Tips on Jayce?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PaulyT333

03-10-2013

I got Jayce with RP and I can't seem to play him well. I get ate up because I can't burst enough early game, and I don't know which form to stay in. Any help?

X4N4T05

03-10-2013

Well, my first concern is you mentioned only using one form. I'd assume you are solo top, in which you wan to farm minions with your ranged form, and harass by putting down an acceleration gate, and firing a Q-Ball through it (enhanced range, damage). Im a little surprised your having troubles bursting, so i'll give you the basic combo:
Ranged Form:E-Q
Switch to melee
Melee: Q-E-W

Remember, your cooldowns are different for each form. You can combo with your ranged form, switch to melee, jump in there and do your damage, and then use your E to either disengage the enemy, or knock them further from the safety of their turret. Use your ranged to bully your opponent, and then if they try and fight you, switch to melee and beat their face in with a hammer. If you start to lose the fight, knock them back, change form to ranged, and drop a gate for movespeed, once through, line up a quick empowered Q-Ball for more damage.

Also try reading a real guide, im just a 1300 elo player whos had fair success with the champion, someon might hav a better strategy than me

Lethadind

03-10-2013

If you can get the hang of it and have quick hands, throwing your Q-ball down, and THEN dropping the gate ahead of it (during it's projection) makes it much harder to dodge. It's a little harder to get the hang of, but once you have it down it'll help as well.

Jayce is a complicated champion, don't worry if you don't get him down within the first few times playing him. If you're solo top, autoattack them every time they come in range (just one poke) to punish them for csing. This slowly eats away at their health and allows you further punish them by bursting them. Jayce has one of the strongest (though very mana consuming as it requires a minimum of 4 spells) bursts in the game for a bruiser, you just have to get the hang of it. Ranged form QE (or EQ if you can't get the combo down), they will likely start running from you, run through your gate and chase after them, Q to them, walk in front of them (they'll be slowed), and E them back into your minions, make sure you get your autoattacks off in each form as ranged form drops their resistances, and hammer form does extra damage. If they try to run away you can probably kill them at this point, just switch back to ranged form, QE/EQ, chase after them, ignite, and autoattack them until you can switch back to hammer form and QE them again.

E in hammer form does % of max health damage, at rank 5 it does 20% of their health (minus resistances). Therefore if you hit them with this twice it'll take out at least half their health (because it does base damage as well), and adding all your other punishments they should be nearly dead by the time you can E them twice.

Just practice a bit more with him, get the hang of his abilities. Honestly a LOT of people, both pros and not-so-pros only max Q and E on him, and don't even bother with W and R until after level 10. Getting rank 5 of Q and E at level 10 gives you incredible bullying power, as his W doesn't really do much in either form in terms of damage (how often are they going to sit there and let you autoattack them three times?), and his R is nice, but you get more by maxing his E until you actually need to start bruising, in which case the resistances come in handy in hammer form.

Javionne

03-11-2013

As mentioned before, Jayce is a hard champ to master. The trick is to not spam abilities and waste mana; his mana costs are insane and a full rotation will leave you OoM early game. You generally want to poke using his E+Q combo in ranged form; if they try to come in to harass, switch to hammer from and use his Q+E combo to knock them away.

I disagree with not putting a point into W until level 10; you're missing out on additional damage and the mana sustain in Hammer form if you don't get at least 1 point in it before then. I would max it out last however; his Q and E in both forms provide a lot more damage and utility.

In his build, you want to get some kind of defensive item; Jayce is still mostly a bruiser and needs defenses to use his melee form effectively. I'd recommend Mercs/Tabi and/or Frozen Heart as your defensive items; any more than that and you're gimping his damage potential. Hexdrinker is also a good choice if you're going against heavy AP.

As far as damage is concerned, Bloodthrister/Sanguine and Black Cleaver is a must; Jayce has no innate health sustain. Triforce is decent on him; I don't feel the cost is worth it though. If you autoattack often with him, the proc does give you a great boost in damage.

Dooboosoda

03-13-2013

Hi. I have been playing Jayce a lot recently and here's my two cents.

Try this for about 5-6 games and you will start winning most of your games or at least win hard on your lane.

Lane :

mid lane. start playing a lot and you will see why.

