Raising your Elo as a Jungler?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LaXGhosty

12-22-2012

I'm currently at 1330 ELO, highest I've been is 1360ish

I main as a jungle player, but I have quite a lot of jungle champs. I don't really play just one but if I had to say who I played the most it would be Maokai.

I've risen from around 1100-1300 Elo in the last few weeks and I'm starting to feel like I have less control over the outcomes of games, like I can't carry if I'm doing well.

My problems:
1) I find myself running around A LOT trying to gank, the ganks aren't always successful.

2) It's harder to gank lanes now that people are warding more (and oracles is kinda nerfed so no one gets it early-game anymore). I find I can't help lanes if they are losing because they're warded up (this is most common on bot lane)

3) I feel like I lose out on too much jungle CS if I gank, and if I jungle I feel I'm not helping my team out enough. As a jungler I get a lot of flak from people if they lose their lane, but I'm never sure when it is actually because I could have helped more, or whether it's because I helped enough and they just played badly/were massively outplayed.

4) I usually find myself under-levelled: 2 levels behind top/mid in the mid game and maybe 3, sometimes 4 levels behind in the very late game. I think this is because I spend too much time sharing exp in lanes and not farming cs... but I'm not sure... As a tank I need to keep up in levels or else I find myself just getting flat-out murdered in team fights and I can't perform my role properly.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

Etherimp

12-22-2012

Play a strong counter jungler.. This should address a lot of your issues.

(edit for more detail)

Play junglers who can gank early, and who have some kind of early CC and the ability to counter jungle. Examples would be Lee Sin, Jarvan IV, and Trundle.

If you can gank around level 2-3 bot lane should not have wards up in tri-bush yet if you're purple side.. Same with ganking top lane on the opposite side. Also, try taking the long way thru to Tri-bush on each side. A lot of people are lazy and will ward the gank bush, but they will not ward Tri-bush. Figure out where a lane likes to ward, and then take the route that they won't see. An example would be.. if they start warding Tri-bush, then if you hug the wall opposite dragon/baron and sneak into the Gank bush, they often won't see you. If they ward gank bush, come from Tri-bush. If they ward both, come through lane by having your teammates push and sneaking in behind tower.

The jungle is the only place where you can actually deny creeps/farm from your opponent. Use this to your advantage. Play a good duelist and keep timers on enemy blue/red. Keep track of the enemy jungler on the mini-map and clear out the side of the jungle they are not at. IE - if they are bot, take their top jungle.. Always leave at least 1 creep so that they get denied the gold.

If you're playing a good Duelist and you know they are low hp or behind in creeps/farm or you got an early kill, ping your team to help you gank them when you think they are taking red/blue or just in the jungle in general.

Ward. A lot. Get Oracles early if you know they are warding a lot to prevent CJing/Ganks. This will pay dividends, just don't die.

Keep in mind that while you may not be able to gank a lane, that does not mean you cannot win your own lane harder by dominating the enemy jungler. This also allows your lanes more peace of mind, as, if the enemy jungler comes to gank them generally they will be under leveled, under farmed, and generally weaker than everyone else.. Or they will be so far behind that they do not feel safe ganking at all, which essentially makes it 4v5. This is when you turn up the pressure and start getting really aggressive ganking the enemy team. They have no jungler to depend upon to Counter-Gank for them, so they are at your mercy.

This can throw your team into a snowball if your team is smart. 1300-1400 Range is the perfect place to start doing this, too.. Because generally your teammates are at least knowledgeable enough to help you out while the enemy team is not usually organized enough to counter-act it. If the enemy team see's their jungler die 1-2 times or fail their ganks or just generally lack lane presence, they will often start flaming the jungler, which reduces their teams morale and gives you an easier victory.

XxxLumberJackxxX

12-22-2012

Maokai can't carry.
If you want to carry play a 'carry' type?
Jax, Xin, J4, Mundo?

Judas Priest

12-22-2012

I'm having the same troubles when jungling. Every lane is warded and I can't gank, the team rages at me because I'm not ganking and when I go gank, I just waste my time (and cs) because enemies flee when they see me coming. I'm only successful when someone makes mistakes: when some lane over extends without wards, then I gank, my team scores a kill and everybody's happy. But it doesn't occur much and it probably never happens on high ELO.

I found a solution for this. Unfortunately you rely on your teammates to do this (it's not up to you). Your teammates must use a pink ward whenever they want you to gank. They don't need to use pink wards all time, only when they need a gank. They put the pink ward, destroy enemy's ward and then you gank effectively. But as I said, it's no up to you and it's very, very, very hard to convince someone to buy a fuking pink ward. Sometimes people don't even buy green ward, let alone pink wards! When you ask your teammates to buy pink ward for you to gank effectivelly, they won't usually buy it, then they will blame you for not ganking effectively or not ganking at all and sometimes they will report you, because they'll put the blame on you. So, this solution only works when you are playing with average players, it won't work with retarded ones.

TL;DR: the solution is pink ward, but your teammates must not be retarded (what's very unlikely in solo queue).

SweeneyTodd69

12-22-2012

I have been having alot of luck carrying with Hec. I think this is because he is a fairly faster jungler, has high sustain, good move speed so failed ganks dont hurt him as much, and of course that awesome ulti for teamfights. I think personally that being more creative with your ganks will also aid you. Try for lane ganks, try their tri bush. Hell I have even run through a turret before if all the above options are warded lol.