A modest sightstone suggestion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gailie

12-08-2012

I would like to make a small suggestion to sightstone. In addition to showing how many charges the sightstone has, could you also find a way to show how many ghost wards are out? It actually happens to be significantly more difficult to keep track of which ghost wards are still up, which ones are regular wards, and who's ghosts wards belong to who should there be more than one sightstone on your team (which is a very probable situation) then it is to keep count of how many ghost wards you have placed since your last back. It becomes especially problematic when you have both sight wards and sightstone (I play support, 2 wards don't cut it), and it can be very alarming to place a ward only to suddenly see a large portion of the mini map go blank in response. I am not saying it's a bad mechanic to have ghost wards disappear when you go over the limit, I am just saying that there needs to be an easy way to tell when you have reached the limit. Other than that, great job Riot, keep it up!

Gailie

12-09-2012

bump for really wanting this to not be ignored among the pile of black cleaver topics out.

IceSick

12-09-2012

Umm...It does doesnt it? Like right above your abilltys on the bottom? Thats how I keep track...And it does upgrade to to be able to place 3 at a time. To answer the other part of your question..maybe make ghost wards orange on the map while reg wards green and pink stay green?

Gailie

12-09-2012

No, it tells you how many wards you have left. So for example, say you place 2 wards and back. It will show four stacks on the sightstone "passive". Now say you forget you place the previous two wards and place a third one, the first one you placed will disappear, leaving a potentially vital area unwarded. This is not inherently bad, and may even be a good decision at times, but at the moment it is very difficult to tell which wards are still up. To be absolutely clear, at the moment, the item has a "passive" whose stacks show how many wards you have left, it does not show you how many wards are currently active and it is very difficult to keep track of that. My suggestion is to make it easier because there is no real reason not to.

HuoMao

12-10-2012

That's a good idea. Maybe make Sight Stone wards look significantly different from regular wards.

Jasper Jjkj

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

you are suppose to know how to manage the wands u place, knowing which wards will disappear given u place a new ward down.

Gailie

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper Jjkj View Post
you are suppose to know how to manage the wands u place, knowing which wards will disappear given u place a new ward down.
It is plenty difficult enough simply keeping the places warded, keeping your ADC alive, making sure you are present for every major teamfight, and if you are really good, you'll gank mid every now and then and help mid win lane. The added difficulty of keeping track which wards are ghost wards, which ghost wards are your ghost wards and not a team mates, and which ghost wards you can afford to lose is completely unnecessary.

Beaumains

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceSick View Post
Umm...It does doesnt it? Like right above your abilltys on the bottom? Thats how I keep track...And it does upgrade to to be able to place 3 at a time. To answer the other part of your question..maybe make ghost wards orange on the map while reg wards green and pink stay green?
Not orange, that would be confusing with pink wards (esp for colorblind players), but a slightly different color is not a bad idea.

However, to the OP, I have to agree to some extent with another commentor that Heim, Cait, Nid, & others have already had to master the art of knowing their 'ward' orders, so it's not too much to ask that sightstone users learn the same skills.

On the other hand, the situation you describe is akin to having two Heimers (not heimer-like; exact duplicates) on the same team and thus making it difficult to determine which ward(s) is/are yours. Simple solution (and by "simple" I mean that only in the end-product way) is to make only your ghost wards show up (and on the minimap) as a different color. Alternatively, you could buy ward skins if they're still for sale.

In short, this just sounds like a QoL change overall, and provided it's not made so as to trivialize Heim/Cait/Nid players' accomplisments, or otherwise detriment the game, I'm all for it.

Gailie

12-11-2012

The difference between Hiemer's turrets and ghost wards is one, you will only have one hiemer on your team at any time and two, Heimer's turrets look WAY different from wards. You bring up a decent point with Hiemer/Cait/Nid but the thing is that all of them place things that looks significantly different than wards. The only situation that I can think of that's even remotely similar is having a Cait/Nid bot lane, and while that is a perfectly fine bot lane, it is very edge case whereas the "problem"(in quotes only because not everyone seems to consider it one) I am bringing up is significantly more common. Anyway, the suggested change is 100% meant to be a QoL change and I cannot see how it would affect balance in any way what so ever.

*edit*
oh, and ward skins are no longer for sale, which is somewhat saddening but doesn't really address the problem as it effects all wards you place, not just ghost ones.

Gailie

12-13-2012

It would appear that Riot is on the board again, yay!