Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Vi's Voice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redeemed In Fire

12-08-2012

Does anyone else feel the tone between VO lines is super inconsistent? Compare (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Vi/Background) "Here i come to save the day... or wreck it!", "Plan? I don't need a plan.", and "Sometimes you gotta make a door."

5 different tones in 3 lines, "Here i come to save the day" feels really flat, and i almost swear some of these lines were read by a different voice actor.

To be specific, the following are the lines I have a problem with:
"I'm doing this my way."
Let's get crackin'."
"Plan? I don't need a plan."
"Let's get to the fun part!"
"If you hit a wall, hit it hard!"
Some of the jokes feel a bit off as well, though less so.

Quote:
Ergheis:
I get what you're saying OP, but it's not just tone, that's a confusing term.

For example, "Punch First, ask questions while punching" has no rise at the end of it. She sounds like she's saying that for the sake of saying it, and she says it recklessly as if she doesn't get why that's a bad thing, which is cool.

On the other hand, "Plan? I don't need a plan." sounds more like she's TELLING someone this. It sounds like she's shrugging when she says "I don't need a plan." This isn't the reckless tone she has in other quotes. It doesn't sound like she's having fun in a fight, it sounds like she's telling someone "I just don't need a plan. Sorry."

To give a good example, if she had said it while going low on the "need" instead of high, there would be a huge difference in her intent. Something that made her sound like she would scoff at the sound of a plan, instead of just rejecting it casually, would be completely different, yes.

Basically, some of them sound like she's calm and casually being a destructive person, and some of them sound like she's reckless and enjoys being reckless and destructive. I don't know which direction Riot wants, but having both in there does sound a bit confusing, yes.

^what he said.

Killua ZoIdyck

12-08-2012

They all fit her character personality which is a tough boxer who's first and favorite way to solve problems is with her fists.

XNexasX

12-08-2012

Quote:
ProfCatLady:
They all fit her character personality which is a tough boxer who's first and favorite way to solve problems is with her fists.

her personality reminds me of someone who dives headfirst into things.

Redeemed In Fire

12-08-2012

Quote:
ProfCatLady:

The lines fit her personality, but the way they're read isn't consistent with the rest of them and seem off.

Archdmon

12-08-2012

Best line is

"Punch first.
Ask questions while punching."

Ergheis

12-08-2012

For example, "Punch First, ask questions while punching" has no rise at the end of it. She sounds like she's saying that for the sake of saying it, and she says it recklessly as if she doesn't get why that's a bad thing, which is cool.

On the other hand, "Plan? I don't need a plan." sounds more like she's TELLING someone this. It sounds like she's shrugging when she says "I don't need a plan." This isn't the reckless tone she has in other quotes. It doesn't sound like she's having fun in a fight, it sounds like she's telling someone "I just don't need a plan. Sorry."

To give a good example, if she had said it while going low on the "need" instead of high, there would be a huge difference in her intent. Something that made her sound like she would scoff at the sound of a plan, instead of just rejecting it casually, would be completely different, yes.

Basically, some of them sound like she's calm and casually being a destructive person, and some of them sound like she's reckless and enjoys being reckless and destructive. I don't know which direction Riot wants, but having both in there does sound a bit confusing, yes.

Redeemed In Fire

12-08-2012

Quote:
Ergheis:

You described what I meant so much better than I did so I quoted you in the OP

KillerNoName

12-11-2012

I personally love it. I don't understand why it doesn't sound consistent. The sentences champions say aren't supposed to be constrained to a single session, as long as it fits their personality/lore. As far as tone, it's just your first impressions, and hard to shrug it off. It's all about interpretation, but even if a few people see the same as you, it's definitely not enough to change it, otherwise we'd change all the VOs like all the time, until they all just said stuff like o.k.

Redeemed In Fire

12-11-2012

Quote:
KillerNoName:
I personally love it. I don't understand why it doesn't sound consistent. The sentences champions say aren't supposed to be constrained to a single session, as long as it fits their personality/lore. As far as tone, it's just your first impressions, and hard to shrug it off. It's all about interpretation, but even if a few people see the same as you, it's definitely not enough to change it, otherwise we'd change all the VOs like all the time, until they all just said stuff like o.k.

Every time I listen to "Time to save the day. Or wreck it!" it grates. Tone shifting mid-line from bored to some sort of fake playful, on top of sounding totally different than Vi's "good" lines is really annoying. =/

Scimatth7

12-11-2012

Good, so it's not just me