Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How is this Culture of Maining Not Considered a Problem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nick

12-10-2012

Quote:
BluntRhino:
Focusing on specific things gives you a larger chance of winning and increases your skill faster and more efficiently. This works for league and pretty much any trade related skill in real life as well. You could be a jack of all trades guy, or you could specialize in one thing and become the best at it.

I like one specific "playstyle" of champions. If champions fall outside this playstyle I usually don't play them.

This is simply not true. Most pros from other MOBAs never really mained a character. There is more inherent talent involved with the genre than people give it credit for. The "Jack of All Trades" argument only really applies if the different trades are very different. The skills required to play the different champions in LoL are not different enough to make relative mastery of most of them within reach.

Quote:
Cheapo5020:
I'm pretty much on the opposite side of the fence here. I specifically focus on a very small pool of champions that I regularly play. They're not necessarily popular, or overpowered, or underpowered.

My philosophy is that by focusing on a small pool of champions, I can master their mechanics more easily (also, what kinds of items I should build in what situations). After doing that, I can focus more on things like farming well, good decision making, map awareness, harassing the enemy well, setting up kills, where their jungler is and whether I can get away with counterjungling, and perhaps most importantly, how the enemy champion(s) work and how to play against them. By doing this, I don't have to worry about learning how to control each new champion and what I can and can't do with them. Basically, by removing as many variables as possible, I can isolate a few variables I want to work on and give them my limited attention.

I'm sure a lot of Starcraft 2 players here are familiar with that philosophy.

Although nice, these things are not inherently "fun." I find variety to be fun. You don't. I'm not sure you wouldn't find it fun if it weren't so punishing though. Also, whereas Starcraft only has 3 races, there's a lot of understanding to be had in LoL by actually playing a champion. Wouldn't you say those who have played with a champion know how to play against it best?

F3ls0ng

12-10-2012

Maining is a good thing (when its a small pool of champs). Nobody can pick up any champ in a particular role and be proficient. Its way too much to ask for people to be good at every role and a good number of champs on that role

Nick

12-10-2012

Quote:
F3ls0ng:
Maining is a good thing (when its a small pool of champs). Nobody can pick up any champ in a particular role and be proficient. Its way too much to ask for people to be good at every role and a good number of champs on that role

And yet in every other MOBA, the number of people who are the latter actually outstrip those who main a character?

LoL is the only MOBA where this is a problem, yet no one even acknowledges it as a problem...

F3ls0ng

12-10-2012

Quote:
Nick:
And yet in every other MOBA, the number of people who are the latter actually outstrip those who main a character?

LoL is the only MOBA where this is a problem, yet no one even acknowledges it as a problem...

Because other mobas have hard counters, it doesn't require skill with a champ to beat their hard counter.

NasusOfTheSands

12-10-2012

The champions I happened to pick as mains happened to become popular after I picked them.

Blitzcrank: Check. I picked him ever since I started playing this game - mind you, he was considered useless one year ago. I also use him as a jungler when I feel like goofing around and getting kills.

Soraka: Same as Blitzcrank, but she has always been a popular pick. The reasons that led me to main her were that I established a rather special connection to the champion and its concept. She led me to get the sustain support mindstate.
Sona: I needed another support, so I picked the music-caster minion for a few rounds. Turns out, she's gamebreaking.

Karthus: The first AP mid I tore things with. I learnt his matchups the hard way (Oh lord Akali) and I learnt everything I needed to learn as far as mid with him. Three months after I picked him, every pro started to pick him and I was like "FK YEAH".

Cho'gath: The only toplaner I can play semi-decently. I can also jungle him - though I prefer Nautilus or Nocturne.

Nautilus: Ever since he was released. Fell in love with his utility and never looked back when I needed a disruptive tank out of the jungle.

Nocturne: Assassin carry jungle with ganks of doom that can offspec as a bruiser? Me gusta.

Kassadin: I used to absolutely suck with him. Now I just suck. I use him as a quirky teamcomp counterpick.

Katarina: Same as Kassadin, except for the fact that they solved what made me suck with her when they remade her. She is my secondary AP mid - when I don't pick Karthus.

Non-popular picks that I main:

Karma: She's a gimmick but if you use her correctly she's a terror early and mid game.
Trundle: I learnt what I had to learn as far as jungling was concerned with him.

