@Reds in charge of the S3 Items, Masteries & Visual Changes. [Wall of feedback]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Borand

12-10-2012

Hi!

I can't figure out any fancy introductions, so I would like to tell you what this thread is about.
In a nutshell, it's some of my thoughts about the S3 changes for which I am really eager to discuss with you. I do consider these thoughts to be constructive feedback. So please read carefully what has taken lots my time to write to you guys and please think of them if you decide to discuss.

Items:

Stuff I consider to be good:
  • New itemization has made the game fresh.
  • Certain items have been remade into more viable ones.
  • Other items have now got upgrades.
  • Certain items' balance.
  • Lots of activateable items have been implemented.
  • Randuins Omen doesn't slow based on a probability any longer.
  • Boots3 now provide something else besides movement speed.
  • All 2nd tier boots now have enhancements.
  • Eleisas Miracle disappears but leaves its passive effects behind.
  • Archangels staff and Manamune automatically upgrade into something better.
  • The new Morellos Evil Tome (Morellonomicon).
  • The Remade DFG.
  • Haunting Guise got an upgrade.
  • Executioners got a Remake.
  • The bloodthrister change.
  • The "Refresh on the fountain" items.
  • The way Guinsoos Rageblade now functions.
  • The new Tiamat.
  • The new Malady.
  • The way Tear of the Godess gains charges now.
  • The new GA, but I am still not *THAT* sure about it.
  • The new Avarice blade.
  • Zephyr.
  • Mercurial Scimitar.
  • Liandrys Torment.
  • Runic Bulwark.
  • Frozen Fist.
  • Ravenous Hydra.
  • Hunters Matchet.
  • Support itemization finally exists!

