Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Slay Belle Katarina. And you. And Morello.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LastLaughLol

12-08-2012

Here is quote from a Red/Morello? Regarding what has been said about this skin and opinion of theirs, so far. You can skip this.

-"They can keep making sexy skins, but Katarina is a bad-ass assassin. Not a stripper."
-"You’re right. This doesn’t really fit with her thematically, and it’s too much. We’ll be removing it.

I need to be clear about something here: the reason we're removing it (and make no mistake, we are) is because there's a lot of places where we're happy to do that, as you guys have noticed, but this skin was not the right place for this sort of thing.

Nidalee has a spear, easily a pole. She's also generally closely related to "hot night elf chick" and has some innate *** appeal to her - pole dance is awesome here.

Katarina in Reindeer ears with a pole dance is just off. It's not about right and wrong, it's not about sensitivity, it's about "what makes sense with this content?"

If you want to think there's some PC police that guide our hand, I can't stop you, but do a quick search on our thoughts to the contrary of this (go look in the spider queen or Nami threads) you'll find that we normally go forward with it when we believe it's the right choice for the champ or skin. In this case, it's just not.

Let me slow down and give you a more nuanced explanation herd (I tend to get caught up in the rapid-fire of volume posts coming in and post too quickly to fully communicate the intended thought):

Let's take a look at two sexy female champions, using their bases as an example: Miss Fortune andKatarina.

Miss Fortune Over-the-top pirate hunter. Outwardly sexualized to a point of character definition. "****ty" personality, "hot girl."

Katarina Deadly, sadistic dagger assassin. Sleek, quick and deadly. Shows cleavage and midriff to make attractive, but not seductive personality-wise. Keeps it sleek and quick - not a lot of adornment.

These characters are both really sexy from a proportions and clothing standpoint (equally so in a lot of ways). However, Miss Fortune's base should blast you with sexuality and never conserve on it - it's important to everything she is designed to be.

Katarina is generally sexy as an aside, not as a primary motivator. She's a cool assassin either way, having her be hot just makes her generally more visually appealing. Sexiness is secondary to cool.

You can do the same thin on Kitty Kat Katarina and the Christmas Katarina skin. Kitty Kat Kat is "that ****ty costume on Halloween" start to finish. Christmas Kat uses more Christmas tropes overall, and that tends to be the theme - it has sexiness because Katarina is sexy overall, but it's a secondary theme. High Command Katarina is the same in this regard (though more serious).

We may disagree, and that's OK, but this is the evaluation type we're talking about here. Maybe we sold "sexy" more than intended, maybe it's the read from the animation itself overall, but it's secondary to the character - not primary. Sexuality is more primary on Nidalee too (which is why we didn't change her pole dance on the rework).

Hopefully this makes more sense, in context. Gonna put this up front for more visibility."

------While this is correct , it may not fit exactly with her, but that is what skins are meant to do. They are alternatives to the original skin for the users enjoyment and entertainment. That is the core of skin philosophy. Slay Belle Katarina is a LIMITED TIME SKIN. With that in mind, it should be more enticing and more daring per se. Because, after Christmas, you probably wont see it that much. You want it to be awesome, you want to make it different, and you want to make other players envious that you have it.

By removing the pole dancing animation, youre really taking away an amazing part of the skin, that the animators/programmers have put in work, and that a lot of players who saw that skin in that original state,wanted so much. I agree. Why waste the effort of the people who worked on it. Why lose money on the skin because a lot of players wanted that skin, specifically because of the awesome new recall animation for Katarina. The reason a lot of players wanted/want this skin is because of the base model resembling Kitty Kat Katarina, and the recall animation. If that was not the case. There would not be so many threads about this skin. People really want that recall animation. Its new, its cool, its sexy. As soon as I saw it, I told my GF I was going to get it for her because it looked awesome. But now without the recall animation, the skin lost its luster. You could say "Well what if they shipped it without the recall animation?" Then I wouldve never even thought about getting that skin. A good chunk of players will not buy the skin because of this, while, its trivial to Riot Games, as Katarina is one of the most popular champions and because of the income they make nonetheless, it will still hurt the skins sales, and disatisfy the customers.

Let's go back to the "thematically incompatible" arguement for the existance of Slay Belle Katatrina's recall animation. So you say that a pole dance, does not fit, a short skirt, half her ---- showing, exposed back/shoulders, tight-striped leggings, wearing champion.So our Noxian Assassin, can dress like Santas Naughty Helper, but she cant do a pole dance while doing so?

