How is this Culture of Maining Not Considered a Problem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nick

12-10-2012

We've all heard it before:

I'm tired of seeing X champions
I'm tired of playing against the same lineup
Have you played that champ much?

When starting the game, what is the standard advice? Stick to easy champs. What does this do? It squanders the ONLY opportunity to really try out every champ without feeling bad about it. Ideally, when you are a new player, you should be welcome to try out a new champ with people also trying out champs for the first or second time.

What is it instead? A whole bunch of games where everyone has already latched onto a small pool of familiar champs. Often this pool gets disrupted only when you get destroyed or see someone get destroyed with another champ. When as a new player, you decide to jump in with something new, you are met with disappointment all too often.

But that's just the start. Eventually you adapt to the culture. You start "maining" champions too. Maybe you get a 50% win rate, maybe you get a higher winrate. Regardless, you have joined the maining culture. What's wrong with this general trend of every single player having already laid out the small pool of champs they will play? More often than not, the ones they have chosen will be the "best in class." When something is powerful, you will see it ALL THE TIME. If you're only going to use a few of the champs, might as well be the best ones right?

So much of the game's potential is lost with the prevalence of this culture within LoL. A vast number of players have yet to play every champion, let alone play them more than once, despite having hundreds of games played. The idea of having someone who is trying something out in your game, is immediately rejected and met with hostility. The champions you play against start becoming more repetitious. All of this begins at the start.

What can we do?

• Stop telling your friends to main a champ to start with. Encourage them to try out everything and deal with the failures that come with it.
  • Don't flame when someone says they are trying something. These people would probably succeed more the general attitude didn't discourage asking for advice so much.
  • Start playing a larger pool of champs yourself. Your MMR may drop slightly, but who cares if you're a casual player? The ability to consistently have fun playing a large variety of champions is far more valuable than playing the same stuff over and over again against people marginally better.

What can Riot do?
  • Extend the free champion pool. There are twice as many champions as there were at launch, but the free champion pool is just as tiny.
  • More importantly, make a dynamic champion pool. There should be a part of the champion pool that changes more often than once a week. The more it changes, the better.
  • Give us a true random. Allow us to reveal or lock in a single champion from the ENTIRE pool every game. Especially for a new player, if you reveal a very interesting looking champion for the "true random" you would definitely try it out instead of sticking to one champ.
  • Make AR a true random. I don't see this as too much a problem. What the point of an All Random mode if in the end you're only randoming between champs that you've played a billion times already?
  • Reward those who choose randomly. The point is to build the culture. Have it possible to Lock In a random champion for a bonus 35/75 gold so long as no more than 2 of your allies have already locked in. The amount is not game breaking, but it greatly evens out the fact that you probably will not be as extremely skilled with the champ you get. Composition balancing is still possible by those who are picking last.

Edit: It's not so much that maining is inherently bad, I just sincerely believe that more people are maining champions than there are people who have an inherent disposition to do so. Meanwhile LoL actively represses those who DO want to be able to play everything, and has built a community over the assumption that maining a small pool of champs is the way to do things. It's the only MOBA that is like this, and no other MOBA has imbalanced champions or items shamelessly abused as often.

Digivolve

12-10-2012

I just play what fits best with my team, that being said its normally something thats picked a lot because its versitile or just strong in general.

Nick

12-10-2012

My problem is that this is not conceived as a problem.

I feel like LoL has essentially staled itself for the casual player like myself by molding its players to always pick these powerful and versatile champions. This is a problem far more prevalent in LoL than in any other MOBA.

CynicalGiant

12-10-2012

Focusing on specific things gives you a larger chance of winning and increases your skill faster and more efficiently. This works for league and pretty much any trade related skill in real life as well. You could be a jack of all trades guy, or you could specialize in one thing and become the best at it.

I like one specific "playstyle" of champions. If champions fall outside this playstyle I usually don't play them.

Cheap0

12-10-2012

I'm pretty much on the opposite side of the fence here. I specifically focus on a very small pool of champions that I regularly play. They're not necessarily popular, or overpowered, or underpowered.

My philosophy is that by focusing on a small pool of champions, I can master their mechanics more easily (also, what kinds of items I should build in what situations). After doing that, I can focus more on things like farming well, good decision making, map awareness, harassing the enemy well, setting up kills, where their jungler is and whether I can get away with counterjungling, and perhaps most importantly, how the enemy champion(s) work and how to play against them. By doing this, I don't have to worry about learning how to control each new champion and what I can and can't do with them. Basically, by removing as many variables as possible, I can isolate a few variables I want to work on and give them my limited attention.

I'm sure a lot of Starcraft 2 players here are familiar with that philosophy.

Digivolve

12-10-2012

well I just played homegaurd gank rammus mid with a lot of success so I guess in normals thats not always true for me.

Smurfy113

12-10-2012

I've always said there is three stages to skill in LoL. First, you are just terrible. Second, you are good with a few champions. Third, you are just good at the game and can play any role/champion effectively.

Nick

12-10-2012

The larger problem is not only the fact that you cannot freely enjoy Riot's large pool of champions, it's that the community at large does not even try to.

These are the people you play against, and sub sequentially you are forced to play against variations of the same champs over and over. Yea they have different names, but are you really changing how you have to play against them from game to game?

windwhispers

12-10-2012

Just "main" Lee Sin, Diana, Darius for free wins

GG Riot balance team, hope they sold a lot of skins

Erukyun

12-10-2012

focusing on a small champion pool increases your chances of winning