Stuff I do not like and why:
  • Transfering 25 MS from the boots to the champions is way too much. Boots are too unattractive to buy early now, because they don't have that large of an impact. I think something like 10 MS instead of 25 would have been OK.
  • Dorans shield now is not as good as it used to be. I think it would be equally good if it reduced damage based on a percentage, and if it reduced damage from abilites as well. If this change was made to combat Dorans stacking you could just give it a Unique passive or make all Dorans a one time purchase or make it that every Dorans after your 1st would cost more and sell for less. There are too many ways to balance this, why take this direction?
    Dorans blade is fine for your early game, but it doesn't scale into late game. Ring is fine I believe.
  • When playing as a support, you want to build Eleisas Miracle since it has those built in stay-forever mechanics.
    Mid game, HP regeneration falls off, and late it is kind of useless without any resistances. So you have to build this item early, which means that you are giving up your extra gp10 for as much time you need to build your next gp10. You will most likely be able to afford your second gp10 when your laning phase is at its second half. Which means that if you want to buy Eleisas it will have to be mid game which is not what should happen, especially since you have this "3 level" condition tied to it.
    I would like this item way more if it also gave gp10 (could be for a while could be for the entire game) and if, instead of having that "3 level" condition, it had an "x minutes" condition.
  • Ninja tabi reduces only champion damage. Should reduce at least monster damage as well.
  • The huge nerf on the tank class. Magic resist is a difficult stat to find now. Beloved items have become weak or removed from the game. HP5 is a rare stat now, and when found it is weak. Warmogs is nowhere near as good as what it used to be. All resistances are way more expensive than what they used to be. HP is OK~ish. All the above are actually seperate bullets on their own.
  • You are forced to build Bulwark for max MR, I am fine with this item because it is a strong, aura item. But you should have to make a call instead of being forced into the only option.
  • Why doesn't Force of Nature exist any longer? So far what has been said about why it was removed isn't enough to get the item out of the game. It was not a "fraud", it was not gamebreaking. Don't know if it was too strong or not but I think it could be put back in the game, with adjusted price, etc.
  • The spirit of the spectral wraith builds out of a Rejunevation bead but it doesn't give any HP5. This is weird.
  • Frozen fist does not have any MS as opposed to all the other Sheen upgrades. I don't know if it should have, I just hoped this item would have some %MS tied to it too, since tanks need it a lot.
  • The Shurelias adjustments hit the tank class again. Tanks brought Shurelias but they gave up Tankiness for a good initiation or flee. It was the only item that offered decent regenerations on both HP and mana, but it doesn't do this any longer.
  • Catalyst has less HP, less Mana, regenerates less. It also doesn't pass it's passive onto its upgrades, except for RoA.
  • The way Banshees Veil is now you cannot block a second spell when you are under a siege, you cannot block a Karthus ult, etc. As long as there is an enemy champion next to you, you won't get your bubble back for a long time.
  • I would prefer the active on Gunblade to scale off both your AD and AP. This way you wouldn't be forced to either build ADish to get the cooldown down again, or APish for more burst.
  • Executioners still builds into... nothing. The new executioners is nice, but it doesn't build into anything. Please make it build into something.!
  • Trinity provides a longer slow than Frozen mallet, and it is still random.
  • I would prefer if you kept the Green Elixir and remade it, instead of removing it.
  • Malady is great now too, but I hoped it would have an upgrade just like I hope for Executioners.
  • The Lich Bane nerf. I don't like the fact that it no longer provides MR and I don't like the MS nerf on it.
  • Muramana is nice! But I still would like it to give something besides AD and mana. Some crit chance, lifesteal or CDR would be perfect.
  • Rabadons nerf. Why did this happen?
  • RoA nerf. Same complaints with catalyst here.
  • There are too little items with On-hit Damage.
  • Randuins Omen now has a certain slow (MS/AS) but it is weaker than what it used to be. It makes a small difference in a fight, probably because all the power has been shifted to the active. I think the passive slows should be buffed.
  • Zekes Herald is weak as it is for a fighter, it has a powerful aura but for the holder it is weak. It needs either a power up or an upgrade.
  • Runaans Hurricane. Would be great if it offered something besides AS.
  • ADs have a QSS upgrade, but...there are NO tanky upgrades to QSS.
  • Spirit of the Elder Lizard could use some Lifesteal since it is AD oriented, OR it could contain Phage in its recipe.
  • No AD/SV item yet.
  • Sightstone is great, so is its upgrade. There are two problems with them though.
    First is, since supports are too squishy, I feel this item could use some other defensive stat besides HP.
    The second is its passive. Why should you have to go to your base to recharge this item?
    You are forced to leave the lane even if you are doing well just to ward it again! If you wanted to avoid abusing this item, you could make it store wards up to a cap of 4, wards are generated every x timeunits. Also, the "can't have more than 2 wards active at the same time" is too restrictive. I think you should be able to spend you wards whichever way you want. You do have a cap after all.
  • There is a general lack of good MR items. AD carries have now got a good dmg/MR item, but the other classes don't have attractive options for MR. I used to like Abyssal but it offers 12 less MR now.
  • Why doesn't Spirit of the Ancient Golem give you a "Mana Font" passive? It is supposed to be linked to the blue golem somehow, but the only thing it reminds the Golem of is in tankiness.
  • Last, except for Zephyr, Wits end and Nashors, all the AS items have critical chance tied to them. Wits end is good, but I don't like it that much now. Nashors is a great item but fits only certain chars. And if you build Zephyr you can't build MR boots or Spirit of the Ancient Golem.
    So in a nutshell, there are too little items with AS as their primary stat. I would love it if you offered us more AS items, with some survivablity tied to them.
  • If you build MR boots, you can't build Zephyr or Spirit of the Ancient Golem. This is a problem because as a tanky jungler you have to give up your MR because of this. Same goes with champions that will build Zephyr.

My solution to the "Mercury's/Zephyr/Spirit of the Ancient Golem" problem:
Make tenacity an augment, and give Mercury's a new passive (a great example of an anti-magic passive is Kassadins innate ability).
This way, if you want tenacity you won't be forced into building Mercury's. And if you want Mercury's but have already built Zephyr or Spirit of the Golem, you can build them without having payed for a "useless" passive.

