{Guide} Twitch, Slayer of all, Gold bonus to none!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blux

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-11-2010

First let me start off by saying that I played Twitch long before he got the initial range and speed nerf to his ultimate.

The rat has come a long way from being able to build only AD/Crit items and burst out pentakills in a matter of seconds to the Twitch that we have today.

I have ~100 games played as Twitch, this may not seems like much compared to some other peoples stats for him but I think its enough to say that I know how he works :P

Now lets get down to the nitty gritty.

Summoner Spells

Flash - Get out of fail free. Also good when used offensively to catch those runners, and for quickly repositioning your ultimate in teamfights. A must have.

Exhaust - This lets you stand toe to toe with even the best of the best of other physical carries. With the lifesteal and the HP in my build and this you are unkillable in a 1v1 situation against another carry, you may even be able to 1v2 with smart usage of exhaust.

Cleanse - Another great choice, before you make it to Frozen Mallet, if you get stunned you will usually die. This reduces the chance of that slightly. Also great for getting rid of mushroom debuffs/Nidalee's revealing trap debuff.

Runes
Red -- Armor Penetration
Yellow -- Mp5/lvl or Dodge
Blue -- Flat Cooldown Reduction or a mix of Magic Resist per level and Flat Magic Resist
Quints -- Armor Penetration or Flat Health

Runes depend on playstyle. Dodge yellows are great when learning Twitch when combined with the 9/21/0 Masteries setup, otherwise the Mp5/lvls are a must have for harassing with Expunge.

Magic resistance Glyphs are great for soaking up some more of that caster burst that usually gets thrown at you late game.

Flat health Quints give you even more surivability, but I think you make too big of a sacrifice by not going with the Armor Penetration, besides my build gets you all the survivability you need.

Masteries
can go several ways depending on your preferences.

21/0/9 -- Pretty standard DPS build here.

21/9/0 -- Nimbleness goes great with your Dodge Seals. This is a build to use against an auto attack heavy team

9/21/0 -- More of a tanky build that picks up all the Attack speed increasing masteries to still give you that umph that you are trading for survivability. I rarely use this build, its good for starting out until you learn proper positioning and how Twitch plays.

Skill Order
1)E
2)Q
3)E
4)Q
5W
6)R

R>E>Q>W

Grabbing expunge early can net you those kills that would have gotten away had you gotten stealth at 1. Level 2 Stealth is enough to last you until you have Expunge maxed out for the big burst.

Item Build
1)Doran's Shield. This helps you not be so squishy early on, and gives you a little HP Regen when you are stealthing around, it lets you lane longer and keeps you from getting 2 shotted early on.

2)Avarice Blade. The crit and the passive gold gain help you out in the long run. You want to go back to buy this as soon as possible. Never buy more than one... You aren't GP or Trynd

3)Boots of choice. Merc treads if the other team is CC heavy, Zerker Greaves otherwise

4)Vampiric Scepter. I usually try to grab this with my boots. This is what keeps you laning longer and outlasting your opponents in those 1v1s and the 2v1s where you get focused

5)Bloodthirster. Whats not to like? If you get it fed all the way +100 AD and a hefty chunk of lifesteal.

6)Youmuu's Ghostblade. Crit, CDR, ArPen! Whats not to like? The active is like a mini ult without the AoE. The CD is short enough that you can use it for 1v1/2v1s if you need to save your ult or if its on CD.

7)Frozen Mallet. HP, AD, Passive Slowing Effect. Gonna catch some flak for this... I know it.. I'll explain at the bottom

8) After this its purely up to you, more survivability if you absolutely need it, or work your way to Black Cleaver/Infinity Edge, starting with the Cloak of Agility.

Other items/build orders to consider:

Picking up the Giants Belt for Frozen Mallet after Boots 1 and Avarice can give you that extra sustainability in teamfights if the other team is very bursty and you are the target.

As pointed out below, and something I forgot to mention, Twitch is one of the best Black Cleaver debuff stackers in the game due to his AoE ultimate. It might be worth grabbing this instead of Bloodthirster if the other team has built 1 armor item but isn't really stacking it on. I would still suggest the Vampiric Scepter early on for the lifesteal it gives.

With Black Cleaver, Runes and Masteries, you should be reducing most targets, even those with a little armor, to 0 armor/Negative armor (if Cleaver works that way, it is reduction correct?)

Explanation of Frozen Mallet and Youmuu's Ghostblade.

Most people think that Frozen Mallet is terrible on Twitch due to the fact that he has a build in slow. Now before you guys start smashing on the downvote button give me a minute to explain.

Having Frozen Mallet allows you to save your mana pool for expunge in teamfights if you don't have enough for a slow and Expunge. The HP from this item allows you to 1v1 with even less chance of dying. Plus everyone knows that Twitch is an aggro drawing machine. 95% of the time in teamfights as soon as you appear you are going to get targeted, this 700 HP when coupled with Flash and Exhaust can make the difference between a Pentakill and giving up your precious kill spree bounty to the enemy teams carry.

Frozen Mallet also has dual usage, it allows you to save your slow for escaping. If you turn around and plink the carry that is on your tail, he gets slowed by Frozen Mallet and then before your poison wears off you pop him with your slow. This coupled with Ghostblade will almost make sure you get away or atleast out of range to get back into stealth.

As I pointed out with Frozen Mallet. Ghostblade makes for great chasing ability, a mini ult when your real ultimate is on CD and a wonderful escape mechanism which Twitch is in dire need of.

Other tips to remember
Attack speed is nearly useless on Twitch, he can almost cap out with just his ultimate and the attack speed buff when leaving stealth. If you have a melee dps on your team with Starks then you will be maxed.

