The Meta and LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cowsep

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2012

Hello,

I'm an older player, not the oldest of oldest, I started in late November of 2009. Right as the Closed Beta came to a wrap.

I have maybe 1600 wins in Normal Mode and some odd amount in ranked that I can't remember (Do they show up in profile?). I probably have 1400~1500 losses as well so that is a lot of hours wasted playing this game. My friend I started with is up to 2800ish normal wins now... so I'm potentially missing out on 1300 games since I stopped playing with her. I have 1400 games on Heroes of Newerth, and 400 something games on DoTA 2. I like the genre a lot and each game has their own ups and downs.

I used to enjoy LoL a lot but the past year and a half I touched it maybe every other month or two or three times a month. I wondered why the game's popularity died for me especially since I was taking a great interest in the HoN / DoTA despite their lack of popularity. I left it to wondering, and didn't really touch the game again for months at a time. First, don't get me wrong, this isn't a HoN is better or DoTA is better thread, I just want to reflect my experiences on why I feel LoL has lost its spark for me and maybe someone has a solution on how to reignite the passion.

So last week I downloaded and installed Korean LoL because I wanted to work on my Korean. I figure I used to like LoL a lot so practicing a new language would make it more fun, right? Immediately being thrown into a game I am badgered by people under the level of 13, no flash, telling me to go support. That is great and all, but I don't want to go support. To me, this role is not fun. However, unfortunately, everyone is locked in (Brand mid, graves bot, and I can't remember the other two, however roles were taken.) I decided to play what I wanted to play, after all, I just came home from work, this is a normal game, no try hard, time to relax.

I get insulted by the players and people asking the other team to report me.

What?

It was then I realized why I play HoN and DoTA more than LoL:

The meta does not extend into the casual ranked game mode (MMR or Normal Mode). I can play whatever I want to play in HoN and I will not get flamed. I can play whatever I want in DoTA and I will not get flamed. This is how LoL USED to be. The only role you had to call was mid, you did not have to declare you was AD bot, or Bruiser solo top, or Jungle.

In HoN or DoTA, no one declares a role immediately [except mid], no one says "oh these roles are filled so pick another [Unless we have something ridiculous like 3 carries or no carries at all but even then the community is rather lenient]".

I've been around LoL through all the metas (I believe), and this is by fair the worst and longest lasting. The days of Support meta, push meta, AoE meta, pick eve and win meta, udyr meta, are all over. For the past at least 1 year, we have been following this stale meta. It's effective, maybe, but it isn't fun.

When I come home and want to play some funny double lane bottom to relax from work, something that could be effective, something to hit the meta with a hammer, I can't do that on LoL anymore. If I try, someone will afk, someone will get angry with me, the team is fighting before the game even started.

When I first started LoL back in 2009, one of my first "real" games was a Shaco / Kassadin lane on bottom. It was a ton of fun. I enjoyed it a lot. We got some kills, we did well, we lost. No one was mad no one was bitter.

When I started LoL (on KR) in 2012, my first real game was with Nasus bottom, and it was no fun. I got insulted and learned a lot of new Korean cuss words. We won, but my experience was a somber one.

This isn't to say Korean players are anymore rude than LoL players or that HoN players are nicer than LoL players, it simply states that the emphasis on this new meta, or the fact that this new meta exists as the concrete strategy for victory, has driven my ability to enjoy the game to be almost non-existent.

I thought I'd share my story and observations in case anyone had any advice or stories to share about this.

I really do miss the days when I could play anything bot I wanted, or double up top without anyone complaining. Brings back memories of when I first bought Anivia and went bottom and did well! Those days are gone, and it is sad because even a new player will never get to experience it, because even smurfs are enforcing the meta.

Hoping one day to see a new meta. I'll be the first one on day after the patch.

Thanks for reading.

Cowsep

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2012

My thread died a painful death.

Nana A Deviluke

12-09-2012

Get 4+ friends. The more the better as there is an increasingly higher chance of at least 4 of them being on if you have more friends.
Make a premade 5.
Do whatever the **** you want.
???
Profit and enjoy happiness with friends who you can laugh about whatever silly strategies you decide to use.