Masteries:
  • Blue tree: Blue tree is great, so far it's my favourite. The only problem is that in order to get to the useful masteries you are forced to invest into masteries that are not *that* much worth your points. Spending your mastery points there makes you spend at least 23 points in the defensive tree while you could spend only 21. Can this be dealt with please?
    It's not worth it for a tradeoff, tanks have already been hit hard by the itemization changes.
    Other than this I consider it to be great.
  • Green tree: Has its issues, but I like it a lot, too.
    Here's what I don't like so far:
    Scout: How is spending a mastery point for a mastery that makes a ward grant larger sight for 5 seconds worth it? Come on. This should be permanent, not 5 seconds. If you think it would be OP, wards could gradually lose their extra site as they where getting close to expire.
    Vampirism: If you want Lifesteal as an AD carry, you will have to give up all the offensive tree to pick up 3% lifesteal. The trade is not worth it, could you please buff the amount or just do something else about this?
    Wanderer: Even though I believe I do get its use, once you get caught this mastery is not worth it.
    Pickpocket: Wonderful, I really like it.
    Nimble: When you go down the mastery tree, you expect to see something of equal magnitude to Honour Guard and Executioner. But you don't. 3% Movement speed is not worth putting 21 mastery points in this tree.
    What I think could work is: Reduce ambient gold income a bit, and make this mastery read:"Your ambient gold is increased to 20(ish) gold per 10 and every time you autoattack a champion you gain x gold (y seconds cooldown)." This way all gold-related masteries are packed into one, powerful mastery at the bottom of the tree, that you want to dig to get to. Keep the Wealth mastery on its own and remove Greed and pickpocket instead. Insert a couple of useful masteries to compensate. This wouldn't be broken, because if you were to have a constant 20 gp10 you would trade power or survivability for it.
    The rest of the tree I like.
  • Red tree: Not anything to complain about, it's nice. I would like it if AP and AS where increased to 5 and 5% respectively, but it's by no means necessary. Still, 1% isn't a great deal since AS has gotten more rare and more expensive. Also, in my opinion the %Magic Penetration mastery could be tied to something else (at the top of the tree again), but this is also not necessary, it's just a personal bias.
    Other than these personal preferences, I find that the tree is fine.

Visual-related changes/additions:
  • Old item icons and some of the new item icons are thematically inconsistent.
  • HUD and new shop are thematically inconsistent with both: the fantasy of LoL and the rest of the client. The new HUD doesn't maintain the runic, medieval feeling of the game. It makes it look sci-fi. The only thing I like about it is the yellow bars under your skills. (I know lots of players agree on this and lots of others disagree. Could there be a way for us to chose between the two HUDs?)
  • The new blue, red, and baron buffs are not easily readable. As the buffs were, when you saw them you were like "oh, look that guy has a buff, I'd better be careful and snatch it when I can!". There used to be an easy to read and noticable difference on them. As the buffs are now you are like "oh wait, that guy had a buff on him all this time?"
I don't want to complain but the buffs are not easily readable, and Riot has for long made clear how important readability is for the health of the game.

I hope you take these into consideration. Even if you disagree from you Dev standpoint, I want to have some answers.
Hope I get to talk with the people overseeing these changes. Lots of my time went into composing this, I would feel bad if you guys ignored it..
Thanks!

Borand

12-11-2012

No replies yet

FA Kizaru

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borand View Post
Hi!

I can't figure out any fancy introductions, so I would like to tell you what this thread is about.
In a nutshell, it's some of my thoughts about the S3 changes for which I am really eager to discuss with you. I do consider these thoughts to be constructive feedback. So please read carefully what has taken lots my time to write to you guys and please think of them if you decide to discuss.

Items:

Stuff I consider to be good:
  • New itemization has made the game fresh.
  • Certain items have been remade into more viable ones.
  • Other items have now got upgrades.
  • Certain items' balance.
  • Lots of activateable items have been implemented.
  • Randuins Omen doesn't slow based on a probability any longer.
  • Boots3 now provide something else besides movement speed.
  • All 2nd tier boots now have enhancements.
  • Eleisas Miracle disappears but leaves its passive effects behind.
  • Archangels staff and Manamune automatically upgrade into something better.
  • The new Morellos Evil Tome (Morellonomicon).
  • The Remade DFG.
  • Haunting Guise got an upgrade.
  • Executioners got a Remake.
  • The bloodthrister change.
  • The "Refresh on the fountain" items.
  • The way Guinsoos Rageblade now functions.
  • The new Tiamat.
  • The new Malady.
  • The way Tear of the Godess gains charges now.
  • The new GA, but I am still not *THAT* sure about it.
  • The new Avarice blade.
  • Zephyr.
  • Mercurial Scimitar.
  • Liandrys Torment.
  • Runic Bulwark.
  • Frozen Fist.
  • Ravenous Hydra.
  • Hunters Matchet.
  • Support itemization finally exists!