Otherwise Red pot and Green pot are your friends. Red pot gives you almost +1k HP with Frozen Mallet and the damage increase. Green pot gives you much needed crit and the attack speed you will be lacking if there is no Starks on your team.

You should always keep an Oracles on. Spotting enemy wards in the jungle and at Baron/Dragon will allow you to either avoid ganks completely or set up great ganks by baiting the other team to one of these objectives, since you know they are watching you.

Why not just use Red Buff and build more DPS instead of Frozen Mallet?

As I pointed out the survivability bonus and dual purposes of Frozen Mallet make it a must have item in my opinion. And besides, how many games have you been in where no one else on your team would make good use of Red buff?? Twitch is the main focus in teamfights so you should prefer the HP anyways.

I hope you guys enjoyed my Twitch build and give it a try!

Thanks,
Blux

Lorifel

10-12-2010

Nice guide! Can you plz comment on the following:

- A couple of Doran's Blades as your first items for survivability, easier last hitting and a bit of lifesteal
- Boots of Mobility for better, errr... mobility
- A simple Giant's Belt instead of Frozen Mallet (about 60% as much HP for 30% cost)

Resilga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2010

+1 for no malady.
Some people swear by mobility so they can quickly adjust to the dynamic movement of a teamfight while the player is stealthed.

Is this a bad idea to you or simply not your style?

How often do you find yourself getting infinity edge? Do you ever get a phantom dancer, black cleaver or another blood thirster?

SmecssRaege

10-12-2010

no black cleaver (twitch is probably the single best cleaver-effect stacker in the game with his insane ASPD and ulti) makes me sad :-( but it's your build/guide, so all the power to you :-)

Blux

10-12-2010

Quote:
Lorifel:
Nice guide! Can you plz comment on the following:

- A couple of Doran's Blades as your first items for survivability, easier last hitting and a bit of lifesteal
- Boots of Mobility for better, errr... mobility
- A simple Giant's Belt instead of Frozen Mallet (about 60% as much HP for 30% cost)
This built costs 10200 after selling the starting shield, i've never been one to stack any of the Dorans items because it only delays your full build and this one is pretty expensive as is.

While they do give you extra survivability, I would suggest buying the Giants belt for Frozen Mallet early(after Avarice Blade) if you are getting focus'd really hard, or having trouble staying alive. Vampiric Scepter and Giants belt are a better choice than multiple Dorans Blades. 3 Blades = 360HP? 12% Lifesteal and 12 Damage (Top of my head numbers, and Cost you about 1300 Gold. Where as the Belt and Scepter together cost you 1560, and turn into some of the core items for this build.

Boots of Mobility are good if you have gotten early kills to accelerate your build and have spare money for Green Potions and don't really need the CC Reduction from Mercs, they do help you get to ganks faster and do allow faster positioning in team fights, but I don't find them worth it compared to the CC Redux or the AS from Zerks.

The little bit of armor from Doran's Shield combined with Magic Resist Glyphs keeps you from being too squishy though if you decide to run those instead of Flat CDR. I really don't see the need for multiple Blades because of this.

Quote:
Resilga:
+1 for no malady.
Some people swear by mobility so they can quickly adjust to the dynamic movement of a teamfight while the player is stealthed.

Is this a bad idea to you or simply not your style?

How often do you find yourself getting infinity edge? Do you ever get a phantom dancer, black cleaver or another blood thirster?
See my point above about Mobility boots, I consider them very situational.

After Frozen Mallet if I can spare it I usually build more DPS, and Cleaver is the item that I get next usually. I'll edit the guide to clarify this.

Phantom Dancer not so much, if you are using the 21/9/0 masteries and Dodge seals it can help a little with survive, but the attack speed on it is a waste. Without those masteries and runes you basically get Crit Chance and Movespeed only.

Second Bloodthirster is also good for even more lifesteals, but Cleaver wins out over a second Bloodthirster because of the stacking debuff.

Quote:
SmecssRaege:
no black cleaver (twitch is probably the single best cleaver-effect stacker in the game with his insane ASPD and ulti) makes me sad :-( but it's your build/guide, so all the power to you :-)
Editing the guide to include Black Cleaver after this Frozen Mallet or Phage. I forgot to include this. :P Thanks for reminding me

Blux

10-13-2010

Bump.

I played Twitch today and decided to stray from my guide and build Madreds Bloodrazor, and Black Cleaver as my main items, I followed up with phage and cloak of agility, it didn't feel like it had the umph that my item setup in the guide has...

Gonna keep sticking with this, hopefully someone else has tried it and can give me some feedback from their perspective.

Erik von Darkmoor

10-13-2010

If you want a good Twitch guide:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=188069

Haruhiist

10-13-2010

No mention of Infinity Edge or criticals? Building critical chance up to about 50% with an IE rush is very popular on Twitch, why do you not advocate it? I've never been screwed over by no criticals before, so RNG isn't much of a reason.

Double Stacker

10-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blux View Post

Attack speed is nearly useless on Twitch, he can almost cap out with just his ultimate and the attack speed buff when leaving stealth.
I used to agree with this. However it should also be noted that attack speed yellows and blues add a much stronger early game, especially if you gank early and often.

It's really about preference and play style. I just try to play the characters to their strengths, not buff their weaknesses.

I feel that good positioning and knowing when to spray and pray is more important than being able to take 2-3 extra hits as if you positioned right after the other team blew their cds you have easy kills and they should drop before they realize that your behind them.

i'll def give your build a try though as i feel that it's more consistant. kudos.

Lawful

10-14-2010

Early attack speed is good but you can suffice with a dagger from your zerkers buildup for it, you don't have to go asfar as to waste valuable rune slots for it.

You should keep the rune slots for whats more important, which is Crit and Arpen.