Nami Lore feels incomplete

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SufferNot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

I had mentioned this in another topic on the subject, but I'll say it here too.

It makes more sense to me that Nami's Lore is all about why she came to the surface and not why she joined the League. Her people didn't have the time for her to fight political battles in the League, they had a very strict timeline before their current Moonstone runs out and they get eaten by angler fish.

The only organization (that has been mentioned so far) dealing with the Moon would be the Lunari, who are mysteriously absent for reasons the Solari do not want anyone to know about. So it makes sense that Nami would seek to work together with Diana, who would be thrilled to meet someone who has even tangential knowledge of her lost people. Together, the two would have all sorts of fun and exciting adventures while searching for the moonstone, and in addition to finding the stone they would also find friendship in each other.

This would in turn lead to Nami joining the League. Her journey above the surface and specifically the knowledge that someone (the Solari) had interests that could easily lead to the extinction of her people were enough to convince her to join up and start earning influence.

This is great news for Diana, because it means she is no longer a loner. She has allies now, and while it would be easy for the world's politicians to ignore her cries of injustice over the loss of the Lunari (since no one remembers them), it's a lot harder to ignore the very near extinction of an entire species because of their (alleged) actions.

Or at least that is how I interpret it. I find it a more compelling scenario than "Nami just joins the League for months and her people all die because she isn't looking for a stone when she's being the ward slave on Summoner's Rift."

Eletale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

Her lore is actually the most logical one in a while, as at least you could suppose the gaining of influence would help her meet the people she's looking for. She just need to make that part of her mission public knowledge, and perform well enough to get supporters willing to help her. Old School LoL lore, like with Morgana or Malz.

FeedingTrollNoob

12-22-2012

Thats because it is. I'm honestly convinced they fired anyone who had anything to do with decent writing. They don't even bother giving champions a reason why they would join the league. Nami would want to get back to her people. And for example, Elise, would want what she is to be a secret. Yet, we get **** like this:

Elise joined because: "Yolo im a spider motha f*cker!"

Nami joined because: Water and stuff, sh*t i dont f*cking know, wouldnt she want to find the moonstone and get the f*ck back to her people asap? No? gonna fight in the league for no reason? sweet.

And look at all of Zed's speech. "Ninja this, ninja that!" Lazy writing. They stopped caring, officialy. They just want to vomit out as many champions as they can for money.

Changing Soraka and Warwicks lore to suck hard for no reason, making Viktors lore terrible because they couldnt think of anything original for Jayce. It's going downhill fast.

Xulsigae

12-23-2012

Big thing about Nami's is the time limit. Is she going to find the stone and then continue with the League? If that was written, it would allow the lore to move along. If she just sticks around for years, that doesn't give her story any sense of urgency or purpose.

Birdy51

12-24-2012

I am a bit late to this party, but I actually like Nami's lore quite a bit. I'll see if I can't redeem a bit in your eyes.

First off, I find that Nami's relationship with the Lunari is a fairly dynamic one, as opposed to the "lol, I needs a stone you have" that its made out to be. Believe it or not, I highly doubt Diana has any clue what the heck Nami is talking about.

Think about it. If a floating mermaid women came to me requesting a moonstone, I would have no clue what I would do. Diana, having only just received her role fairly recently, undoubtably has no clue that she just inherited the role of defending an entire ocean race from oblivion. Despite being the Lunari's Avatar, her past is still a complete mystery. The only clues she has is a painting and the relics she took with her when she devasted the Solari stronghold. Due to this, Diana has absolutely no information to draw upon regarding the moonstone. This does not bode well for Nami. Diana also has bigger fish to fry, considering her vendetta against the Solari. So, it would take a lot of convincing to just drop everything to go fishing for information about a stone that she has only the vaguest ideas about.

Suppose that Nami does strike a deal with Diana. What then? Where do they start fishing for information? In my opinion, there are only two people on Runeterra who might have access to the information they require. The first, is Taric. Laugh all you want but lets be honest, if you need any information on rare gems he would probably be a good bet. He would also be able to at least shed some light on abyssal pearl as well, Nami's artifact. This only goes so far however, as Taric probably doesn't know where to find these stones on Runeterra. His information can help them, but only so much.

The second option however if a bit less friendly to deal with, moreso applying to Diana. There is only one place where information on the Lunari is known to exist, but unfortunately this information happens to be under the control of a rather angry woman. Leona.

It is in the Solari temple that Diana first gained her powers, so it stands to reason that there is more Lunari artifacts just waiting to be discovered. Information Solari elders desperately tried to hide. But, after her "outburst" Diana has no chance of getting inside while Leona still stands guard. The elders may have been fairly easy to defeat, but the champion of the sun is not a woman to be trifled with. Indeed, attempting to fight her in the Solari Temple is paramount to suicide, regardless of what aid Nami might be able to give.

So the only option from Nami's point of view, is diplomacy. Which is a laughable idea at best. Considering the pairs burning hatred against eachother, she has the herculean task of somehow reconciling the two. If she fails to do so, dire tidings of speculative doom will befall her friends in the deep. What a lovely consequence for failure! This isn't like Skarner, where saving her people is impossible. No, Nami has to suceed in trying to get the Solari and the Lunari on speaking terms.