• Transfering 25 MS from the boots to the champions is way too much. Boots are too unattractive to buy early now, because they don't have that large of an impact. I think something like 10 MS instead of 25 would have been OK.
  • Dorans shield now is not as good as it used to be. I think it would be equally good if it reduced damage based on a percentage, and if it reduced damage from abilites as well. If this change was made to combat Dorans stacking you could just give it a Unique passive or make all Dorans a one time purchase or make it that every Dorans after your 1st would cost more and sell for less. There are too many ways to balance this, why take this direction?
    Dorans blade is fine for your early game, but it doesn't scale into late game. Ring is fine I believe.
  • When playing as a support, you want to build Eleisas Miracle since it has those built in stay-forever mechanics.
    Mid game, HP regeneration falls off, and late it is kind of useless without any resistances. So you have to build this item early, which means that you are giving up your extra gp10 for as much time you need to build your next gp10. You will most likely be able to afford your second gp10 when your laning phase is at its second half. Which means that if you want to buy Eleisas it will have to be mid game which is not what should happen, especially since you have this "3 level" condition tied to it.
    I would like this item way more if it also gave gp10 (could be for a while could be for the entire game) and if, instead of having that "3 level" condition, it had an "x minutes" condition.
  • Ninja tabi reduces only champion damage. Should reduce at least monster damage as well.
  • The huge nerf on the tank class. Magic resist is a difficult stat to find now. Beloved items have become weak or removed from the game. HP5 is a rare stat now, and when found it is weak. Warmogs is nowhere near as good as what it used to be. All resistances are way more expensive than what they used to be. HP is OK~ish. All the above are actually seperate bullets on their own.
  • You are forced to build Bulwark for max MR, I am fine with this item because it is a strong, aura item. But you should have to make a call instead of being forced into the only option.
  • Why doesn't Force of Nature exist any longer? So far what has been said about why it was removed isn't enough to get the item out of the game. It was not a "fraud", it was not gamebreaking. Don't know if it was too strong or not but I think it could be put back in the game, with adjusted price, etc.
  • The spirit of the spectral wraith builds out of a Rejunevation bead but it doesn't give any HP5. This is weird.
  • Frozen fist does not have any MS as opposed to all the other Sheen upgrades. I don't know if it should have, I just hoped this item would have some %MS tied to it too, since tanks need it a lot.
  • The Shurelias adjustments hit the tank class again. Tanks brought Shurelias but they gave up Tankiness for a good initiation or flee. It was the only item that offered decent regenerations on both HP and mana, but it doesn't do this any longer.
  • Catalyst has less HP, less Mana, regenerates less. It also doesn't pass it's passive onto its upgrades, except for RoA.
  • The way Banshees Veil is now you cannot block a second spell when you are under a siege, you cannot block a Karthus ult, etc. As long as there is an enemy champion next to you, you won't get your bubble back for a long time.
  • I would prefer the active on Gunblade to scale off both your AD and AP. This way you wouldn't be forced to either build ADish to get the cooldown down again, or APish for more burst.
  • Executioners still builds into... nothing. The new executioners is nice, but it doesn't build into anything. Please make it build into something.!
  • Trinity provides a longer slow than Frozen mallet, and it is still random.
  • I would prefer if you kept the Green Elixir and remade it, instead of removing it.
  • Malady is great now too, but I hoped it would have an upgrade just like I hope for Executioners.
  • The Lich Bane nerf. I don't like the fact that it no longer provides MR and I don't like the MS nerf on it.
  • Muramana is nice! But I still would like it to give something besides AD and mana. Some crit chance, lifesteal or CDR would be perfect.
  • Rabadons nerf. Why did this happen?
  • RoA nerf. Same complaints with catalyst here.
  • There are too little items with On-hit Damage.
  • Randuins Omen now has a certain slow (MS/AS) but it is weaker than what it used to be. It makes a small difference in a fight, probably because all the power has been shifted to the active. I think the passive slows should be buffed.
  • Zekes Herald is weak as it is for a fighter, it has a powerful aura but for the holder it is weak. It needs either a power up or an upgrade.
  • Runaans Hurricane. Would be great if it offered something besides AS.
  • ADs have a QSS upgrade, but...there are NO tanky upgrades to QSS.
  • Spirit of the Elder Lizard could use some Lifesteal since it is AD oriented, OR it could contain Phage in its recipe.
  • No AD/SV item yet.
  • Sightstone is great, so is its upgrade. There are two problems with them though.
    First is, since supports are too squishy, I feel this item could use some other defensive stat besides HP.
    The second is its passive. Why should you have to go to your base to recharge this item?
    You are forced to leave the lane even if you are doing well just to ward it again! If you wanted to avoid abusing this item, you could make it store wards up to a cap of 4, wards are generated every x timeunits. Also, the "can't have more than 2 wards active at the same time" is too restrictive. I think you should be able to spend you wards whichever way you want. You do have a cap after all.
  • There is a general lack of good MR items. AD carries have now got a good dmg/MR item, but the other classes don't have attractive options for MR. I used to like Abyssal but it offers 12 less MR now.
  • Why doesn't Spirit of the Ancient Golem give you a "Mana Font" passive? It is supposed to be linked to the blue golem somehow, but the only thing it reminds the Golem of is in tankiness.
  • Last, except for Zephyr, Wits end and Nashors, all the AS items have critical chance tied to them. Wits end is good, but I don't like it that much now. Nashors is a great item but fits only certain chars. And if you build Zephyr you can't build MR boots or Spirit of the Ancient Golem.
    So in a nutshell, there are too little items with AS as their primary stat. I would love it if you offered us more AS items, with some survivablity tied to them.
  • If you build MR boots, you can't build Zephyr or Spirit of the Ancient Golem. This is a problem because as a tanky jungler you have to give up your MR because of this. Same goes with champions that will build Zephyr.

