how does thornmail work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kentiao

03-29-2012

lets say i have 30% life steal, but im still killing myself. why?

NineballCirno

03-29-2012

Life steal is 30% of damage post mitigation. Thornmail deals 30% of unmitigated damage.

If your auto-attack deals 300 damage and the thornmail user has 200 armor, your attack will deal 100 damage to the target. 30% life steal then results you in healing for 30 health.

Thornmail would deal 30% of 300, or 90 damage. This 90 damage is reduced by magic resist, resulting in 69 damage for a base MR of 30.

Kentiao

03-29-2012

That doesent seem very fair to me.

edit, i had a last whisper btw

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

03-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentiao View Post
That doesent seem very fair to me.
That's probably because you assume Lifesteal is the counter to Thornmail, when in fact the opposite is true.

WonderBoy55

03-29-2012

If thornmail applied 30% of post-mitigated damage, it would have terrible synergy with itself. It would mean that the more armor you have, the less damage it would do, essentially punishing the player for getting armor.

3mptylord

03-29-2012

Yeah, what WonderBoy said. If it reflected damage after armor, then its own armor would reduce the damage it deals...

A good counter to Thornmail is Bloodthirstier + Maw of Malmortius + Last Whisper. And that is a good build. I play my Tryndamere sleeper OP... I act like a noob all of early game, and then when I finally arrive to the party I've already counter Thornmail before they buy it. And even if I do well early game, I get the same build. It's a noobtrap to focus entirely on damage just because you're red.

McC1oud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2012

Also magic resist

DoS BoSS

03-29-2012

tanky dps do great vs it since most their dmg results in both physical, their own ad, and magical, from the items wits end and madred's bloodrazer.

not only that TDPS have a ton of utilities; such as frozen mallet, wriggles -> blood thirster, maw of malmortius, force of nature, spirit visage, "atmog", banshee's veil, guardian angel.

thornmail is mostly for a team that is AD dominating without much defense. i used to think picking up 2 bloodthirsters would solve my problem when i play AD carry also... but nope, i still melt when hitting them =C

Terror96

10-19-2012

so then does a vamp scepter steal 10% of total ad every hit,or 10% of actual damage dealt?

Muspelheim SN

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror96 View Post
so then does a vamp scepter steal 10% of total ad every hit,or 10% of actual damage dealt?
10% of the actual damage dealt by auto-attacks and abilities that modify auto-attacks and deal physical damage (ex lifesteal works on Nasus's Siphoning Strike).