Season 3 Strangeness

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BarbarousFungus

12-09-2012

Is anyone somewhat confused by some of the Season 3 changes?

Here are a couple things which struck me as being odd:
1. Removal of Force of Nature: It's now much more difficult to stack Magic Resist, Runic Bulwark does provide 60 MR, but that's still a significant deal less and it's over all a worse item because the regeneration isn't as good and the movement buff is gone. For the champs that actually used FoN like Hecarim and Singed it makes a pretty poor substitute.
2. Hunter's Machete: This is good for junglers, but often pretty much necessary and it has no applicability outside of the jungle. Hecarim can no longer open boots/3 health pots because the jungle is more difficult, which means slower ganks, and if you don't build the Machete into a Madred's it's pretty much a useless item; the iron sword at least gave you 10 attack damage which could help fighting champions as well.
3. Universal gold/per second increase; less gold from creeps: This seems like a bad idea all round. I can think of two reasons Riot decided to do this. #1 Makes the game less appealing for lower level players who can't farm effectively. #2 Lets support champs keep up.

In either case it seems like a bad decision. If #1 is true then it's bad because it de-incentivises farming and is less rewarding to higher skill players which is the exact opposite of what you want to promote. If #2 is true it just seems odd, given that they removed Heart of Gold. Also, I feel that universal changes to the core mechanics are generally bad in a game like this. Shouldn't there be a goal towards making unique changes to the game in order to balance it.

For example: Adding an extra two creeps in with each wave which are very easy to kill. This provides an incentive for high level and low level players. It ensures low level players are still picking up at least a couple of creep kills per wave, and puts extra pressure on high level players to get that much extra gold.

Anything else?

Flagrock

12-09-2012

Only odd change I found was why did they take away Meki Pendant and Regrowth Pendant? I don't understand that. I'm also a bit sad with Riot for not adding any good MR items for NON MANA USERS. FoN was the go to item for people with no mana or energy for a worth while item with MR so you didn't lose stats. Now it's gone and there is nothing to fill it's place that's ANYWHERE close.

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2012

there's a reason why liandry's, DFG, the late madred's, and BotRK all did magic damage.....you're flat out not supposed to have as much

BarbarousFungus

12-09-2012

Why aren't we supposed to have that much Magic Resist? There are plenty of armour items which give just as much or more armour.

The Runic Bulwark gives a similar level of magic resist (though still significantly lower at 60MR) but its other attributes are quite weak, especially for a bruiser/jungler. It seems more geared towards supports due to the aura.

Edit: If the issue is with AP Carries having difficulty late game due to magic resist, then removing an otherwise excellent item is a very artificial way to balance the game.

PrismMage

12-09-2012

the damn thing made it so mage top was impossibel is why do you realzie hwo useless that item made aps against bruisers top or against tanks in any phase of the game.

adc

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbarousFungus View Post
Why aren't we supposed to have that much Magic Resist? There are plenty of armour items which give just as much or more armour.

The Runic Bulwark gives a similar level of magic resist (though still significantly lower at 60MR) but its other attributes are quite weak, especially for a bruiser/jungler. It seems more geared towards supports due to the aura.

Edit: If the issue is with AP Carries having difficulty late game due to magic resist, then removing an otherwise excellent item is a very artificial way to balance the game.
Can you think of a better way to balance it? AP carries didn't do damage late game because it was so easy to build a ton of magic resistance. So there are two ways that come to mind for me:

1. Buff AP carries until they can hurt tanks reliably late game.

This brings up the problem of them being utterly broken towards everything else.

2. Nerf tanks down until AP carries can reliably hurt them late game.

This brings up.. no problems beyond tanks not being quite as tanky?

owenstarkiller

12-09-2012

I agree with the change to farm. I'm hardly a brilliant player, but this will reward bad play.

BarbarousFungus

12-12-2012

Yeah, it helps equalize gold between high and low levels, but in a very artificial way. It doesn't actually stem from inherent game mechanics, and it doesn't help anyone improve.

It's like if you had a big soccer game with some good players, and some bad players. And you suddenly said that "to make this game more fair, you can use your hands". Well suddenly there's less incentive for the good soccer players to kick the ball, and less incentive for bad players to improve their game.

See what I mean about universal game changes like this being bad? Unless the change in difficulty stems from an inherent game mechanics (like creep killing) all it does is makes the game less unique and more boring.

OneDeadPixel

12-12-2012

My biggest issue was removing FoN and nerfing Warmugs. Nerfing warmugs i can live with, as it was TOO STRONK (stackable 30 HP5, and 1000 health) to begin with, but Force of Nature was the go to MR item for pretty much every tanky bruiser, like Voli, Singed, and Mundo. The real problem though is that they didnt replace it with anything near as good in terms of passives or MR, that isnt built for an AP carry.

In short riot as slain the mighty meta golem, forcing a lot of top laners to either change their Voli build, or pick a glass cannon like Riven.

There are also no gp5 items for non-casters since the removal of Heart of Gold, which ****s on a few champs as well.

Excrempus

12-12-2012

Sightstone is so much better than HoG imo free wards you don't have to buy wards other than pinks to make sure an objective is clear of them or so.
Sightstone pays for itself a lot faster than HoG did when you back you you get 2-4 wards depending on how many you placed. Which is a 150-300 gold over that span HoG over a 6 minute span only grossed only 180 gold after 6 minutes.
This means you don't have to spend money on ward's just sell it later on for a diffent item when the support is the main one warding and can keep up with it.