My solution to the "Mercury's/Zephyr/Spirit of the Ancient Golem" problem:
Make tenacity an augment, and give Mercury's a new passive (a great example of an anti-magic passive is Kassadins innate ability).
This way, if you want tenacity you won't be forced into building Mercury's. And if you want Mercury's but have already built Zephyr or Spirit of the Golem, you can build them without having payed for a "useless" passive.

Masteries:
  • Blue tree: Blue tree is great, so far it's my favourite. The only problem is that in order to get to the useful masteries you are forced to invest into masteries that are not *that* much worth your points. Spending your mastery points there makes you spend at least 23 points in the defensive tree while you could spend only 21. Can this be dealt with please?
    It's not worth it for a tradeoff, tanks have already been hit hard by the itemization changes.
    Other than this I consider it to be great.
  • Green tree: Has its issues, but I like it a lot, too.
    Here's what I don't like so far:
    Scout: How is spending a mastery point for a mastery that makes a ward grant larger sight for 5 seconds worth it? Come on. This should be permanent, not 5 seconds. If you think it would be OP, wards could gradually lose their extra site as they where getting close to expire.
    Vampirism: If you want Lifesteal as an AD carry, you will have to give up all the offensive tree to pick up 3% lifesteal. The trade is not worth it, could you please buff the amount or just do something else about this?
    Wanderer: Even though I believe I do get its use, once you get caught this mastery is not worth it.
    Pickpocket: Wonderful, I really like it.
    Nimble: When you go down the mastery tree, you expect to see something of equal magnitude to Honour Guard and Executioner. But you don't. 3% Movement speed is not worth putting 21 mastery points in this tree.
    What I think could work is: Reduce ambient gold income a bit, and make this mastery read:"Your ambient gold is increased to 20(ish) gold per 10 and every time you autoattack a champion you gain x gold (y seconds cooldown)." This way all gold-related masteries are packed into one, powerful mastery at the bottom of the tree, that you want to dig to get to. Keep the Wealth mastery on its own and remove Greed and pickpocket instead. Insert a couple of useful masteries to compensate. This wouldn't be broken, because if you were to have a constant 20 gp10 you would trade power or survivability for it.
    The rest of the tree I like.
  • Red tree: Not anything to complain about, it's nice. I would like it if AP and AS where increased to 5 and 5% respectively, but it's by no means necessary. Still, 1% isn't a great deal since AS has gotten more rare and more expensive. Also, in my opinion the %Magic Penetration mastery could be tied to something else (at the top of the tree again), but this is also not necessary, it's just a personal bias.
    Other than these personal preferences, I find that the tree is fine.

