Kiri, The Master of Mist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

highrez

12-11-2012

My attempt at an assassin with two damaging moves, and water themed abilities.

Tags
Assassin, Melee

Base Stats
Health: 450 (+85)
Mana: 300 (+50)
Attack damage: 50 (+4)
Attack speed: 0.655 (+3.1%)
Range: 125
Armor: 18 (+4)
Magic Resistance: 37
Health regen: 9 (+1.5)
Mana regen: 7 (+1.25)
Movement Speed: 325

Abilities
Passive: Silent Killing
Kiri's basic attacks silence enemies for 0.5 seconds and amplifies Kiri's damage against that target for 3 seconds. This effect cannot trigger on the same target more than once every 20 seconds.
Damage amplification: 3/7/11%

Q: Water Spider
For the next 4 seconds, Kiri deals magic damage in a small radius. Water Spider's damage is increased against enemies Kiri autoattacks.
Magic damage per second: 35/60/85/110/135 (+40% AP)
Diameter of AOE: 350
Cooldown: 7 seconds
Mana cost: 40/45/50/55/60
Mechanics: When Kiri attacks with a basic attack and Water Spider is active, the target will gain one stack of Drowning. Each stack of Drowning increases the damage taken by Water Spider by 8%. Drowning stacks 3 times and lasts for 4 seconds.

W: Hidden Door
Kiri becomes invisible for 1 second. This ability can be recast to dash a short distance to a unit.
Dash range: 450
Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10 seconds
Mana cost: 40/45/50/55/60
Note: If the targeted unit is an enemy Kiri will attempt to autoattack them.

E: Brine
Kiri shoots a thin stream of water out in a straight line. The first target it hits receives magic damage and is slowed by 30% for 3 seconds. Kiri's attack speed against the afflicted target is increased.
Magic damage: 80/130/180/220/270 (+75% AP)
Attack speed increase: 35/38/41/44/47%
Range: 800
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Mana cost: 55/60/65/70/75

R: Saizō's Secret Mist
Kiri covers a large area in a blanket of mist for 8 seconds. Enemies inside the mist have their vision range reduced and are slowed. Enemies outside the mist cannot see inside the mist.
Target range: 1000
Diameter of target AOE: 1200
Vision range in mist: 500
Slow: 15/25/35%
Cooldown: 160/140/120
Mana cost: 80/90/100

Concept
The assassin is often powerful in early game, but can fall off late game as single target burst becomes less important. When I was making Kiri I wanted to try and create an assassin which relies on very few actual abilities to deal damage. Kiri's damage source is mainly Water Spider and Drowning stacks.

The first ability I created was Water Spider, as every champion should have their main damage source. The AOE function of Water Spider is to allow shoving lanes (in top lane) or jungling. However, despite being an AOE ability Kiri is still supposed to be an assassin, and Water Spider was too weak of a move to drop enemies with even a bit of tankiness, but the move itself became too overpowered if I just increased the damage. The Drowning mechanic was my solution to this, allowing more damage to a single target.

The rest of the abilities are all moves to support Water Spider and make Water Spider's damage easier to apply. Hidden Door makes it easier to get in range to apply the damage and also makes it easier to apply Drowning stacks. Brine also makes it easier to get into Water Spider range and the attack speed buff makes it easier to rapidly apply Drowning stacks.

Assassins typically have escapes and tricks. Kiri's two escape moves - Hidden Door and the ultimate - compliment each other. When used properly Hidden Door can be used to juke inside mist to completely fool enemies and make them go the wrong direction. The passive is a fairly simple damage amplifier. When this damage amplifier is stacked with the Drowning damage amplifier the total amount of damage dealt can be very high. Kiri's stats are typical of an AP based assassin. Kiri is melee - a ranged autoattack would not fit with the Water Spider mechanic.

On another note, I've named Kiri's moves based of traditional Japanese ninja. A mizugumo, or water spider was a device used by ninja to cross rivers. Togakure-ryū, or The Hidden Door is a historical tradition of ninjutsu. The ultimate is named after Kirigakure Saizō from the Sanada Ten Braves.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

highrez

12-12-2012

Changelog

13/12/12
- Water Spider damage adjusted so that the base damage increase each level is constant
- Saizo's Secret Mist cooldown increased to 160/140/120 from 110/90/70
- Enemies now cannot see inside mist from outside mist
- Brine attack speed boost decreased to 35/38/41/44/47% from 40/45/50/55/60%