Sinful Succulence Morgana. Also, thematically incompatible. An immortal angel, wearing an apron,a chefs hat and cooking?

Desperada Cassiopeia. She came from the wild west? Wearing a sombrero? Interesting.

Mr. Mundoverse. Dr. Mundo, the Madman of Zaun, serial killer and mad scientist. Working out at the gym, in his gym gear.Thats quite some hobby on the side he has, whilst hes not killing people.

Bandito Fiddlessticks/Surprise Party Fiddlesticks- Went from being a silent slayer to, throwing parties and being a bandit?

The list goes on and on.

Point is. Skins arent meant to be thematically compatible with the champions and their lore. That is the whole point of skins, theyre supposed to be alternates to existing champions to give them another form/look,that is different from the default one, to appease the user, and to let them enjoy their champion even more. That is why, Slay Belle Katarina should not be changed. Her skin is not different than any other whacky skin that has ever been released in our League.

Edit: For people who do not know what I am talking about. This is the current state of the Katarina skin and recall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZx_Ada5Euk&feature=player_embedded

This is the old recall animation:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegBQUjAv-k&feature=player_embedded

Postal Miku

12-08-2012

Being randomly sIutty is a more lewd subject then someone randomly throwing partys or being a chef...

Some people would probably be a little offended if their new skin portrayed their fave champion as a **** hoe, just OUT OF THE BLUE
And as always, some people would enjoy it, but an addition like this to a champion skin is REALLY not for the people who enjoy the champion, it's for the people who hardly even recognise the champion

Ben is stupid

12-08-2012

What is the whole deal about this kat skin

Klastos

12-08-2012

If they don't want her to come across that way then they need to redo the entire skin because her outfit says much the same thing her recall did. I don't have a problem either way but it is certainly meant to be a sexy Christmas outfit just the same way that the recall is meant to be a sexy dance.

Avalon Bright

12-08-2012

OP I've already said the exact same things you did.

Dark Valkyrie Diana.
Nami's Voice.
Freljord Ashe art change.
Lux skins.

Riot either somehow has no idea what people want or they just give absolutely zero ****s about listening to the community when it comes to art and skins.

What happened to the Riot that actually cared when people threw a fit over Hooker Lux? Apparently they got kicked out with the lore team.

Postal Miku

12-08-2012

Quote:
Klastos:
If they don't want her to come across that way then they need to redo the entire skin because her outfit says much the same thing her recall did. I don't have a problem either way but it is certainly meant to be a sexy Christmas outfit just the same way that the recall is meant to be a sexy dance.

Dressing that way, while is kinda sIutty in it's own right, most females dress to look sexy on special occasions, because they dress to impress, a much more lighthearted approach to the situation then sexually implying that she is a sIut with her full on stripper pole dance

Heck when I first saw this Kat skin, I was slightly impressed, I found it looked sexy, then I watched the video of the skin and all I could think of the skin after that was that it was a total cop out and made Kat look like a total hoe

Pantazi

12-08-2012

Quote:
Klastos:

Without that pole, her skin makes pretty much no sense to me. Without she is a dork in reindeer antlers.

Alex3omg

12-08-2012

The issue is she doesn't have ANYTHING to do with candy canes and they suddenly there's a giant one and she's dancing on it in a very ****ty manner.

It'd be like if Sinful Succulence Morgana had a recall animation where she makes a martini. She's a baker, so it that doesn't fit.

Riot is often pretty retarded (lately skins, lore, some champion design decisions) but this is one I agree with. It should never have left the drawing board... they should have added it as a bonus to the NIDALEE christmass skin since they're remaking it. Why it was ever related to the Kat skin is baffling... and the whole skin is the same **** as the MF one but at least she had cute candy cane guns.

Pantazi

12-08-2012

Quote:
Hostile Miku:
Dressing that way, while is kinda sIutty in it's own right, most females dress to look sexy on special occasions, because they dress to impress, a much more lighthearted approach to the situation then sexually implying that she is a sIut with her full on stripper pole dance

Heck when I first saw this Kat skin, I was slightly impressed, I found it looked sexy, then I watched the video of the skin and all I could think of the skin after that was that it was a total cop out and made Kat look like a total hoe

Im sorry. I would never dress like that to anything but a halloween party. That is women's national day to dress like a ****, not christmas.

Krimson62

12-08-2012

This post takes alot of stuff he said out >.> and the people he was quoting... I'm all for a good argument but this is very misleading...

You should just link to the original post you pulled them from