I'm proud that there are champs that represents my people (asian)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rhainds

12-10-2012

do u have champs that represent ur people?

Subalternate01

12-10-2012

lol yeah she is black and her name is Karma :-)

HerbaNoctis

12-10-2012

no there is no lonely caucasian internet-dweller champion afaik.
._.

Jimmy Page

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

Yeah, Mordekaiser represents me as a brazilian.

Buff Tristana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

None specifically for Puerto Rico.

armonistan

12-10-2012

And by your people, you really mean humanity right? Color, creed, and gender are mere modifiers on the whole.

shadooklaw

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subalternate01 View Post
Who?

On a more on-topic note, yeah, there are certainly a very oriental-looking champions and places in Runeterra (Iownya), but there's a lot less (canon) representation for any other nationalities, as there are three major ones in Runeterra, namely Ionia for Asia, Freljord for more Nordic ones and the general populace for, well, Europe and NA. Then there's Morde es #1 Huehuehuehue for Brazil as well as Karma, but then that's about it.

Prince Kassad

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subalternate01 View Post
Even though Karma is black/brown-skinned, she represents pan-Asian religion more than anything else. She doesn't really represent black/brown culture (well aside from some Hindu themes).

I really want to have a champion who is actually inspired by African or African-American culture. That would be awesome. Imagine a champion based off Anansi, Brer Rabbit, a Hoodoo priest, or like a Jazz-Age Piltover champion. There are so many possiblities.

Morec0

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Kassad View Post
Even though Karma is black/brown-skinned, she represents pan-Asian religion more than anything else. She doesn't really represent black/brown culture (well aside from some Hindu themes).

I really want to have a champion who is actually inspired by African or African-American culture. That would be awesome. Imagine a champion based off Anansi, Brer Rabbit, a Hoodoo priest, or like a Jazz-Age Piltover champion. There are so many possiblities.
The only problem is that if they make it TOO much like that people will be up in arms about it being "a racist stereotype." It's unfortunate, but they will have to tread lightly if they try to go in that direction and be very, very careful to avoid any type of backlash - and that'll take time that could be spent working on other projects, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see such a champion.

I don't agree with it, but that's what has happened before and we haven't changed all that much since then.

Prince Kassad

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
The only problem is that if they make it TOO much like that people will be up in arms about it being "a racist stereotype." It's unfortunate, but they will have to tread lightly if they try to go in that direction and be very, very careful to avoid any type of backlash - and that'll take time that could be spent working on other projects, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see such a champion.

I don't agree with it, but that's what has happened before and we haven't changed all that much since then.
If Riot even half-heartedly tries to be respectful of African/Caribbean culture they are gonna be fine. Black gamers aren't that sensitive; they love the Witch Doctor in Diablo and he is a pretty inaccurate representation of shamanism. But then again Jarvan is a pretty inaccurate representation of European knights/crusaders. As long as they don't go out of their way to villianize a culture (like making a black champion a cannibal or having Jarvan talk about purifying the races) no one is gonna get mad.

Heck, I started that "change Nidalee's lore" thread and I'm not mad at all about Nidalee's current lore. I'm just trying to bring attention to an often-overlooked topic. Every culture is gonna get misrepresented somewhat (except Korean culture lol... Ahri is like perfectly copied out of their mythology). So I guess I think it's better to try to include a culture than to just ignore it.