wasn't the cause.
It doesn't matter what you get reported for.

If someone thinks you have the illegal possession of drugs and gets a search warrant to look for drugs and they find two dead people in your house, the police don't just go "oh but we were only here for drugs" and leave.

Rysan Marquise

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lCantGetNoSleep View Post
It doesn't matter what you get reported for.

If someone thinks you have the illegal possession of drugs and gets a search warrant to look for drugs and they find two dead people in your house, the police don't just go "oh but we were only here for drugs" and leave.
Maybe if I was trying to overturn my report you would be right.

I am not.

This is closer to someone getting reported 'for being black' and being searched for drugs. In a town where half of everyone uses drugs.

When the focus of the reports is aimed at individuals who have done nothing illegal 'is black'/''bad player' and this uncovers something 'has drugs'/'was negative', this creates a systemic issue, especially when an unsustainably large portion of the 'not black'/'people who play consistently' population also 'uses drugs'/'is negative'.

Do you understand the issue now? The issue is that in all of the games I was reported in, many other people were worse offenders of negativity than me. Because the code is so nebulous, and it is so easy to accuse people of breaking it, a huge portion of the community is a potential offender. The limiting reagent in this is reports, because of the tacit agreement of the community that these standards are too strict. Instead these reports are used as a response to unreportable offenses, effectively granting those offenses.

Worse yet, it seems to just be an excuse for a stronger underlying principle. I have seen a number of cases which might have been for intentional feeding, but it was difficult to unprovable. It is very realistic that these individuals could be prone to having bad games.

Do you understand my issue now?

FatesDefiler

12-09-2012

i'm glad to see this ban. you see, i'm the type of player that constantly get's matched with persons like you, who think it's funny and amusing and cute to build support heimerdinger and go 1/10. what people like you don't realize is that you're ruining the game for everyone else in it besides you.

having recieved multiple bans for going afk or experiencing frustration at the hands of players like yourself, I only wish this ban of yours was permanent. then people who actually know what they're doing and want to have a good competition can do so without people like you goofing it up.

Rysan Marquise

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatesDefiler View Post
i'm glad to see this ban. you see, i'm the type of player that constantly get's matched with persons like you, who think it's funny and amusing and cute to build support heimerdinger and go 1/10. what people like you don't realize is that you're ruining the game for everyone else in it besides you.

having recieved multiple bans for going afk or experiencing frustration at the hands of players like yourself, I only wish this ban of yours was permanent. then people who actually know what they're doing and want to have a good competition can do so without people like you goofing it up.
I am not being banned, but thank you for being a fine example of the sort of 'justice' that I am talking about.

I totally believe that alot of people in Tribunal think they are making the game a better place with their bans based on behaviors - which are rather strict. I feel that the larger issue is that those standards are strict enough that it allows other standards to secretly be the real ones.

BillyTheAttorney

12-09-2012

Hi OP - Let me preface this that after reading your cases, I would not have punished. I won't say whether or not I would have pardoned or skipped it, because I don't know. But having read your posts, I will say this about unconventional builds (because, I like to do it sometimes too)

1) You need to let your team know beforehand that you're going to try out an unconventional build. If you don't say anything and then start building strange things people will think you're trolling. Because that's what trolls do. They don't mention what they're building, and then you find an Ashe with a Void Staff. You know. "So the arrow is OP lawlzies"

2) Something in game five caught my interest:

Varus [00:00:13] teemo is top
Varus [00:00:16] and going hybrid
Varus [00:00:21] which is slang for awful

This was said before you went with the MBR/Stinger build on Varus. I mean. If you're going to go for unconventional builds, should you really be knocking someone else's? It seems hypocritical at worse, or at the least a confusing message to the team when you follow it up with something strange.

3) When using an unusual champ as a support - gotta make sure it's okay with your lane partner or at least tell him. Remember he's in the lane with you as well. "Is it alright if I try something different for a support?" Some people might say no. Some people might say "sure! It's normal! lets try!" But at least then you won't have everyone blaming you under the sun.

In essence - to help you avoid a ban in the future, just make sure you're clear in champ select as to what you're about to do. If the consensus is a total and resounding "NO!" I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it anyway....

but you'd better do it well, otherwise expect reports. Because "I'm doing it anyway" is very similar to the "MID OR FEED!" people you find. The message is "I do what I want, to hell with you." When, the point of this game is to try to get you and 4 others to try to work together to win.

Hope this helps.