Support items (wards)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silkdawn

12-09-2012

A normal ward goes for 75, the cheapest ward package goes for 700. You really need to make ~4-5 trips back to shop to make it worth it.

You cant buy the package immediatly. Supports are still hard pressed for money, so you prolly cant afford this before at least the first shoes upgrade and a money making item. So youre still wasting a lot of money on your way there buying regular wards.

By the time you properly can buy the nice package, youre most likely getting out of the laning phase and some of its use isnt relevant anymore, I dont say all, but most of it. Early gank protection is still more valuable.

The idea of that ward item is very admirable Riot, but it has a huge flaw in it. Especially if you wanted to make it easier on support.

In short, 700 money is a huge deal for a supporter early on when this item would be most needed, the sacrifice is to great to get it instead of normal wards. Sorry, but this item is a waste imo.

HuoMao

12-10-2012

Buy regular wards for early gank protection. Buy Sightstone for late game knowledge.

xTc4

12-10-2012

^
The sightstone is considered 7g per 10 according to Xpecial's commentary vid on supports.
I would recommend rushing a philo then sightstone.

HoneyBunchsONope

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

I see no problem with this item at all especially since philo stone has been reduced by 100 gold. I don't think I've played a game where i was support and couldn't get one before the laning phase was over. Also don't forget to include the health it gives you on top of the wards. Also the pricing on it is fine. It does not take 4-5 backs to get it's value.
700 gold = ~10 wards. 4 wards per back means 3 trips and you're already got more than it's value

EDIT: +1 to what xTc4 said. Rushing a sightstone after philo has always been my method as support

henchdog

12-10-2012

I admit before S3 came in I shared your concern about a front load ward investment.

However what I have found works in certain games is i take all the extra gold runes and talents and just start with my biscuit and explorers ward. Then drop down your ward and pop back as soon as you hit 700. My AD carry can cope without me for a wave and the little bit of extra xp he gets from soloing gives him the edge. Of course this isnt always the best thing to do but with a carry I know it works best.

(I just wish ruby sightstone was a slightly better upgrade)