Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Any tips on playing Tryndamere?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostDieM

10-12-2010

As the title states, I just bought him and getting to know his abilities etc. I find him to be 1 of the harder champs to play (mostly demonstrated by people failing miserably and feeding in games when playing trynd) so I would like some tips from people that have experience with him.

I have played a few practice games against bots and so far 1 against other people (in which I had a negative score but got to know his limits a bit better).
One question in particular I have is if it's worth it to get some life steal on him? Because I noticed farming in the jungle doesn't really do him any good until lvl 12 or so without it. While with some lifesteal you can rack up some gold and replenish your life so you can stay in the field longer thus increasing your gold income even more. Problem is, there aren't much items with lifesteal he benefits more from then the crit and/or damage items, except maybe bloodthirsters which is hugely expensive.

tl;dr: So any tips and/or strategy's on how to play him effectively would be welcome.

DrDragun

10-12-2010

- Get Cleanse (the counter to him is exhaust/cc)
- He's better in 3v3 than 5v5
- Infinity Edge is an obvious core on him, add survivability to taste. Some people like 2-3 Avarice Blades early game.
- And yes Bloodthirsters are amazing on him. Executioners Calling is acceptable for midgame if you want lifesteal and are struggling to farm.

Pete the Puma

10-12-2010

Hi Ghost,

I have >200 games played with Trynda and might have a few tips for you.

There are a lot of subtle points to playing Tryndamere well. It is key to realize that you are NOT invincible, and rushing in to hopeless situations relying on your ult is what most newbs do and that is probably the #1 reason why a lot of new Trynds feed.

Now I have a bit of an unorthodox approach where I jungle most of my games with Tryn. He is not really a good jungler but is a horrible laner and this is a reasonable way to get him steadily to lvl 6 when your potential really explodes.

My build is:

- Doran Blade (+120 HP and 6%lifesteal make a huge difference when jungling)
- Boots1
- Zeal (crit% and the movespeed that equates to around boots 2)
- Cloak of agility (18% crit and build to IE)
- Boots 2 (I get Zerkers, yes, zerkers most of the time)
- BF sword (This is the longest you have to go between buys, but also at this point with Zerkers, zeal, cloak and your ult you can gank squishies easily)
- Complete IE, your baby
- Vampiric scepter
- Complete Starks fervor
- second vampiric scepter

At this point the game should be near the end, and you are a crit machine. Your question about lifesteal is a good one, lifesteal in my opinion is one of the most important stats for Tryndamere! With this build (Zerekers, Zeal, IE, Starks, Vampscepter) you should be hitting around 1,6 times/second for 600-900 crits. 30% lifesteal is the difference between blowing your ult and killing 1-2 enemies then dying versus blowing your ult and healing for 2k HP while you crit all their faces off!

1.6 crits per second for ~700hp per crit times 6 seconds (ult) with 32% lifesteal = 2.1K HP

Now if the game goes any longer you should upgrade Zeal to Phatom Dancer and second vamp scepter to Bloodthirster.

Final build

IE
Starks
Zerkers (no laughing)
Phatom dancer
Bloodthirster

If you ever get to this point, which takes a pretty long game, you will become completely addicted to Tryndamere. You are critting for 1k close to 1.9 times per second with 45% lifesteal. You can literally 1 vs 4 people with some support.

A few general tips:

- Practice spinning through walls, this is a great escape mechanism after you have ulted and dished out your damage.
- Become a pro at consuming your bloodrage stacks at 5.9 seconds into your ult, this will negate most dots including ignite which good players will place on you while you ult. If it was placed very late during your ult you might be toast anyway, unless you already have IE/starks and can just lifesteal away.
- Until you get a vamp scepter always carry a potion for after/during ult
- If the situation seems hopeless in a team fight after you have ulted just stay and fight like a man, dealing significant damage although you might not get the kill and will most probably die. This might make the difference between your team staying and finishing them off versus everyone running and getting hunted down like dogs. Also if you have significant lifesteal you might be surprised at some situations you will survive.
- Always use mocking shout at the beginning of fights. You will use it so much for chasing and the slow that it's easy to forget it is also a 4 second AD debuff, and can make a huge difference. At level 18 it debuff for 100AD for 4 seconds! you can render some chars that have high AS but low AD useless!

Good luck!

TheEars

10-12-2010

On the Zerker boots issue.
I'm one of those people that hate when I see others get them. Really? You're gaining a tiny bit of attack speed instead of dodge, move-speed or the all mighty merc treads???

But Trynda is one of the few champs that I see benefiting from them. The fact is that Tryna is not dependant on survivability from the normal means (armour, etc), but life steal. The extra hit during an ulti means alot when it could be for 900 damage...

The above poster isn't exactly how I play him, but a very good build nonetheless.

The problem is that Tryndamere (though heavily item dependent) is more about play style than items. Entering team fights at the right time, saving your ulti, how to tower dive, and last hitting minions. Check youtube for some clips on that, as that is heavily important.

GhostDieM

10-12-2010

Thx for the tips guys, been struggling with him so far, build him mostly crit and damage, was thinking about lifesteal but that normally doesn't really work on other champs but I'm deff going to try that. I'm curious as to what build you would use then ears. Also isn't a vamp scepter as starter item better then Doran's blade? Since you can build that out later and 120 hp doesn't mean much on him anyway?

Pete the Puma

10-12-2010

Yeah i knew the question of the zerkers was going to come up. I will sometimes get merc threads if the opposing team in insanely heavy on CC, but most of my survivability comes from high AS and lifesteal, so I favor 25% AS versus shorter stuns/taunts/snares.

@GhostdieM You are right in that the vamp scpeter is not a dead end item as opposed to Doran's blade, but the 120 HP at low level getting you from 500 to 620ish HP at level one is huge for jungling. At higher levels the 120hp does not mean much at all and I usually sell the blade when I buy my BF or vamp scepter. I suggest you try both in a practice game, you will see the Blade is highly superior. If I'm laning i will usually start with the 8% crit gloves that build into zeal, but for jungling the balde is the way to go.

Try it out and let me know!

P

Pete the Puma

10-12-2010

read this:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=116863

Probably the best Tryn guide out there.

P.

MeditationError

10-12-2010

Also, be aware of his team potential. At level 6, you can tank a tower for > 6 seconds, and you've got a reasonable slow, but you don't have the dps to guarantee the kills yet, so use your ult to tank the tower for a teammate or two to get the kill(s), and then get out alive, heal up, and help push the tower down.

Ham summons ham

10-13-2010

get some ap runes, every time he gets 1 bloodlust stack press q. anything more than a stack would mean you yield lesser returns. ap runes work slightly well in early game, and don't matter so much in late game