Item build order

tear of goddess - brutalizer - boots of ionia - bloodthirster - last whisper - warmog / guardian angel / frozen heart - black cleaver.

You may upgrade into black cleaver before getting 6th item if you are confident with your play.

how to level skill

qeqeqeqeqe wwwww rrr

simple eh? you will not use w in lane. master q and e first. treat q and e as the same skill.

Jayce can go top, mid, or bottom lane. I prefer to use him for mid and mid only since he's just a gangster in the mid lane.

If you try poking the opponent using q + e combo, make sure you use q first then place e as close to jayce as possible. If you do this, not many people will be able to dodge q+e poke.

Here's the combo during lane phase.

cannon form -> q -> place the gate as close to you as possible -> as q travels, switch to hammer form and rush forward -> hammer form q -> auto attack once -> ignite -> keep hitting then hammer form e. -> switch to cannon form -> q & e to kill.

You always want to stay in cannon form. Kill minions with cs form and poke with cannon form.

Hammer form is used for two purposes. One, when enemy jungler ganks you and you want him to go away, you press e.

Two, you are chasing an enemy who's about to run. You use hammer form q to slow him down then knock him off with e after you hit few times. Quickly switch back to cannon mode and put in q-e combo. Don't use w when you're chasing an enemy. q-e-r-q-e-r. Repeat this and no one can escape from jayce.

There are lotta talks on trinity force. Is it good? It is bad? Personally, I've been trying different builds and what does the most damage at the end of the game from the stats is the build I listed above.

If you venture your way out to get triforce or infinity edge, you will suffer from a huge deal loss in mid game and you won't be able to carry as you should.

Team fight phase :

Once you get your muramana, your cannon form w will start to hurt a lot.
Make sure you poke enemy mid laner and adc few times before you engage. Stay in your cannon form during the entire fight and press w constantly as you deal damage and use q and e as a single combo spell. only reason you would want to switch to hammer form is to use e. Don't use hammer form q to jump into the middle of the battle. It is the quickest way to get yourself killed. Stay with your adc and play like an adc. q-e, then w and shoot, then get out for a second or two, jump back in with w. If your bottom lane did not feed the opponent adc, at 25 -30 minute mark, your cannon form w should be able to kill or nearly kill their adc. Once there are 2-3 enemies left, then you can start putting in cannon form - hammer form combo (q-e-w-r then hammer - q&w - hit- hit - e - r - repeat).

Jayce is the strongest once you have your bloodthirster out. That's when you start roaming and utilize your cannon form q-e for ganking. Use q-e form to damage bot lane adc or support, then help your allies chase them with your e. Placement of e is very important.

Dooboosoda

03-13-2013

Make sure to get AD runes on red and quintessential, fixed MR for blue, and armor for yellow.

OpTiKzer0

03-13-2013

If you don't smartcast start doing it, it'll help a lot with Jayce! Makes it easier to land your E-Q combo in cannon stance

Nishaven90

03-13-2013

Try maxing Q>W>E.

USAupinher

03-14-2013

Ok ive played jayce a bit here is my two cents. you gotta get them a few times with the super shot at least 1 time. If you can connect 2 times you can typically kill them (in lane phase). His ranged mode does give you some distance but it is short and you will be in range for their abilities.

If they come in to harass you harass back by jumping on them and hitting them away. I found people like jax and panth could come in and smoke me because i stayed ranged mode and just run away when they leaped on me. I returned and tried to land the E,Q power shot. Trust me if you can do those successfully they will have a hard time with you

The Magus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-14-2013

I think Doobs has the best advice so far, though I usually only take Jayce when I'm top lane. From my experience Trinity is just...a terrible item to take on Jayce. Tear into Brutalizer, follow up with damage and then some survival has served me much better than any form of rushing a Trinity Force, both in early-mid game and late. Jayce isn't completely ravenous for mana, but given that you tend to cast 2 spells just for a nuke harass, and up to 6 for a good exchange, a tear builds fast and you need the mana for that kind of use. This makes Manamune(very quickly becoming a Muramana) pretty tempting too, but it's a bit based on matchup whether it's worth getting it before a bloodthirster.

Jayce is an excellent split pusher too, especially if you were top with teleport. He has a top notch clear and good ability to escape, so he's a good character to put pressure on a lane then teleport into a teamfight.