Picks that I'm working on maining:
- Jarvan IV: A terror out of the jungle.
- Akali: Similar mechanics to Katarina.
- Anivia: Ever since I got destroyed by her once in a far distant past...
- Nunu support: So far, it's been an easy journey with him.
- Leona support: VERY HARD journey with her. Too many ups and downs.
- Nami: Will probably become my all-purpose main support - when Soraka would be too vulnerable in a matchup.

=======

I can play a variety of champions but none I will play as well as I play my mains. I'm working on expanding my champion pool slowly but surely.

Berivik

12-10-2012

OP that is NOT how LoL is supposed to be. You need to have LoLking open on one tab so you can look up your teammates to see their states. Then if its blind pick you need to dodge/rage in lobby until there is a meta team. If its draft pick you look up counters to the champ you are probably going to be against, if you don't have one of those dodge. If you get to picking the champ find a guide for that champion and follow it exactly.

Cerulean Laser

12-10-2012

~A small champion pool will also increase the chance of them being banned or you raging because they were chose by your teammates.
~Plz Have a champion ready for any situation because certain champions do better than others when you are going for a certain strategy or team composition.

Nick

12-10-2012

Quote:
NasusOfTheSands:
I can play a variety of champions but none I will play as well as I play my mains. I'm working on expanding my champion pool slowly but surely.

A respectable number for sure, but it's still less than 1/5 of the pool. There are a lot of people who can play for a whole year without having touched 1/2 of the pool. It's just how most have been tempered to play and this thread alone shows the degree to which this culture has become the norm in League of Legends.

Take Dota 2 for example. On multiple instances I have seen competent players with hundreds of games played, but no hero played more than 20 times. Even if you look at the rankings of players who played the most, most of them have a very good spread of heroes played.

Quote:
Berivik:
OP that is NOT how LoL is supposed to be. You need to have LoLking open on one tab so you can look up your teammates to see their states. Then if its blind pick you need to dodge/rage in lobby until there is a meta team. If its draft pick you look up counters to the champ you are probably going to be against, if you don't have one of those dodge. If you get to picking the champ find a guide for that champion and follow it exactly.

Haha, this in a nutshell is what I hate. Very good way of putting it.

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

12-10-2012

Personally, I just advise my friends to pick what they like, have fun and screw everyone who complains about it.

They end up maining something anyway because that's their preferred playstyle, occasionally picking something entirely different for the novelty/variety of it.

If you want to be competitive, maining is actually pretty much a must. There's labor division, hence specialization is most efficient. Not necessarily fun, mind you, but efficient. And that's what competition is all about - efficiency. Slaves are very cost efficient workers and an advantage in competition. Not necessarily morally endorsed, though. No correlations here. Efficiency in general is something good, but at a price. Competition enforces efficiency. And thus, competitive gaming forces you to specialize and thus "main" something, if you want to be successful.

Luckily, nothing is gonna happen to you if you decide not to be competitive in games. So if you prefer variety or fun or whatever, go right ahead. Nobody is gonna chop your head off. But you most likely will never become a "pro" unless the game is shallow enough that specialization in everything is feasible.

F3ls0ng

12-10-2012

Quote:
Nick:
A respectable number for sure, but it's still less than 1/5 of the pool. There are a lot of people who can play for a whole year without having touched 1/2 of the pool. It's just how most have been tempered to play and this thread alone shows the degree to which this culture has become the norm in League of Legends.

Take Dota 2 for example. On multiple instances I have seen competent players with hundreds of games played, but no hero played more than 20 times. Even if you look at the rankings of players who played the most, most of them have a very good spread of heroes played.

Haha, this in a nutshell is what I hate. Very good way of putting it.

Then play dota? Dota has very simple counters for everything, it doesnt take much more than a decent understanding of champion abilities and items to play.
The are plenty of people that mained in Dota as well.
Mechanics between champs in LoL are very different is alot of cases. especially across archtypes. They take alot of practice to play with really well.

Ex. Lee Sin vs Faceless Void (derp). Faceless is super simple to play, Intelligence and game knowledge with determine the goods from the bads. But is also very easier counter, and completely useless (by simply building a butterfly, or being able to kite him)
lee Sin takes alot of practice to get used to this skill shots in relation to every single other champ in the game. As well as not being so simply countered.