@IronStylus, Steel Legion Lux

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bLues

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Splash art: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VBecPxYVhA...x_Splash_5.jpg
Newest preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK9x0mNq5Gk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbane View Post
You can see the skin model here: http://i.imgur.com/PCDlP.png
And a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAEOc4-N-9E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Set Tesh View Post
New Particles, with more rainbows and lightning
note still nowhere near finished, but its an update
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPvYR0QHgAo

I understand you like females with clothes on. I understand you like females going into battle with armor.
But why are you doing this to Lux? I get that its a different "theme" and resembles mech more than actual military, but she looks like your common foot soldier.

With that out of the way, onto some criticism:
1) This shouldn't conflict with your ideals- put a full helmet on her. Her face seems out of place in this skin.

2) Give it some actual color. The skin is an ugly, dull, mono-tone like her last two.
To elaborate, look at Full Metal Jayce. Its brightly colored and nice to look at. This is the kind of thing Steel Legion currently needs.

The one thing I do like about the skin, however, is the recall animation. It is surprisingly awesome.

Just try and keep in mind what we've been asking for next time. This is pretty much in the exact opposite direction.

minor edit: The skin has potential, but in its current state I'm still going to rock Spellthief during battle. I don't even care if it gets slapped with a 1350 price tag- make it awesome. Please keep this bumped!
p.s. i apparently passed my 1k win mark even though on profile it only says 982 wins. Lets get a game in sometime.

EDIT: Opinion on the new particles: They're cool, but they make the outfit itself look even worse. Need to make the skin itself match the "flashiness" of the particles.

Some constructive thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkighte View Post
I feel like it needs to move away from "Steel Legion" military armor and go more towards magitech. What I mean is, right now it translates like: there was a suit of armor that Lux just puts on, rather than here's a suit of armor tailor made for Lux. The design needs to be stream-lined, less bulk, no monster thighs and more vibrant; give her a ponytail or something, make it seem like shes a teenage girl. Right now it seems like she's trying on Garen's robot suit (and personally it kind of looks like some futuristic welder).

tl;dr - remove some of the bulk, brighten it up, and make it seem more girly. My own preference: magic-girl tech armor (less military more magic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3rry P0ppinz View Post
I've said in other threads to bring the light steel colour down to her pants, like her knee plates as well as some parts of the shoes. I think it'll look nicer and more consistent if the light steel colour is incorporated into her pants as well. And I feel like her arms look really heavy so maybe they can trim the armor there a bit? And they should make her thighs less fat... I'm not sure if it's the armor making it appear this way or her actual body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwill222 View Post
Hi IronStylus, thanks a lot for your involvement in this thread. Long time reader, never spoken to you directly I don't think.

In the other long thread regarding Steel Legion Lux, I think I was one of a small handful who regularly posted in support of Steel Legion Lux, so I thought that since you said you wanted more feedback from all sides of the conversation I might put my two cents in.

Firstly, Lux was the first champ I ever played, has been my favourite ever since and I think I fall comfortably in the category of a Lux lover. I currently own Spellthief Lux. I was really excited when I heard about Commando Lux, but chose not to grab it when I saw the in-game model. Then when I heard of Imperial Lux coming up, I was so excited, but the end product really didn't appeal to me at all. I really don't wish to offend anyone at Riot by that, but that's just some personal feedback.

When I saw this Steel Legion skin, I loved it. But at the same time I can definitely see room for improvement.

The features that I think are great, and seem to have attracted support from those both for/against this skin:
  • Her wand looks awesome (maybe a little big?)
  • Her recall animation rocks
  • She's wearing battle gear that doesn't shamelessly display her body, but still has some of her beauty showing through.

Some possible areas of improvement:
  • The armour generally looks pretty cool imo, but could use a little work. I think if you are able to find a happy medium between the grunge + functionality of its present form and the sleekness/shine of Pulsefire armour that would be more aesthetically pleasing and more Lux-like.
  • The animations are a good start but feel a little clunky and un-Lux-like. I know that new particles will come in to play here too.
  • I personally love her head as is, with her hair/face being on show along with a bit of armour. However, if there was an appropriate helmet it could work well, or others have suggested a ponytail. Either could work, but I actually like it as is.

Obviously you're a little confined by your overall vision for the Steel Legion Theme, but I think if you're able to add a little more flair, flavour and shine to it, you'll avoid the over-saturation of mech that you alluded to, whilst creating a product more fitting to Lux and reaching a wider fanbase.

All the best with the continued production!

OlmStranger

12-08-2012

Much better way to approach this than most of the other threads about the skin. Good work OP.

Tsubakixv

12-08-2012

Yes please I agree if she gets some rad Plasma particles or some crazy hyper beam ****..... Insta buy... She does need something more than just a few moving parts on her armor to make it interesting. Like maybe a FLUX CAPACITOR get it lux - flux? Also needs more color /signed.

Caedarii

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubakixv View Post
Yes please I agree if she gets some rad Plasma particles or some crazy hyper beam ****..... Insta buy... She does need something more than just a few moving parts on her armor to make it interesting. Like maybe a FLUX CAPACITOR get it lux - flux? Also needs more color /signed.
This skin IS getting plasma particles.

bLues

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caedarii View Post
This skin IS getting plasma particles.
New particles is a step in the right direction, but particles alone will not sell me over.

Hanatsu

12-08-2012

This current theme riot is on seems so wasted on Lux. The skin literally looks like your common derp soldier in a fps or arcade shooter and just seems so out of place with everything about Lux's character. Everything from her shooting rainbow tinted light to her laugh or dance just so out of place on a mono toned foot soldier skin.

What saddens me the most is now that this is coming out it will be another year before another chance at a good Lux skin =(.

SoresuMakashi

12-08-2012

I think the general concept and direction is fine. There are already some awesome new animations on her.

But I think it's just a question of "why her? why now?" The timing has people a bit surprised.
a) There have been a lot of sci-fi skins recently
b) Lux already has 2 military-like skins

Also, the largely incomplete teasers that have been released cause the theme to seem less coherent than the final product is likely to be. These 3 factors, combined, have probably been the source of most of the playerbase's grumbling.

I think if Riot had slotted in one "in character" fantasy skin (or, in retrospect, had never released Commando) and spaced out their sci-fi releases, players would be much more open to the concept.

The skin itself is not the problem. The real issue is how it conflicts with the circumstances surrounding Lux. How can the skin be changed to fit the circumstances? As others have suggested, remove the "out-of-character" feel. We already have 2 skins for that. That said, it doesn't have to lose the tech elements. It just has to FEEL like the original, cute, girly, vibrant Lux that has been missing for so long. You guys spent a long time exploring the military theme. That's fine (although the success is arguable). Now it's time to go back.

TL;DR @IronStylus Less Defender Leona, and more vibrant Lux pls.

LouisLeGros

12-08-2012

Yeah the color scheme is kind of boring and boring is like the last thing I want from Lux. The RPG like auto attack animation is pretty awesome though.

Navy Pheonix

12-08-2012

Upon first viewing, one of my friends said, AND I QUOTE:

"If they made this slightly more green and gave her a visor, I would believe you if you told me she was Master Chief / A Spartan"

SoresuMakashi

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Pheonix View Post
Upon first viewing, one of my friends said, AND I QUOTE:

"If they made this slightly more green and gave her a visor, I would believe you if you told me she was Master Chief / A Spartan"
Really? That just reminds me of Commando.