A thought on how to improve the Tribunal.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apocalyptic√źeath

12-10-2012

I am a fan of how the Tribunal works in most of its aspects. It allows the community as a whole to part take in the punishment of those who choose to not play with sportsman like conduct and try to better help the community.

However with that being said, I also believe that it still has room to grow and to better continue help the community. Here are some thoughts on what I think that might help.

"Insta-Punish" is a terrible thought that comes from anyone who has ever been banned. I have been around on the forums quite a lot and I believe that most cry out about this as their excuse. Here is how I believe this problem can be resolved.

1- Since you are taking your time going through these, you shouldn't be rushed for time. So making it to where you have to scroll through all of the matches posted in the case should be mandatory.
2- Have at least minimum of "highlights" per say. As an example, you have to highlight what you found to be "punish" material so that when the player reviews their own case they can better see what they did wrong. I have seen so many people post their case and say they have no idea what they did wrong.
3- Perhaps leave a small section at the bottom so that we may put in a few side notes for them. So as to how they can improve themselves to try and not get put back into the Tribunal.

"Review" For those cases that have been classified as punished, possibly add something in for a community review. Instead of people flooding the forums with "review my case!!" instead have a section already integrated into the Tribunal for those who want to try and appeal the decision. If the appeal would go through I believe then it should go to Riot as a final review for the removal of the punishment.

Norwenna

12-10-2012

it can be improved by being removed

AJStarhiker

12-10-2012

I like the highlight idea, although I'm not sure how they would implement it as a mandetory feature.

Wheremi

12-10-2012

Admittedly those aren't bad ideas on paper considering although I can certainly say I think they would need to be addressed a bit if ever put into practice.

Point #1 I don't think would solve the underlying issue, at most it would be met with the same success that forcing someone to scroll through an ELUA agreement does on actually getting them to read, yes you can say they need to get to the bottom to read it but that does nothing to assure anyone has actually read it. More to the point in cases were there is something that is indeed punish worthy in the first case of say five, now that is just a few more cases that need to be dragged through purely as a formality when judgment in that case may have already been decided in the Judge's case. At most this would help push people who want to pardon fairly into reading all the cases.

Point #2 I think is arguably the best suggestion of the three, and I really cannot think of many reasons this would be a bad idea. Often times when getting ready to vote punish I think of which case stood out to me the most and for why. Having the ability to mark certain sections of the chat where the code has been broken as a reason would be a very good way to help both the accused see what they are being punished for but also for Riot's sakes if saved if they ever needed to review that report ever again. Making their job easier on both confirming if a permanent ban is in order at the end of the line or if it has been a series of false positives

Point #3 I don't think much needs to be said on, it ties a fair bit into Point #2 and again is indeed a good idea to help facilitate information for those who do wish to reform and could again help Riot if a case ever comes to them if preserved.

As far as reviews are concerned I believe players are already intended to submit a support ticket to Riot support if they wish for an appeal as it is out of the tribunal's hands at that point. I would assume Riot is smart enough to have included a link or a suggestion of such in the emails and reform cards given to players when action is taken against their account, if not however that would indeed be a good thing to change. If only to reduce the amount of frustrated players that need to be told that if they want an appeal done they need to talk to Riot, not us.

Getsuei

12-10-2012

1)If you find something that is punishable, you don't really have to read through anymore cases.

2)1 is a minimul amount of things needed in some cases, there are some extreme comments out there that make things negatitve(racial slurs for example.) That is the only reason why I do not like requiring more =(

3)I love the side note for comments, but they should not be viewable by anyone besides Riot. They can be easily abused otherwise.

Silent Haven85

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsuei View Post
1)If you find something that is punishable, you don't really have to read through anymore cases.

2)1 is a minimul amount of things needed in some cases, there are some extreme comments out there that make things negatitve(racial slurs for example.) That is the only reason why I do not like requiring more =(

3)I love the side note for comments, but they should not be viewable by anyone besides Riot. They can be easily abused otherwise.
I am not sure if I like your first point there. Yes you only need one reason to report someone, but I do not think you should stop reviewing their case because they made one slip up. If you actually read the context maybe you might feel more forgiving of them, people are only human after all and Riot is really wanting to get rid of the toxic players, not those who might be having a bad day.

For example, if I saw a case with five games in it and the person slipped up and raged one line out at someone, I would not punish him for just that single line.

Weezlebub

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Haven85 View Post
For example, if I saw a case with five games in it and the person slipped up and raged one line out at someone, I would not punish him for just that single line.
Well Lyte has stated that 1 case is enough, remember they have to be reported like 20% of all their games to even get in the tribunal. It's not just that have 5 reports in total. So depending on the offensiveness of the line I would not feel at all bad about clicking punish.

Silent Haven85

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezlebub View Post
Well Lyte has stated that 1 case is enough, remember they have to be reported like 20% of all their games to even get in the tribunal. It's not just that have 5 reports in total. So depending on the offensiveness of the line I would not feel at all bad about clicking punish.
I still think people should be encouraged to review the cases more than just scroll down and look for curse words.