Visual-related changes/additions:
  • Old item icons and some of the new item icons are thematically inconsistent.
  • HUD and new shop are thematically inconsistent with both: the fantasy of LoL and the rest of the client. The new HUD doesn't maintain the runic, medieval feeling of the game. It makes it look sci-fi. The only thing I like about it is the yellow bars under your skills. (I know lots of players agree on this and lots of others disagree. Could there be a way for us to chose between the two HUDs?)
  • The blue, red, and baron buffs on the PBE are not easily readable. As the buffs are now, when you see them you are like "oh, look that guy has something swirling around him!". As the buffs are on the PBE you are like "oh wait, that guy had a buff on him all this time?"
I don't want to complain but the buffs are not easily readable, and you keep saying that readability is one of the most important things to you.

I hope you take these into consideration. Even if you disagree from you Dev standpoint, I want to have some answers.
Hope I get to talk with the people overseeing these changes. Lots of my time went into composing this, I would feel bad if you guys ignored it..
Thanks!
tltr man can you plz sum up for us mortals to understand in a few words?

Penakoto

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA Kizaru View Post
You spelled 'moron' wrong, it doesn't have a T, an A or an L in it.

Borand

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FA Kizaru View Post
It's too difficult to sum all these up. Each and every thing I say cannot be grouped with another because of the difference in their content. The only factorization I can think of is the one that I write in the title (wall of feedback on items, masteries and visual changes).

Thanks for taking your time to post though.

Vialley

12-11-2012

New itemization has made the game fresh Made me chuckle , but everything else is on point.

Borand

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vialley View Post
New itemization has made the game fresh Made me chuckle , but everything else is on point.
Haha, thanks! <3
I understand it's long and difficult to read

FA Aokiji

12-12-2012

Might compose an answer later, but why not, this should raise awareness.

EDIT: Will be tracking this, consider this a bump

thumbnail9

12-14-2012

How is warmogs not better then it was? its 400ish gold cheaper, doesn't stack, and has HP/5. You actually get early game impact with it when you rush it now because it has so much starting hp.

FrothyKat

12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borand View Post
Man, I'm kinda tired of people ragging on the Sightstone like it's not good enough for some reason.

The health is good for supports because they are going to get resists elsewhere. Aegis/Bulwark, Chalice, boots, etc... The health gives a nice early boost when damage output from champions is relatively low, and then you amplify the effective health by adding resists as the game wears on. If it had more stats, it would cost more money to make and become far less gold efficient and harder for supports to purchase. The 700g is easy to get, shooting for a higher base cost is not really something I'd want.

You are not forced to leave the lane when the four charges expire. There are better players than me out there that might show me different ways, but if I rush Sightstone as my first item and I spend more than 6 minutes out in the lane without going back for some reason that early in the game I'm probably out of mana, low on health, or dead.

You can place as many wards as you want until you run out of charges. This doesn't make it bad, it makes it so that you have to think before dropping wards everywhere. If you drop a ward at dragon and then one at baron, you can drop another ward somewhere else once dragon's dead and still have the ward at baron up. If you need more than 2 wards on the map at a time, that's what Ruby Sightstone is for. If you need more than 3 wards on the map at a time, that's what your team is for. Someone else can buy wards, someone else can buy a Sightstone, and then the whole map lights up like a Christmas tree and you can see the enemy's every movement.

And just in case someone has or is going to debate that Heart of Gold had GP10 on it and Sightstone doesn't, this thing is insane for gold efficiency. It's 150 gold every 3 minutes (2 wards, 3 minutes), which equates to ~8.3 gold per 10, 3.3 more than Philo and 4.3 more than the new Kage's Pick! Just keep dropping those wards and it pays for itself before your first recharge.