Cowsep

12-09-2012

I live in Korea, my full friends list on USA all live in different time zones. I prefer to play KR for the ping anyway.

I've been adding some of the people I know in real life to play with however they are extremely and have lives. It is difficult to get a real game going. I can also feel animosity from people when games do not swing into wins.

I also feel like having people rely on me or me relying on them is extremely negative, especially since I don't stay at home all day like I used to (yes, when I was 14 I was on a vent 24-7 with friends and I always had several people to play with.) I don't have this luxury anymore. Also, I don't want to be around the same people all the time, I want to meet new people. If I was content with a lesser social interaction there are always bot games to benefit from.

Although your suggestion is good, to some, just does not fit my circumstance.

Thanks for the reply though.

raynac

12-09-2012

why not play a weird support, hell i carried with suport annie once. I find as long as you communicate your intent people are pretty forgiving

Nana A Deviluke

12-09-2012

Who said you had to know the people in real life?

I have a good social circle of somewhere around 60 people whom I only know via online play and a few chats. I get on VOIP with these people from time to time and we have fun playing.

It's surprisingly easy to be a little chatty in game and ask someone to add you - or just send a friend request after the game. Play a few rounds with them and get some conversation going. They are just another person sitting down at a computer just like you. Not very different from meeting someone at a bar in real life. Just have to introduce yourself and chat a bit.

I don't see whats stopping you from doing that unless your Korean isn't good enough for even small talk.

Fenstick

12-09-2012

Just play bots? if you just want to have fun, that will solve both the "boredom" you have with the meta and the toxic players.

Also, from what I understand, Koreans take gaming very seriously. You shouldn't be surprised if they feel like you're trying to screw with their success.

Cowsep

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana A Deviluke View Post
Who said you had to know the people in real life?

I have a good social circle of somewhere around 60 people whom I only know via online play and a few chats. I get on VOIP with these people from time to time and we have fun playing.

It's surprisingly easy to be a little chatty in game and ask someone to add you - or just send a friend request after the game. Play a few rounds with them and get some conversation going. They are just another person sitting down at a computer just like you. Not very different from meeting someone at a bar in real life. Just have to introduce yourself and chat a bit.

I don't see whats stopping you from doing that unless your Korean isn't good enough for even small talk.
I never said they had to be a real life individual.

On every game I max my friends list, meeting people is not the issue.

In Korea now, I do not have the luxury of VOIP anymore (although I did in the states), because my girlfriend hates listening to me talk about games, and I respect that so I settle with my headphones.

I'm not anti-social or awkward in anyway, I just get really tired of playing with the same people consistently, since my first 2000 games on LoL were with my ex-girlfriend and our friends, every, single, game. Also growing up I was into group games and as such I want something new.

I do add people occasionally and we do replay sometimes, but usually after a day or two we split our ways, or one of us is in-game while the others aren't, and we just don't have the time to wait (want a quick game or what not)

They have a solo queue option, and if I want to have fun I just can't use it.

@Fenstick

I'm a PvP orientated player, I absolutely hate bots as I feel they're too easy. I like the challenge players give me. I competed in 2009 in an international tournament for a different game in Korea (In which I ended up losing, but it was fun!). Competition is my nature, however, the 100% victory at all cost is not in my nature. The act of competition is. Also lol @ the success thing. Perhaps, but even English players suffer this mentality.

@ray

I did sometimes, and I don't like sitting in lane giving all my CS away, that isn't fun. That is the role people expect you to take though, if you aren't quick enough at selecting your hero. I usually pick someone with some CC and just go bot and take CS here and there but still get harassed to all living hell.

JoeDerp

12-09-2012

I realise this isn't the point of the thread, but you didn't enjoy playing Nasus bot?
He's my go-to champion whenever I have to play support.

lunax3

12-09-2012

I agree the meta is a bit stale and lack of fun sadly i don't see it changing it till the pro/high elo players decide somethings better.