Somehow, Nami must mediate between the two warring parties, because she needs help from both. Diana is useless without the information she needs from the Solari. Yet, the quest for the moonstone is useless without Diana's aid. There is a reason Diana is necessary in this whole equation, so angering Diana by going to the Solari for aid is out of the question.

Now, I have neglected a third party. Considering the vast influence it has over Runeterra, it would only make sense that Nami would go to the League. By fighting as a champion, she gains influence. People have to start listening to her. Get enough influence and things get done. Now, how she plans to use her influence is a mystery. She could theoretically demand information on the moonstone from the Solari. Nami could also simply pool her influence in with Diana or Leona in order to gain favor with them, essentially bribing them if she has to. Secondly, the League matches are watched across the realm, and therefore she gains a pedestal to declare her intentions. People will see her plight, and hopefully they will try to help her because of it. Nami may have a few allies already.

There is one person in the League who almost certainly shares her experiences deeply. He is a certain meryordle creature called Fizz. Afterall, their plights are strangly similar and coincide darkly. His people completely disapeared off the face of Runeterra. Nami is trying to escape a similar fate. Therefore, I would be inclined to say that she has a formidable and stoic ally in Fizz. Which is good, because she really needs friends right now who can both relate to her plight and help her understand the world of the surface dwellers. You're expecting a lot out of a mermaid to completely undertand land-dweller ettique in such a short time.

Now, I'm going to go into deeper speculation here, so bear with me. Diana received her powers rather suddenly, didn't she? The Lunari cult was long considered dead, and yet she was born with the moonlight in her eyes. Now look at Nami. If I didn't know any better, I would say that they are of a similar age. Leona is the same way. All three champions have only fairly recently ascended to their posts. Now, I think there is something rather peculiar about this.

This to me suggests there may be more to this story than meets the eye. Nami, Diana, and Leona are players in a larger plot than themselves. My speculations end here, as I can't even begin to wager any guesses upon the meaning of this.

So no, I respectfully disagree that Nami's plot is shallow mess.

Xulsigae

12-24-2012

So why is she going to be a member of the League forever if she needs to get the stone and then go back to her people? Unless the lore is written so that she finds it and then gives it to her people and then she comes back for whatever reason, it doesn't really make for a story fraught with peril.

Birdy51

12-24-2012

Who said anything about fighting forever?

There are champions like Nami in this respect, like Olaf and Zilean. They both are well aware of their goals from the League, and would probably leave it at the first chance they get. The idea that a champion isn't here to "test their power" or "fight for funsies" is always refreshing. But, even if she does get her stone, I have no doubt there will be some kind of score to settle on Runeterra. Deals with the devil could always be made to ensure her people's survival, not unlike the one Kayle had to make. Ask yourself this question: What would make Nami comeback if she managed to get the Moonstone? There could be some fairly solid reasons that would keep her in the League.

Secondly, these issues aren't figured out as quickly as you might make it. We don't know how much time Nami has to work with, or how receptive Diana is to her. For all we know, it could take her a long time to convince Diana to act. Or one meeting could suffice. Even then, how will Leona act? We don't know these answers, and to be honest I prefer it that way.

There is a good saying that fits here. Attempt to fill up every detail and the story becomes bland. Leave threads that make a man think, then you have them hooked.

A long while back, I thought Darius was a shallow character. To an extent he still think he is. But then I was asked a question. If Darius had to choose to save Noxus and Draven, who would he choose? If he saves Noxus, he's a cold hearted man like he is on the outside. If he chooses his brother, then he suddenly becomes a lot more interesting.

I say give Nami more credit than you are willing to allow. You may find a bit more to like about her than you imagine.

Xulsigae

12-24-2012

I have nothing against Nami as a champ. It's the way her story is written. It's not Nami I have an issue with, but the lore written about her...if that makes sense. I think the Diana connection is being over done so far, since her lore only mentions a moonstone, not Diana personally.
Fighting forever as in her lore never moves forward. She comes to the League...and then that's it. No progress. We never hear more of her quest and it becomes kinda silly to attach a time limit to it, even if it's nonspecific.

Birdy51

12-24-2012

Well, it does a bit more than mention a moonstone. It mentions someone else who gave her the moonstone, which is why I place a lot of emphasis on Diana as well.

Also, we've yet to see anyone's lore move forward for a long time. It's not just Nami. Swain's the leader of Noxus as of the last JoJ... Now what?

It's equally silly to pick on her on that point, because no one seems to be making any progress! At least with Nami there is a sense of urgency to her mission, if only slightly. But, I suppose that is only my opinion.

Xulsigae

12-24-2012

Not picking on just Nami. It's the inclusion of a time limit of sorts, something to give a sense of urgency, but ultimately she's going to be around forever in game terms, UNLESS Riot decides to move her lore along, along with everyone else's I hope.

Ultimately, I'm asking for more movement among Lore in Riot. Nami is just one of the most recent and the one with false sense of urgency due to lack of lore progress.